News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Red's new Work In Progress (2) thread

Started by RedKetchup, July 02, 2018, 04:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

isn't peat like sod? whcih fodder takes the place of in game.

Jurius

Quote from: brads3 on February 17, 2019, 08:32:08 AM
isn't peat like sod? whcih fodder takes the place of in game.

No, the peat, when is used as fertilizer usually is mixed up with compost and is used as addition to soil. It gives nitrogen to plants, but it's unable to give it being clean, and that's why the compost is added. The typical recipe is to make a layer of wooden chips, then layers of soil and peat are added, then add some grass, then layers of soil and peat again and a cow manure (sorry) after that. All that is laid into the pile 1.5-2 m in height. And in a year enriched compost is ready.

After reading again written above I thought, that's quite a complex production chain.  :)

Also peat is used in greenhouses,being added to soil, it absorbs all the extra moist, giving it to plants only when needed. In this case it needs to be renewed every year.

In addition peat is a material for making peat pots (in attachment), where the soil is put. Usually used for room plants.

For all the purposes described above only middle and lower layers of peat are used. The upper layer can be used only as mulch.

If my explanation is hard to be understood, I apologize. Haven't practiced in English for ages.

Nilla

I've noticed this before but forgot to ask:

I just started a new game. At the beginning of a game, I would like to pick wild cotton and flax manually for the first clothing. It looks like I can use the flower tool for flax but picking cotton is only possible if you find a plant and then use the clear all tool. Is it meant to be that way?

There's also a small "mistake" in the menu: it says 10 flax/cotton is used, but actually, it's 12 to make 4 cloth/linen.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Jurius on February 17, 2019, 09:39:23 AM

After reading again written above I thought, that's quite a complex production chain.  :)

yeah and i am not sold on this.....
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on February 17, 2019, 10:33:06 AM

There's also a small "mistake" in the menu: it says 10 flax/cotton is used, but actually, it's 12 to make 4 cloth/linen.

then i need to re-re-verify.

RedKetchup

Quote from: 1 on February 17, 2019, 12:43:54 PM
RedKetchup your new work, looking good. :)

i am working on the dock watermine... here a first preview...

Jurius

Quote from: 1 on February 17, 2019, 12:43:54 PM

When it comes to fuel part it have to dig more deep than the surface. For fuel peat was used lots of in middle-age Europe.
Its still used for electrical energy and heating in Finland. There are big reserves for peat, but many are against it, because of environment issues.

Here article in english for old peat industry fuel part.
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/09/peat-and-coal-fossil-fuels-in-pre-industrial-times.html

Well, thanks, the article was very interesting. All that I read was about modern peat production, and much less information about how it was in Middle Ages.
Well, it's quite obvious that technologies in Banished are a little bit more progressive, I mean those mines e.t.c., so it seams that peat production won't be as profitable as coal one, if being recreated in game.

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 17, 2019, 01:46:52 PM

That's interesting. Is it for digging iron ore?

RedKetchup

Quote from: Jurius on February 17, 2019, 08:33:05 PM

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 17, 2019, 01:46:52 PM

That's interesting. Is it for digging iron ore?

not sure how i will distribute the output. i think i ll go for a random setup and will have it make a RNG table of 20 diff output:

8 RNG of Iron ore, 40%
5 RNG Copper ore, 25%
4 RNG of Stone, 20%
1 RNG of Gems, 5%
1 RNG of Silver, 5%
1 RNG of Gold, 5%

no coal, no salt.

Artfactial

Awesome idea, bog-iron is a valuable recourse.
Maybe some small chance of logs?
Thinking of bogs: a peatbog farm would be a pretty neat thing too, gathering peat as a fuel!

RedKetchup

the Dock Drifters will take care of logs.

RedKetchup

NMT WaterMine Dock: a workplace which job is to take breath and dive and go mine at bottom of the sea floor.
Size: 10x10.
Cost: 92 logs, 12 iron.
Can Create randomly : 2-3 ores or stones per job done.
Employs 1-8 miners.
Tips: Part of their RPG job is diving to the bottom of the sea floor and mine. Get precious iron ore, copper ore, stone, silver and gold ores, and possibility of gems randomly.

Nilla

I have a question about the dock bridge: I understand, that the boat can pass beneath it but here they don´t.

I have connected settlements on both side of the lake where the river runs through. Now the merchants refuse to pass beneath. There are still small streams and narrow passage so the ports still work but I want to know how these bridges work.

I know you for years now, Red and I´m sure that you´ve tested the bridges and that it can work. What have I done wrong here? I´ve marked the way the boats take to/from the red and blue ports on the larger map.

RedKetchup

yeah they are buggy :( 80% of the time they dont work and i dont know why unless i would put them 2 tiles wide and ask to zigzag on it.

Nilla

OK, I´ve made some more experiments. They don´t even like a simple bridge like this one. But your bridges aren´t the only one with these issues. I know @Discrepancy have struggled with this as well.

Another thing; I had a fire out at the jetty. Such a large jetty settlement really need a fire well. The Bannis live on the water but need to go to the shore to get water to put out the fire. I don´t know how much of the jetty that would have burned down. The game crashed just after I made this screenshot. I had the same issue with one of @Tom Sawyer´s mods. I don´t know what was wrong but something with the model of the burned down building. Maybe it´s something similar here.

RedKetchup

fire should be fixed in 1.3
hard to tell