News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trading Post Economies

Started by solarscreen, June 21, 2014, 09:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irrelevant

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 17, 2014, 02:03:33 PM
One big issue for me is that the auto trade deals in general categories, not specific items. Stone is stone, obviously, but you can't buy only wool or only leather, you have to buy "textiles." You can't buy only nuts (cheapest protein), you have to buy "proteins." Etc. You also can't tell your traders, "No, you foolish people, don't trade firewood to food merchants; they only give you 3 credits." If it's in inventory they'll sell it to whomever. I'm not sure how they decide what to sell first. That's one reason I only stock ale to sell after I have all the seeds I want (seed merchants are apparently teetotalers).
Yes, the inability to be specific was very annoying, both on they buying side and on the selling side. You can narrow down the "textiles" category though, by placing orders for wool and not for leather, 90% of the time you will not get leather; occasionally you get a new trader who will bring stuff whether you have ordered it or not.

What really is needed is a button to say, "NO MORE SEED TRADERS PLEASE! NO MORE LIVESTOCK TRADERS PLEASE!" Or at least something for you to toggle to auto-dismiss them when they do show up. Actually, that would be just fine.

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 17, 2014, 02:03:33 PMSo, after you get a certain number of TPs, trying to trade manually will make you crazy, so auto-trading is the option. It's not so bad.
I agree, not so bad. Better than all those decisions, every time, gaaaah!

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 17, 2014, 02:03:33 PMExcept when I forget to change the thing at the top of the window that tells the traders when to trade from "Never" to "When the merchant arrives." Then it doesn't work so well.
Yes, that's frustrating; any particular reason why "Never" is the default, and not "when the merchant arrives?" Other than simple sadism on the designers part? And what is the use of "When the merchant leaves??" Anyone?

edit: I guess if you totally ignore the TPs, you could theoretically set up one set of orders for when the merchant arrives, and another for when he leaves, the assumption being that you would not have bought everything in the boat that you might want, and that you would have restocked trade items in the time he was there. So the big question there is, can you have multiple auto-buy instructions for a single TP? One set, "never buy this stuff," another set "buy this when he arrives," and a third "buy this when he leaves, cause I'm assuming he'll still have stuff left that I want, and further that I will have rebuilt my stock of trade by then." This could allow you to completely ignore those bongbongs. Theoretically.

Further edit, if you could to this, you could set it up to buy resources when he arrives, when presumably firewood would be taken in trade, and to buy foodstuffs when he leaves, when other goods would be traded.

I suppose I could have tested this in the time it took to write about it. But I'm about done for tonight.

RedKetchup

but... we will have fun with these... 45-60 trading posts ^^ 45-60 merchants to dismiss every year ^^ for 80 years long
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

irrelevant

You might build that many, but would you be able to fill them up? That's a lot of storage space.

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 17, 2014, 09:06:52 PM
but... we will have fun with these... 45-60 trading posts ^^ 45-60 merchants to dismiss every year ^^ for 80 years long

If you leave the TP window closed they leave on their own after a season. I only manually dismiss if I'm really desperate for more materials. If my farmers don't produce enough in the previous year I just go down the river looking for TPs with merchants. With enough TPs inevitably one of them is a food or general merchant and I can buy enough food to make up the shortfall. Now I just need to remember to turn off that (expletive deleted  >:() bonger!

Quote from: irrelevant on July 18, 2014, 02:48:34 AM
You might build that many, but would you be able to fill them up? That's a lot of storage space.

When I auto trade I only sell ale. I set each TP to stock 1000 ale, which buys 8000 units. When I notice that my ale stock is getting above 100-200 I build another TP. Doing that does mean that lots of orchards and taverns eventually get built, but farmers are fun, eh?

Bobbi

If I figured this out correctly, I started setting my traders to buy when merchant leaves because then I can opt to pay with something other than firewood, but this is buying manually, not auto buy. I have never done auto buy because of the food merchant only paying three for that. If I try the new trading challenge, I will have to think of a way around that. Or go insane. Bong. Bong. Bong. Maybe set only a few to buy food and stock those TPs only with ale?

RedKetchup

when i usually trade, inevitably i always end up to make 18k-23k trade units each time a boat show up :P

Zephormite

So if I leave a TP window open and pinned the Trader stays?
This might be a big help when I don't have quite enough to buy all the Stone, Iron etc that they have. Or in the current case the 30k of Peaches for my lovely Peach Schnapps.

RedKetchup

yes @Zephormite , if you pinned the window the merchant will stay there till you close it.

Zephormite

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 19, 2014, 08:43:59 PM
yes @Zephormite , if you pinned the window the merchant will stay there till you close it.
Excellent, this will become really useful in the early stages of building my trading empire (Currently running 8 Trading Ports, and I have another 5 placed (Can use at least half of the lake that I started by)

I will post a few pictures of the boats coming into some of my ports as it is quite entertaining.

RedKetchup

this trading economy and challenge is just ....... SICK! lol
i am crazy lol

Zephormite

It is completely nuts, I do have to keep remembering to check on the rest of the economy to ensure that it isn't being affected by me concentrating on my Ale & Trade.

Only issue with my map is a serious lack of Stone close to the starting point.

RedKetchup

kinda same i had with .... Roaring Fork ?

irrelevant

I'm having the same issue on my new town as well. I'm planning stone houses but building wooden where I have to (when I need a house I'd rather have wooden than none at all), try to get way out ahead on firewood, and hope for the resource merchant. 

Zephormite

Managed to get on top of it with Mass trading, to the pont I now have achieved the "Ready for Anything" achievement for the first time.

Constantly trading for more Stone/Iron/Logs, and Peaches. Lots of Peaches for me...15 current Trading posts, another 15 with planned spots already, and I have almost managed to extend to the second lake.

RedKetchup