News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Stockyards - Story 81

Started by Abandoned, May 31, 2022, 06:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 12

When Uniqua returned in late winter of year 6, he had ducks but no milk cows.  We were disappointed but happy to trade livestock, wool, and flax for the 8 ducks.  We planned to put them next to the turkeys in a pasture of the same size, but a large shallow pond formed after some heavy early spring rains, so the ducks got a double pasture.  They adjusted well and were soon in the pond and happily eating both corn and sunseeds.  We soon had baby ducklings.

In spring, 2 couples with 3 adult children came from Riverboat Junction.  Three old town worker cabins were built for them next to the other 3 by the town hall, across from the duck pasture.  The newcomers liked the view of the duck pond but wanted to know why there was a little piglet in the pond.  That convinced us that the pigs needed more room.  One of the little piglets squeezed through the pasture fences and was in the pond with the ducks. 

Glenn

Thank you Abandoned, 

CC has what they call trade animals - but I could never do anything with them - they would arrive at the trading post, and I could never move them into a paddock to live, multiply, and trade back.
Perhaps I simply never got it right.

There used to be an old butchering mod that allowed you to trade animals, but it caused game problems so I haven't used it for years.

Abandoned

@Glenn, If not mistaken, I think those CC trade animals are only meant to be raised and used as trade good.  Aren't they found in crates or produced in a special barn.   :-\  I only remember they did not work right.  We thought this might be a good solution. 

Abandoned

Chapter 13

The fact that the newly arrived couples had no young children did not keep us from wondering if our school had enough room for more.  We had 4 children by then and our oldest child would be starting school soon.  So would the little girl in the spacious house by the thatch patch, the 2 girls were the same age.  Our school had 10 students and room for 4 more but it was some distance away and there were other children that would reach school age soon too.  We built a new school across from that thatch patch by the spacious house.

Work continued on the pastures back by the duck pond and worker cabins of the newly arrived couples.  We were hoping to expand our chicken breeding.  Adalia, the gatherer, said there were rabbits back in the forest that were quite tame and wondered if we would want to breed them for trade.  Leannemari, who worked the cabbage patch, said there were often rabbits in the patch even as she worked; they would be easy to catch.  We asked Uniqua, the livestock merchant, if he would be interested in rabbits when he stopped by on his way to Riverboat Junction.  He was still trying to get the milk cows for us.  He was sure there would be customers wanting rabbits if they were available.  People were trying to be more self-reliant with supplies and deliveries the way they were at present.   We prepared the pasture next to the ducks for the rabbits.  We build a rabbit hutch and did some planting to make it more natural for them.  Leannemari brought some cabbage plants for them. 

Abandoned

Chapter 14

As we continued to work on the pastures, we discovered another low-lying area that filled with water every time it rained.  It was more mud than water like the duck pond but we thought it would be a good spot for the pigs.  They were always in their water troughs and wallowing in the water that spill out of them.  We soon had a large area, including the muddy spot, fenced in.  We built 2 coverings, stocked it with food and water, and moved the little piglet from the duck pond to the pig pasture.  He went right to the muddy spot.   By spring of year 8 we had all the pigs relocated to the new pasture.

By summer we had a 3rd water mill built, this one near the wetland area outside the pig pasture.  On the other side of the pasture we built another corn crib to store feed corn.  The pigs were doing well and there were a few more little piglets.

Abandoned

Chapter 15

Paraleen, the general goods merchant, arrived in late winter and took our order for wheat.  He noticed our stockpile of stone and said we could help Red Rock Resort supply the river boatmen with needed stone.  The demand for building supplies was up too.  We were now able to supply livestock to fill most of the river boatman's special orders.  We were still waiting for milk cows.

In summer of year 9, Uniqua brought us 4 goats.  We traded chickens, turkeys, and rabbits.  We stocked the vacant pig pasture with corn and larger water troughs.  It wasn't long before we had a baby goat and goat's milk.  Our babies liked cooked wild oats with goat's milk for breakfast.  In late autumn our order of wheat came and we made creamed wheat with the goats milk.  In early spring of year 10 we had another baby goat.

Our food supply was good and variety, everyone was healthy. 

Abandoned

Chapter 16

In early summer of year 10 we finally got our milk cows.  Uniqua had many orders for milk cows so he hoped they did good here.  He already had orders for the sheep, pigs, and chickens that he took from us in trade.

We had the pasture between the cattle and the pigs ready and waiting for the cows as they made their way down the stockyard path from the trading post.  We had only one small pasture left to fill.  We were seriously considering more chickens.  Every small farmstead wanted chickens.  We would be happy to supply them.

Abandoned

Chapter 17

It was a chilly rainy day in autumn that Uniqua returned with 8 white leghorn chickens.  We did not hesitate to trade for the chickens, and the chickens did not hesitate to follow the sunseed trail down the stockyard path.  They followed on, past the other chickens, the turkeys, the ducks, and the rabbits.

They made themselves right at home in their pasture between the rabbits and the pigs.  They had plenty of sunseeds to keep them content and productive.  We gathered some eggs but left others in the nesting box to hatch.  We had a nice flock of baby chicks in spring of year 11.

Abandoned

Chapter 18

There were more babies in Stockyard too.  The population in spring of year 11 was 91, 54 adults, 24 students, and 13 young children.  Everyone was healthy but not everyone was happy.  There were 32 families but only 23 homes, we were building a few more.  We build another chapel, the new one was by the new school and thatch patch.

We also set up a brewer's workplace in front of the town hall that had become a gathering place.  Ironic that founding families that wanted their houses far from the stockyards now enjoyed strolling along side of them listening to the gentle sounds of the farm animals and bringing their children to see the baby animals.  Watching the ducks was a favorite past time.  Now they could sit and visit and enjoy a cup of ale made with the wheat we traded for whenever the general good merchant came to port. 

There still was occasional talk and speculation about the tragedy that occurred 7 years before when Nell was slain.  Laver and the 2 girls were often seen visiting her grave in the cemetery.  The family still lived on the other side of the town hall.  They were not happy, only Aryam was happy.  To her credit she has been a good stepmother to the girls.  We will probably never know the truth about what happen back then.

Abandoned

Chapter 19

Despite the past tragedy, the vast majority of Stockyards' citizen were happy and all were healthy.  Our crop field, farmyards, hedgerows, and gatherer provided us with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables.  Our stockyards gave us milk, meat, and eggs

We were happy being animal breeders getting farm families worldwide off to a good start by provided needed chickens, turkeys, ducks, rabbits, sheep, pigs, cattle, goats and milk cows.  We had a good life here in Stockyards, and even though the weather was mild year round, we enjoyed watching spring turn into summer.

Have a nice summer, weary traveler. 

The End

Glenn

Abandoned

Abandoned

Kid Animal Breeder has been released.  Find info and link to download here:

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=4202.0

taniu

@Abandoned :D :D :D Thank you very much, great story, congratulations on your brilliant idea when creating this mod. I have a question - it concerns building different shapes of buildings - what is this mod? Can these wall elements be added? new small lumps - to get another wooden lump of the house you used ??? with chapter 17,18,19? I like this idea of building such buildings - I have never personally used this method - I put simple, basic buildings and single-story .Regards

Abandoned

:) Thank you @taniu, I am glad you liked the story and mod  :) 

I think the building you are asking about is the stackable cabins for Kid Old Town Mod.  When you start building, you decide if you want 1 floor house with roof, or you choose 1 floor with no roof, and then when built you add another floor with roof or without.  If without, then you add another on top of that.  You can place building alone or with one right next to it like I did.  Each floor houses a small family of 4.