News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Springfield - Story 23

Started by Abandoned, March 20, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 30

By spring of year 30 we were very low on firewood.  We built another village firewood yard and mini forester near the new stone townhouses.  The crops were being planted.  By late spring we had a new concern, we feared no one would want the job of herdsman in Springfield, we lost the 3rd one.  The profession seemed to have a way of aging people, Johann the herdsman, died of old age.

The crops were doing well this year and the hemp seemed to be thriving in our climate.  We began harvesting the wheat early , when it was 89% mature.  We had 6 farmers working that field but it appeared they would still not complete the harvest in time.  Thanks to the timely construction of another town storage building the crop was harvested and stored with very little lost to the first heavy frost.

When the food trader arrived we traded for eggs and potatoes.  It was when checking inventory that we noticed our leather shortage.  After learning of the discrepancy we checked our weavers and tailors.  There was no problem with the linen weaver as long as the laborers collected wild flax at regular intervals. The weaving guild had made a surplus of canvas then began making canvas coats out of hemp.  The town tailor was making hide coats from leather and the village tailor was making warm coats from wool and leather.  We then had no leather but a large surplus of wool.  Adjustments were needed.  The town tailor would make coats from wool to trade.  The weaving guild would make warm coats from hemp and wool until our leather supply was replenished, and the village tailor would switch to making canvas coats from canvas.  The new system should work well as long as our herdsmen stayed alive long enough to produce the wool.

The next death came all to soon but this time it was a fisherman, Anasta, who died of old age in early winter. It was at that time that we were completely out of stone and iron and were also short of logs.  The small townhouses and the tunnel mine we began nearby took a lot of resources.  We wondered why the mine was not finished yet, then discovered the workers need 2 steel tools to complete it.  It was not long before Gather, the hauler, arrived and he had steel tools.  We traded for more than we needed and also traded for some coal to make our own should the ones we traded for not make it into the hands of the builders.  Hopefully the laborers would finish collecting iron and stone before it was time for the farmers to return to their fields in spring.

kid1293

It is frustrating with so many setbacks but you make it a challenge to overcome
the problems. Nice to read about.
I wish I could that determined in real life. :)

Abandoned

Thanks, @kid1293 it is a challenge but the problems are reoccurring.  Every time I think I have a problem solved I find it isn't.  It wouldn't be bad if it were only 1 or 2 things to keep an eye on.   :) I am determined, I will keep trying.

Abandoned

Chapter 31

The tunnel mine was finished by the start of year 31 and 4 miners set to work extracting iron.  We would add more miner and more housing for them.  Several warm leather tents were set up near the mine.  As soon as the first mine was up and running, we began construction of a second mine.  The building materials collected for it left the stockpiles short of logs.  We we also low on firewood so it was crucial that we send the laborers out to cut some nearby trees immediately.

It was another cold rainy spring and the 35 nomads who arrived didn't stay.

The second mine was completed and the miners were extracting coal.  Hopefully, coal would take some of the pressure off the foresters and wood cutters.  We were still short of iron and the iron mine was a long way from the blacksmiths.  The blacksmith in town was educated and made good use of the iron when he could get it but the Celtic blacksmith was not educated.  We considered a materials wagon vendor, we had wagon parts, but feared he would take logs and firewood away from outlying areas that needed them.

In late summer 2 traders arrived and we did a quick inventory check when we saw them coming down the river.  We needed flax and we were almost out of canvas.  We again adjusted the textile workers, the guild would again make canvas and the village tailor would make warm coats until enough canvas was available.  We had enough food and grain in inventory and it was almost harvest time.  We ordered no food from the food merchant or seeds from the planter.  We started the wheat harvest early at 84 % and the chestnuts at 53%.  An early snowstorm still cost us some crops.

Building was at a stand still, we were short of building materials.  We did however build another village well to protect the buildings we did have.  The abandoned place provided all the scavenged materials it had and the last of it was removed.  The foundation for the Village Hall was laid.  Diligent laborers took logs, stone, and iron to the site before we could stop them.  We were again short of logs, stone, and iron.

Arnon the fisherman drowned, he must have slipped off an icy fishing pier.  It was another cold harsh winter in Springfield.

Abandoned

Chapter 32

The building of the Village Hall was off to a good start.  Early Spring was too, flowering trees and spring flowers seemed to bloom early that year but there was another snowstorm before the weather finally warmed and the Village Hall was complete. The building left us short of logs, stone, and iron.  Laborers cut a number of trees near each woodcutter to prevent a firewood crisis.  Laborers gathered the closest stone and iron they could find and 2 miners were added to the iron mine.  We were concerned that our tool supply had been dropping, the blacksmiths need both logs and iron.

In the summer of year 32 we decided to try a new system of retrieving resources.   We build a materials wagon by the main stockpile close to the blacksmith.  We then set up a stockpile far to the west near the mountain where there was still both iron an stone to be gathered.  The laborers would have a short distance to go with the materials to the stockpile and the 2 material wagon vendors could pick them up and take them to town.  It would have been a good system had it worked, by autumn there were still no materials brought to the vendor's wagon.

Luckily, both traders came to port.  We traded for Brussels Sprouts, wild oats, and berries.  We got all 200 logs Garther, the hauler, had plus firewood, stone, coal, iron and hardened tools, and some flax.

In winter the laborers were still gathering stone and iron by the west mountain but the 2 vendors were nowhere to be found.  They were too busy idling to make the trip to the west stockpile which had high priority.  Both Sienned and Damar gathered fuel from the other side of the river in late summer but neither one returned to the wagon by late winter.  Perhaps they took it home for their personal use, it was as always a cold harsh winter.

Nilla

Is it the right cart? Are you sure that iron, stones and logs are flagged "material"?

Discrepancy

the Materials Wagon Vendor should store Logs, and what is Flagged as Materials (Custom4-clay,lime,fertilizer), and construction (Custom5-wagon parts,bricks,roof-tiles,lumber).
many of which would not be available in this game as not in the mods.
The MIS Wagon Vendor will store Materials (CoalFuel-coal, iron ore), Iron and Stone.

The Wagon Vendor mod is one that does now need updating ASAP also... DSSV, and all the others...

but for next version I will include a larger collection of different supplied wagons.

Abandoned

Oh that explains it then, thank you.   When I first considered using the wagon vendor I saw one would store iron and stone, but apparently I picked the wrong one when I built it.  :(

Abandoned

Chapter 33

By spring of year 34 the 2 wagon vendors had still not returned to the cart with any materials.  The logs that were stored in the cart were brought from the trading post but not by the 2 delinquent vendors.  They were dismissed.  They claimed it was the wagon's fault not theirs.  We would check out that wagon when we get a chance.

Thanks to our timely trade deals we had building materials.  We were short on housing.  We had 102 families but only 85 houses.  The 29 Celtic nomads who arrived in summer did not want to stay if there was no housing available.

In late summer we began building stone cottages by the nut roaster and stone hovels across the river by the crop fields.  We traded for wheat and flour and began the wheat harvest at 71% and the chestnuts and apples at 70%.  We again lost some crops to an early frost.  We also did not gather wild foods as we usually did, instead we added a gatherer to each of our 3 forest gatherers and built 2 mini gatherers, 1 not far south of the greenhouse and the other 1 south of the mines.  Gathering flax and wild oats would have to wait, the laborers would need to head west to retrieve the resources from the stockpile there.  We would build a stockpile elsewhere next year if needed.

Abandoned

Chapter 34

In early spring of year 34 Hestel, the builder, fell off a ladder and died, it was surprising that he died from the fall, the roof of the Celtic storage shelter was not that high.  A short time later Fores, the miner, was killed by a cave in.

We found a location not far from the first one where there was still a lot of surface iron and stone.  We would build a stockpile there and begin collecting resources as soon as the farmers were all back in their fields. 

In summer  we traded for Brussels sprouts and potatoes and were again surprised that Pumpkin Hollow and small villages so much father north could have already harvested those crops.  The boatman said the Hollow was in a small valley well protected by high mountains.  We later traded for flax.

We built a new forester's lodge north of our crop fields across the river.  We built a new woodcutter workstation nearby plus began a constructing a mini hunter and herbalist.  We soon realized our mistake.  We had a herbalist not far from the mill, what we needed here was a mini gatherer.  The buildings were all finished by late autumn.  The laborers then went to work gathering resources in the south east forest area.

Year 34 ended well.  We had healthy surpluses in all of our inventory items.  Our population was 304, 190 adults, 48 students, and 66 young children.  Our education rate was 72% and we had 95 homes for our 100 families.  We were all relatively happy and healthy.  By late winter we had chosen a location for a Village Church.

Abandoned

Chapter 35

At the start of year 35, the Village Church was completed and was filled to capacity the moment the doors opened.  It was a beautiful church with  huge clock and bell tower.  As soon as the church was finished, work began on a Village Hospital.  There was a doctor's office on the other side of the river and a mini hospital near the center of town but both were a long way from the Celtic village and the jetty workers.  The new hospital would be built at the crossroads between the two.

In spring 30 nomads arrived but did not stay, they were headed south to warmer climates.  Our laborers were headed south too but only as far as the new stockpile to gather resources.

The harvests were again started early this year.  Construction of the new hospital was well underway. Even if completed it could not have prevented the loss of 2 more of our citizens.  Raymond the fisherman drowned and Corden the laborer died of old age.  It was autumn when we realized we had a serious new problem.  We were short of tools and thinking back over the past year we realized we had missed the signs of the impending crisis.  Despite that, the new hospital was quite impressive.  We hoped we would not have to use it.

By late winter there were workers who had no tools.  We realized that it appeared that we had enough log and iron for tool making but the problem stemmed from the fact that most of the needed resources were far out on a stockpile in the forest.  The closest iron was near the mine so we immediately began building a mini workshop and prayed we were not too late to avert the crisis.

Abandoned

Chapter 36

Our tool shortage continued to grow in the spring of year 36.  We waiting impatiently for traders to arrive, they came often.  We were disappointed when it was Jolee, the planter, who came first.  We emptied the forest stock pile and hoped that the new workshop and close-at-hand resources would solve our problem.  There was still plenty of surface stone and iron in that area so 2 new stock piles were started.

By summer the tool shortage was much worse.  We wondered what impact the lack of tools would have on our harvest.  We began harvesting early and began collecting wild foods and flax close to every storage facility.  Our wheat harvest was good and so was our overall food surplus, and our tool supply increased somewhat by autumn. Garther, the hauler, finally arrived and we traded for all 200 steel tools he had with him.

By late autumn, almost everyone again had a tool.  Our main stockpile was nearly full and we took time to examine the materials wagon.  It appeared this wagon would not hold iron and stone, the vendors were right, it was not their fault.  Over winter we would send the laborers out to fill the 2 new stock piles in the southeast forest while we build a new wagon.

Abandoned

Chapter 37

By early spring the new wagon was constructed and before long the vendor was filling it with stone and iron.  We lost 2 of our miners, one right after the other.  Trevent and Bree were both killed by a cave in.

Year 37 we concentrated on adding additional housing and maintaining our supplies.  We collected flax and wild foods and made sure our crop fields were harvested early.  It was an uneventful year with no new problems to overcome.  The people of Springfield worked hard and have endured many hardships, we thought it high time they had a Village Mead Brewer.

We chose a location near the trading post in case we would need to trade for ingredients.  The small brewer was completed by spring of year 38.  It was then we discovered we were out of herbs.  We also had no flax.   We had plenty of laborers to send out to collect herbs, flax, wild foods and resources so we did not mind that the 36 nomads that stopped at the Village Hall decided not to stay.  They were looking for a better life not a more difficult one of hauling stone and iron from the new area where we built stock yards.  The wagon vendor made several trips to the new stock yards but not to one of the earlier ones even though it had higher priority.  The laborers would have to clear that one too.  Milland the laborer died of a weak heart.

We checked our production numbers and found we were using more than we produced of many commodities, especially food.  We traded for potatoes, apples, and eggs and collect more wild foods.  To insure a more stable food supply we began constructing another Village fishing dock and hunting cabin south of the covered bridge.  The hunting cabin had just been completed when Alentine was trampled by a wild boar and the fishing dock just begun when Melishaad the fisherman died of old age.  Was this a strange coincidence or a sign or omen that we were doomed to fail?

Gatherer

That's a big food deficiency per year. You should use what the lake has to offer more imo.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

@Gatherer I will take your advice, T think further development on that big lake might help.  The cold harsh climate is not good for farming, it is too easy to miss starting the harvest early.  The supply of trade goods disappears fast.  I managed to play several years ahead while the site was down so it will be a few chapters before returning to jetty building.  Thanks for advice.  :)