News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Springfield - Story 23

Started by Abandoned, March 20, 2018, 02:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 46

At the start of year 47 we were 100% happy and healthy and had an education rate of 82%.  We had 70 students and 63 young children.  We decided to build another school down by the stone bridge where most of the recent construction had been.  To the west and farther south there was plenty of wood, iron, and stone.  There was a prime fishing spot just waiting for a fishing dock to be built.  The water was shallower there and would warm sooner in the sun.  All that was needed was a simple log bridge.  A longer one across the main river would connected the area to the main part of town. The shallower water would make bridge building easier.  Several small village homes were being constructed on this side of the bridge.

The area on the other side of the river continued to grow.  A mini storage shed and hunting cabin as well as several Celtic houses were built.  Our trade deals and harvests were good that year, we raised our food storage limits, our surplus was the highest it had ever been.  Springfield was thriving.

kid1293

Abandoned

:)

Chapter 47

Even after another harsh cold winter, Springfield's food surplus was high that early spring of year 48.  We took time to consider last years wheat harvest.  We failed to start it early and the harvest total was only 1738.  It should have been at least 2000.  The 6 farmers working the 22X15 foot field claimed it was more difficult to work and harvest than the smaller fields, even with extra workers.  So, we thought we would experiment.  We divided the field in half making two 11x15 foot fields and assigned 3 of the 6 farmers to each field. All of the farmers were educated.  When it was time to plant the farmers began to immediately plant the east field but the farmers were late getting to and planting the west field.  In late summer harvesting began on the east field but the west field was not yet ready to harvest.   The east field was almost harvested when the harvesting of the west field finally began.  The east field had a good harvest total of 1176, we expected a crop loss in the west field even though the farmers continued to work in the snow.  The harvest total for the west field was 952.  The total wheat harvest from the 2 fields was 2,128 roughly the same as the large field when the harvest was started early.

As usual the laborers collected mushrooms, onions, roots, and berries and our food surplus at the end of year 48 was 32,796 units of food.

Nilla

When I play on "harsh" I use smaller fields than that; maybe 80 tiles for one worker or if I have a lot of workers, 2 farmers on about 100 tiles.

I like this little settlement. :)

Abandoned

:) Thanks @Nilla I have 2 workers on all the smaller fields, the corn field probably could use 3 farmers. I have not been starting harvests early  It is funny of these 2 wheat fields the one always lags behind right from planting time, I think it must be the distance the farmers live from the field.  Storage distance is about equal.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 48

As soon as the snow stopped in early spring of year 49, the farmers started planting.  We again turned our attention to our housing shortage.  We had 145 but 185 families.  Young couples were eager to have homes of their own.  Several houses were under construction around town and on the jetty.  It was our lack of housing that caused 51 nomads who arrived at the mini town hall and 43 at the village hall to decide to be on their way.  It was our lack of iron that was delaying some of the housing construction.

It was time we checked our mines.  The iron mine still had 62% of the iron remaining, the coal mine 65%. We were using more iron and tools than we were producing.  Iron was still slow to reach most of our blacksmiths even though the 2 wagon vendors were taking iron to the center of town.  Surface iron was even farther away then the mines. 

We also discovered we were using more clothes than we were producing probably because we were out of wool.  It was time to again make canvas from hemp and have our main tailor shop produce canvas coats.  If our wool inventory did not increase we would have to trade for some.

Our harvests were good again this year.  The west wheat field again lagged behind the east one but our overall food surplus was the highest it had ever been.  After most of the crops were harvested the laborers were sent out to gather stone and iron.  We thought it time to build another iron mine.  Our main blacksmith in town would have to make some steel tools for its completion.  By late winter our firewood and coal supplies were low.  The location for another coal mine was selected.

Abandoned

Chapter 49

By early summer of year 50 our firewood and coal surpluses had picked up.  We began building yet another mine, a 2nd one to produce coal.  Our main blacksmith would continue making steel tools until the building materials were delivered to the mine.

A new problem arose, a crop field was infested.  It was cool and rainy and looked as if the infestation would spread from the corn field to the cabbage but it did not.  It did spread through the corn field and it was decided to try to harvest as much as we could that was not infested.  We hoped no one would become ill eating the harvested corn.  Less than one third made it into storage. 

When the new mine was completed and 8 miners went to work, it was decided they would mine iron instead of coal until the next heating season started.  When the harvests were completed the laborers went out to gather more stone and iron.  Both wheat fields did very well that year.

Gatherer

Once started, infestation only spreads to fields that have the same crop as the first infested.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

oh thanks, @Gatherer , that is good to know.  I have only played a few maps with disasters on.  I was not quite sure what to do, but it was okay and got a partial harvest.  :)

Nilla

If you don't know, how to handle infestations, I can give you some advice/tricks; it's often better to demolish an infested, field than to harvest. (especially if there are other fields with the same crop close.) You can let the crop, that's left on the ground grow until autumn and "harvest" by using the clear resources tool (maybe you'll also need the priority tool to get it all in the barns). If an orchard gets infested, all trees have to be cut down, it's better to demolish the orchard, than only to cut the trees. This way the decease will not spread. If a pasture get infested, there's a trick. (A bit cheaty, I know) Just "fake demolish" (demolish/reclaim) the pasture and the infestation is gone and the sheep will return to the pasture healthy as ever. If you don't want this cheat, it's good to have an empty pasture somewhere. If you move the animals, the decease is gone.

Abandoned

Thanks @Nilla for the information, I have made a note of it for future reference.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 50

Yes, weary traveler, it has been 50 years since we settled here in Springfield.  The town has sure grown from that first small settlement with its mini town hall, greenhouse, village school and chapel.  The Celtic settlement expanded it to the north and the jetty fisherman and mollusc farmers expanded it to the east.  Beautiful colorful houses were built across the river to the west where crop fields, orchards, and mines are located.  Across the stone bridge to the south our people and the Celts live closely together, we are all dear friends and family now. 

Springfield has 196 families, 501 citizens, 346 adults, 54 students, and 101 young children.  Our education rate is 86%.  Larryl and I are alone now, our children are grown and have families of their own.  We were so young when we arrived here all those years ago.  We are still in our old wooden house after 50 years and still gather herbs and tend the seedling in the old greenhouse.

Yes, weary traveler, it is time you were on your way to make a new start somewhere else.  Now is a good time,  after all, it is once again Spring in Springfield.

The End

brads3

that 1 was a struggle. a change in climate does have a big change to the food outputs.

Nilla

It's sad to say goodbye to this nice village. :'(

How do you decide how long you want to play a map, or maybe the question ought to be; what makes you stop and go on to another map?

kid1293

A happy ending for the bannies! :)

Living through this ordeal surely made them stronger.
It could be interesting to check in, say 200 years. What would pass?

Thanks @Abandoned for this story. :)