News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Crash Site- Story 82

Started by Abandoned, June 30, 2022, 05:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 9

I did not understand what KD meant when he said the new couple planned to get 1 child.  You won't believe this, weary traveler.  Their children are born in the Rejuvenator's laboratory in test tubes.  They just decide the characteristics they want in a boy or girl and place an order.  The child is made and incubated in the lab.  They just go pick it up when it is ready to leave the lab.  KD was most interested to learn how we earthlings propagate the species.  It was difficult to explain. We had our first child by the end of the year.

Earlier that year, a market dome was built near the school.  It would be used like a storage unit until we had a spare worker.  We only had 12 workers at the time: 2 laborers, 1 builder, 1 mudd worker, 1 smith, 1 tailor, 1 forester, 1 woodcutter, 2 hunters, 1 fisherman, and 1 herbalist.  The second hunter was working west of the dome where there were 3 herds of boars.  There was an area there with a lot of cacti growing and a lot of cactus fruit to be gathered.  The dome would be the closest storage for those workers to use. 

In late spring of year 3, we were happy that another couple came out of the Mother Ship and built a dome house at the edge of the forest next to the market dome.  They discovered some roots growing in the forest area and a gatherer's workstation was built across from the herbalist.  Our overall health had not improved. 

Abandoned

Chapter 10

We needed an improved diet, we needed grain.  We could not wait until we could get supplies off the Mother Ship.  The first climate-controlled hydro pod was built by the market dome.   We would grow corn in the first pod, but before we could build a 2nd one, we needed more glass. 

A mineral extractor was built by the main stockpile.  It would use less logs which we were always short of, and it would make the wood alloy and glass faster than the mud works.  Until we had more workers, we would only operate the mineral extractor.  A 2nd forester was built west of the complex so we would have enough raw materials to operate both.  The extractor had only just been built when a couple with an adult child came from the Mother Ship.  A canopy house was built for them by the hydro pod, not far from our Command Center.

The newcomers told us that another group of workers would arrive shortly, so to the west of that house, another herb therapist was built in the cactus patch.  It only needed a worker.  The cactus was so pretty, they bloomed every time we got a little rain.

Abandoned

Chapter 11

The new group of workers that arrived consisted of 8 adults and 2 young children.  KD said there was only one or two more groups of workers to leave the Mother Ship, the rest would remain to handle the supplies and the kitchen. This meant that the power supply to the upper part of the ship would be lowered again soon and the supplies would be available.  The cargo doors were on the bottom of the ship and supplies would be lowered onto a riverboat to be brought to us when needed.  We would trade our surplus items for what we needed, our surplus would be taken to the Mother Ship and stored there.  In anticipation, we built a trader dock on the river close to the Mother Ship.

Two more canopy houses were built by the first one for the newly arrived workers.  A second hydro dome was completed and was growing potatoes, a third one would be completed soon.  It would grow beans.  Another canopy house and a small house were also built there.  The trees in the 2nd forest were doing well, and thanks to this latest group of workers, both forest stations now had 2 foresters.

We had a few more rain showers, and the outside temperature had already gone down a little since the first power supply cutting.  A small rest area and playground was being built outside our command center for those who didn't mind the heat.  A corridor to enclose the area was needed as well as a doorway in the corridor by the school.  The area was quite nice when it was completed.

Abandoned

Chapter 12

The medical team and lab workers would be among the last to leave the ship but we built a Rejuvenator to have it ready when they arrived.  The main computer station and scanner would remain on the Mother Ship.    Our overall health was still a bit low.  We were advised to eat a lot of fish and drink a lot of water.  We had a lot of fish but most of it was not making it to the complex.  We assigned a vendor to the market dome to rectify the situation.  We also built a fish pod in the complex to raise fish. 

Outside the complex by the hunter station we set up a cactus forester station.  The cactus provided our only fruit and also provided water when cut.  These cacti that were planted would be closer to the complex and would also green up the area nicely.   Whether it was the fish or the extra water, our health did improve to 100%.  Our diet was varied and also consisted of beans, boar meat, corn, herbs, potatoes, and wild roots.  The market dome now had a better selection.

In spring of year 5, 5 more workers left the Mother Ship.  There was a 24-year-old single male, a young single female, and a couple with a young adult son. Houses for them were built by the fish pod and Rejuvenator.

kid1293

:) It looks good so far.
The Red Desert is a bit bare, but it fits the story.

Abandoned

:) Thanks  :)  Yes, desert bare except for stone and iron.  Would have helped had I had the deco cacti we added to Some Deco Trees mod.  There was less to be cleared when building the complex, which takes up a bit of space.  Out of This World colors show up nicely against the red desert terrain.  :)

Yesterday's picture of the park shows a couple of people walking through the tunnels  :) 8)

Abandoned

Chapter 13

In late summer of year 5, two major events happened one after the other.  The first riverboat came to port from the Mother Ship.  There were only a few items, most of which we didn't need at the present time.  We were happy to see that the Mother Ship's kitchen crew made fresh bread from the storerooms supply of flour.  We took the 200 loaves and sent back surplus iron to be stored on the ship. 

We were given an up-to-date computer printout of what was in the supply rooms and what was needed.  We ordered such things as more bread, apples, fruit jam, linen clothes, and leather.  Our hide clothes were needed in storage, so were tools.  The riverboat would return when the skeleton crew located the items and got them loaded onto the riverboat.

The riverboat just left the port to return to the Mother Ship, when the last group of workers and their families emerged.  There were 15 adults with 3 young children.  The Crash Site's population rose to 62, 49 adults, 3 students, and 10 young children.  We had a lot of houses to building.

Abandoned

Chapter 14

One family and one young single wanted houses built outside the complex.  After so many years aboard the Mother Ship, they wanted to be among the trees.  Two dome houses were built at the edge of the forest by the angling pod.

The other families and young singles were happy to have houses built along the extended corridor from the market dome to the forester's entrance.  Three canopy houses and one dome house were built on the outer border of the complex.  Three large houses were built in the courtyard.  They had a small area where they could spend time outside if they wanted to.    The temperatures were almost pleasant now.  There were days when it was 90F or more, but more days now were in the mid 80s.  There were even a few days that the temperature dip down into the mid 70s.  It felt a bit cool.  We did not mind so much that the trader from the Mother Ship brought apples and fruit jam but did not bring the cooler linen clothes yet.

Kristahfer

At the beginning of this story, I was skeptical of the idea. I could not have been more wrong in my skepticism. A very nice job, excellent work to both of you.

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 15

A clothes fabricator was built in the inner courtyard next to the market dome.  When the leather we ordered arrived we would be able to increase production of hide coats to exchange for the linen ones.  The temperature inside the Mother Ship had also dropped since the power was reduced, warmer clothes would be welcome inside, and the supply stock would be replenished.

We would also be able to replenish the Mother Ship's supply of tools.  Many tools were brought out in the supply cart when the ship first landed.  A tool implementer was built by the main stockpile conveniently close to the trader port.

The tailor and smith would no longer have to work outside in the heat at their workplaces on the hottest days. 

Abandoned

Chapter 16

Many people were outside now on the cooler days, walking in the forests or by the river or just sitting in one of the courtyards.  On the warmer days they now had cooler clothes to wear.  The supply boat brought linen clothes, leather, and more fresh baked bread.

For those who preferred being inside the complex, two retreat centers were built, one by the newest part of the complex and one by the oldest.  Both were pleasantly cool inside and green with trees and shrubs.  One had a view of the forest and the other a view of the newly planted cactus forest that was doing quite well.  The cactus fruit to be gathered was now right outside the corridor's doorways.

Abandoned

Chapter 17

Both the old and the new forests were doing quite well too.  There were herbs to be gathered as well as some wild roots.  The shade provided by the trees helped keep the surrounding temperatures down.  We had sufficient wood for making wood alloy and glass.  What we would not need for building would be sent to the Mother Ship's storage rooms.

The complex was basically complete and only a house now and then for couples or young singles would need to be built.  The complex was beautiful and almost entirely surrounded by green growth.  Everyone at the Crash Site was 100% happy and healthy. 

What?

Abandoned

Chapter 18

What are you talking about, weary traveler?  Why am I here in my old village?  What?  You were migrating north because of the heat and found this abandoned village just as a falling star fell out of the sky and sent small rocks flying everywhere?  A few of the people that were with you were hit?  I was too?  You found me and decided to settle in the village?  It was a bit cooler here.  You and your spouse have been taking care of me?  I have been asleep almost continually for several weeks?  You planted corn?

What?  I woke occasionally and told you parts of a strange dream I was having?  No, no that was no dream, I was abducted by aliens and taken to their Mother Ship across the river.  Why are you smiling?  It's true.  The complex we built is right across the river.  I'll show you.

No, no, this can't be happening!  Everything is gone!  The complex, the trees, the Mother Ship is gone!  How can this be?  It was all right there!

What?  Yes, I'll be right there, I'll come back home to get more rest.  Thanks for taking care of me, weary traveler. 

"There's no place like home."

The End

kid1293

A dimensional pocket. Must be it... ;D

A great ending to the story! I was totally surprised! :) :) :)

Glenn

A dimensional pocket - perhaps, and alternate reality/timeline more likely - a glimpse of what could be. :)

Is that not what dreams are - a glimpse of you, for better or worse in another life, in another of the pocket universes.  :-X

Maybe - you may never know, only believe - indeed, is that not what faith is?  :-\

A lovely story - now rest and prepare for another adventure  ;D