News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #2: Vegetarian Village

Started by solarscreen, June 27, 2014, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

I would personally never bother with such a useless mod. If I am reading it correctly, he essentially just renamed a bunch of crops. If they do not look like bananas or whatever, I am not sure what the point is. Need diversification in the appearance of the world, not new names for same thing.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

solarscreen

Failboat Mods - when you want more but don't really care
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

I think the author of the crop mod was well-intentioned.  The main problem is the inclusion of all 20 new crops in one mod.  Maybe all of the crops that were mentioned by one person or another were included, and not everyone wants all of those new crops.  Probably the modder did not realize that there was a problem with the General Goods Merchant's boat, as I did not until it was mentioned in this forum.  While it is true that lacking new models and graphics makes new crops not as attractive, if a player really wants to grow strawberries and can't mod at all, a mod that doesn't change appearances is better than no mod.

assobanana76

if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

I may be beating a dead horse, but I would really like to see a pack of 4 or so CLIMATE-APPROPRIATE field crops. Bananas (to choose one example) do not grow where it snows (except maybe in @RedKetchup's planned greenhouse) and I don't want them until there is a "tropics" mod. Even figs, as in the examples, is a stretch. There are Portuguese and Italian immigrants in our area (where the climate is much like Banished) who grow figs, but it is a lot of work and involves burying the tree or bringing it into the house during Winter to keep it from freezing. I actually grew figs when I lived in So. Cal. and even there you had to be careful about frost.

So: A nice, not overly large, pack of climate appropriate field crops and a separate pack of tree crops would be great--with appropriate graphics.

This is just my opinion, of course. Modders will do what modders will do.

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 18, 2014, 07:20:33 AM
I may be beating a dead horse, but I would really like to see a pack of 4 or so CLIMATE-APPROPRIATE field crops. Bananas (to choose one example) do not grow where it snows (except maybe in @RedKetchup's planned greenhouse) and I don't want them until there is a "tropics" mod. Even figs, as in the examples, is a stretch. There are Portuguese and Italian immigrants in our area (where the climate is much like Banished) who grow figs, but it is a lot of work and involves burying the tree or bringing it into the house during Winter to keep it from freezing. I actually grew figs when I lived in So. Cal. and even there you had to be careful about frost.

So: A nice, not overly large, pack of climate appropriate field crops and a separate pack of tree crops would be great--with appropriate graphics.

This is just my opinion, of course. Modders will do what modders will do.

You open a door open!
I filled all the existing forums of Banished with my thread "winter crops" !!
crops: carrots, fennel, spinach, broccoli, artichokes, cauliflower, leek, cabbage some winter ..
orchards: oranges, tangerines, grapes, pears, persimmons ..
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 18, 2014, 08:03:44 AM
You open a door open!
I filled all the existing forums of Banished with my thread "winter crops" !!
crops: carrots, fennel, spinach, broccoli, artichokes, cauliflower, leek, cabbage some winter ..
orchards: oranges, tangerines, grapes, pears, persimmons ..

In the Banished climate where it drops below freezing (0 C/32 F) and snows in the Winter, what someone in a warmer climate might thing of as "Winter crops" don't really exist. You can over-Winter garlic and many biennial root crops like carrots in the ground--if you've planted them in Summer--but the others grow in Spring or Fall. "Winter crops" mean crops that you can store like pumpkins and rutabagas (called "turnips" here in Ontario). For the first time this year we got artichokes to grow in our backyard. Total harvest so far: 2. Citrus is definitely out. Even in sunny California you have to take measures to ensure they don't freeze. In my youth they were still using "smudge pots," which burned fuel oil, in the orchards. Now it's propellers to move the air. Being a gardener who moved to Ontario from California I had to radically change my view of what grew when. In California my Winter garden was full of lettuce, carrots and the cabbage family. Here the Winter garden is often .5 - 1 meter deep in snow. On the other hand I can grow fruit and berries here that didn't get enough chill time in CA. I'd love to see raspberries in Banished.

RedKetchup

oh ya and where there is a freeze in Florida, they lose all the oranges. and it is their biggest flea.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

assobanana76

ok.. I have the solution..
bind various types of crops to various climates in the game!
Mild, Fair, and Harsh..
each with its eight crops and eight orchards suited to the climate ..

rkelly17

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 22, 2014, 01:58:10 AM
Mild, Fair, and Harsh..

Excellent ideas! Now somebody just has to figure out how to do it.

assobanana76

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 22, 2014, 08:33:53 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on September 22, 2014, 01:58:10 AM
Mild, Fair, and Harsh..

Excellent ideas! Now somebody just has to figure out how to do it.
;D do you believe is not a simple thing?  ;D

assobanana76

Mmdrgtobldrgn

Hi, semi newbie here. I say semi, because I've been lurking and reading for a while, finally decided to register. :)

While the scored aspect of this challenge is over, as a player I have questions regarding this challenge and am hoping someone can provide input.

I've got a village I've been working with using the limited (to me*) guidelines of this challenge, currently at 153 adults, 46 students, and 53 children I don't recall what year it's in though.

I've read through but didn't see any mentions of mods. Are they allowed or not? The ones I'm thinking of, which I haven't downloaded/installed yet are; bee keeping, flax crops, and one or two other crop type mods that look compatible to the challenge and providing additional food/clothing resources for the village.

*as a long time simmer I'm used to challenges with 2 or more pages of rules ;)
~ Mama Dragon
Mother, Grandmother, Gamer, always Myself