News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Colonial-Charter-1620-BlackLiquid

Started by assobanana76, October 27, 2014, 06:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapster

Why build anything but wooden houses when the rest are so expensive in stone and firewood for heating is essentially a renewable resource? What's the point of privies and back alleys increasing happiness if chapels and taverns already do well enough? I installed the mod yesterday, looked through the main toolbar, there is of course no documentation or explanation of anything about the mod, and unless they did something to game balance somehow this is probably nothing more than a hollow mod with more content. The production chains introduced probably aren't all that either, and the extra clothing for instance would just keep your people out longer during the winter giving some meaningless boost to production. The extra foods will just be interchangeable, etc.

Quote from: bubbamcgee on October 29, 2014, 07:39:59 AMTo answer the question about mastering things... it is exactly as irrelevant posted earlier.  It is the lack of documentation to know all of the tech tree.  I get started one thing, such as trying to get silk for the tailor.  But, I didn't know if I had to start out with silkbugs or silk cocoons initially... then once I got that figured out, I didn't know that I had to hit an upgrade button on the tailor to actually produce silk based garments.  But, to get the tailor to upgrade meant having rope for the new building, which I did not have yet.  It has been challenging and fun at the same time figuring it out little by little.

The challenge will probably pass quickly.

Quote from: irrelevant on October 29, 2014, 05:49:00 AM
Quote from: snapster on October 28, 2014, 08:46:33 PM
Those neat grids are pleasing to the eye. Seems a number of you have them.
And that would tell you something, if you thought about it. The pretty grids exist for a reason. Form follows function.

The reason it makes sense to begin with is probably mods that provide more convenient buildings like general stores. With the surpluses you seem to be running form following function doesn't seem to ring right. It's more like let me make things pretty as I make true adversity mind-bogglingly out of reach. You need more houses to balance out those farms, and those houses might not have things to employ their occupants. Got them numerous farms though. It's just a strange experience in my eyes, or an aesthetic one. Let's not oversell it. Nothing too wrong with an aesthetic experience.

BL-Brockens

Hi folks, Brockenspectre here from Black Liquid. I'm happy to answer any of your questions about gameplay and the production chains, as well as listen to any feedback you have.

Some points I got from this thread:

Privy cost should be rebalanced, Back Alley should be explained better (it's not a finished design, we're adding things in expansion to make it make more sense), and we should have some more clear instructions about production trees.

But yeah, ask away - we have a ton of updates planned and we're absorbing other mod content from gracious and enthusiastic CC1620 players into the colonial theme as we speak. We'll have a bakery chain, dairy chain, tool chain etc....

P.S. As for those of you who don't like the mod as an overhaul and want pieces of it on their own, we probably won't be releasing any separate mods with pieces of CC1620. We are aiming for a game that plays differently, has more tier 2 production challenges, and is consistently themed - we see it as a conversion that you'd add other mods on top of.

Anyway, we're all active in the mod community and want to make sure to clear up any confusion you have and improve things for our next update pack in a few weeks. Let us know if you have questions!

snapster

Hello Brockens. :D *waves*

Did you target game balance in this mod or do you have plans to? What would you say is the point to your mod, i.e. why should it be played, to what end?

What's a tier two production challenge?

A consistent theme would also involve changing the date as 1620 refers to a colony that is quite different from the one portrayed by your little "lore" piece and by extension perhaps the mod, but I apparently digress. ;) Nothing like constructive criticism. In fact, removing a date altogether may be most appropriate as the mod could end up including or allow for salient aspects or features of both.

Here's another question. In your let's call it expert opinion do you think a mod could make the game more challenging, probably in terms of survival, and have its extra content both respond to and build onto the challenge?

Denis de la Rive

Quote from: BL-Brockens on October 29, 2014, 09:01:10 AM

But yeah, ask away - we have a ton of updates planned and we're absorbing other mod content from gracious and enthusiastic CC1620 players into the colonial theme as we speak. We'll have a bakery chain, dairy chain, tool chain etc....

Anyway, we're all active in the mod community and want to make sure to clear up any confusion you have and improve things for our next update pack in a few weeks. Let us know if you have questions!

I like this mod, the complex production chains, the more advanced buildings, gives something to work for beyond simple survival and population growth, if you know what you are doing you can get 100 000+ in food surplus in 20 or so years.

I was wondering if you plan to add decorative element to the mod, with the other mods we some but supply has dried up since the authors have moved on across the road. You could also look at creating different road textures that could be used as decorative tiles, the color choices of the one available are quite horrible.

Also we are trying to create a description of the content of this mod http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=152 and some technical information, like production ratio, and goods value, and trader characteristics would help us be more complete.

Since I have been using the previous elements of the mod since they came out, I am looking forward to the next version.

Thank you for all the hard work. :)

Bobbi

Hi @BL-Brockens, I do really like what I have seen of your mod so far. I am currently using several other mods, with Jamie's Trade mod listed above yours and it seems to be working fine. You say you will be incorporating mods into future releases. I am hoping this includes some of my top favorites, most of which are to be found on this forum.
QuoteBut yeah, ask away - we have a ton of updates planned and we're absorbing other mod content from gracious and enthusiastic CC1620 players into the colonial theme as we speak. We'll have a bakery chain, dairy chain, tool chain etc....
So does this mean that @RedKetchup's Windmill and Bakery mod, Creamery, Monastery, two floor houses (which you could elaborate on to make houses over shops), College and library, ware house, grain silo, root cellar, and decorative items will be incorporated? So far these mods are working for me in conjunction with 1620, and I got @slink's Brewery working which made me happy as I really like the way it looks. But with the authors permission, it seems like you could really use some of this stuff to incorporate into your production chains.

BL-Brockens

QuoteI was wondering if you plan to add decorative element to the mod, with the other mods we some but supply has dried up since the authors have moved on across the road

Yes, we plan on adding more decorative and colonially themed items.

QuoteAlso we are trying to create a description of the content of this mod http://banishedpeople.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=152 and some technical information, like production ratio, and goods value, and trader characteristics would help us be more complete.

PM me with exactly what info you need and I'll get it for you.

QuoteSo does this mean that @RedKetchup's Windmill and Bakery mod, Creamery, Monastery, two floor houses (which you could elaborate on to make houses over shops), College and library, ware house, grain silo, root cellar, and decorative items will be incorporated?

RK is awesome and wanted to support our mod, so our next release will include some of what you mentioned here (with significant changes/retexturing by our team to meet the mod's overall vision and be more compatible - also, we won't use everything.)

QuoteWhat's a tier two production challenge?

Tier 1 production challenge: You take a crop, or an animal product, or a gathered/hunted product and you produce a tier 1 product with it.
Tier 2 production challenge: You take a crop/animal product/other and process it at a building, maybe an upgraded building, which gives you an ingredient to make a tier 2 product in another building or upgraded building.

examples:
T1: Hunter gathers Leather, Tailor uses Leather to make Hide Coat
T2: Need seeds for flax, grow and harvest flax, flax goes to Weaver to make Linen, Linen goes to T2 Tailor upgrade (Clothier) to make Full Suit (with wool)

So T2 chains are more fulfilling and better in the mid-late game. We want to have T2 chains for tools and other processes eventually.

RedKetchup

yup this team has the entire permission to use/modify my mods in part or totality as their convienience :) of course i would be sad to see some of the late awesome looking buildings i created to turn to dull looking ^^ (like the very last creamery building i made, nobody would make something looking better in this game hehe. again today, i look at it for a good 45 mins and checked what i made ^^ )
but meh, it s part of the game, and part of different people vision of what they like or not ^^ i gave them a total copy of everything i had, with all permissions :)

cant wait to see how it will end up, hoping not being deceived hehe
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

ShockPuppet

Thank you for your support RK. :)

I must admit, I have retextured the Creamery. It still looks amazing though I promise :)

snapster

Quote from: snapster on October 29, 2014, 09:08:22 AM
Did you target game balance in this mod or do you have plans to? What would you say is the point to your mod, i.e. why should it be played, to what end?

In your let's call it expert opinion do you think a mod could make the game more challenging, probably in terms of survival, and have its extra content both respond to and build onto the challenge?

ShockPuppet

if anyone wants us to comment on a particular topic, questions directed at us should be void deliberate tone of questionable intent  :)

I realise not everyone communicates the same, and some need to work on their interaction with others substantially to improve their own personal development, yet the common courtesy remains.

Have a nice day all :)

salamander

slink

Okay, I removed the latter portion of the thread and unlocked it again.

Please, everyone try to remain civil and to not goad one another.

assobanana76

Two little question ..
I intend to use this mod in a new game ..

What will happen if you update this mod?
It will be automatically update by Steam?
And my saved game does not crash?

What will happen to the next "expansion"?
I can add to my game saved on signing the new mod "expansion"?
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!