News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nillas isolated town Loomfield

Started by Nilla, August 22, 2014, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Quote from: Nilla on September 21, 2014, 02:49:56 AM
As you commented this old blog @Pangaea I got a bit inspired to make another try on this non-trading-project. Though i have decided to start from scratch and look for a new map. No idea if it is better, but I am not so fond of building on the same map more than once.

I will still try this coal-heating project and plan it better from the start, also a lot of toolmakers.

I have just started the game and will tell you a little more, when i have built more.

Sounds interesting, I look forward to reading more about it :)

Won't it be difficult to heat with coal though? You need so much of it. Forests steal space, though, so I see why you want to try the mines, as they have a smaller footprint in mostly unusable space.

Good luck with it :thup: (I really miss the thumbs up and thumbs down smilies :D)

Nilla

yes, it is interesting with coal as heating, but it is also really hard, because the mines need a lot of people and as i noticed the first time, the miners need a lot of tools. I am far from sure if it will work.

Today was a really rainy and cool Sunday. What is than better than a nice calm Banished game?

Have already made 25 years. :) Nothing special happened; a small tornado came but in an area I havn´t started to build anything yet, but a tornado sure makes everything flat.

This time my people have to feed mainly on corn and pumpkins!!!! Seems very american, both no real domestic grain here in Scandinavia. But so long they havn´t complained all too much ;) As long as they become fish and berries and mushrooms(!) and ..... and... and.... ;)

Pangaea

25 years already? Wow, you're a quick one, and a quick grower too I see. Almost 300 pop already.

Hopefully the tools and coal situation will go better this time. What will you do different?

Nilla

Until now I do not much different, except plan for more toolmakers between the planned coalmines and markets.

In that other game I had one toolmaker on each market. As coal was used for heating, they didn´t make much steel tools and as I changed to iron tools the miners needed new tools so fast.

Now I plan for two toolmakers somewhere between each market and and the coalmines, close to the stockpile used by the mines. Than I hope the blacksmiths will get some coal before the vendors, and if there is no coal at the stockpile, they may get it at the market, where they also can get iron. We´ll see later if it works.

I went on a bit tonight, just reach 500, everything goes smooth.

I looked a bit more on the students. Now I am pretty sure, they don´t change schools. If they have started to go to one school, they stay at that one, even if you build one closer. I studied s student who was 12, as I built a new school, almost next doors to where she lived, but she went on to go to the old one, all the time. it wasn´t very far away but the new school was closer.

Look at the picture; I am surprised; 3 marketplaces on one pictures and several barns. Must have bin inspired by irrelevant. ;) But in fact I don´t really like it. The barns are sometimes empty, too many! But next year I will start some of the fields that are built and than I hope it will be better.

irrelevant

LOL, I like your markets. ;)

I'm surprised those barns are empty, with all those farms and orchards.

That reminds me, have you ever studied the orchards at harvest? I have a recollection of vendors coming out of the orchards with barrows full of fruit, taking them straight to the market. Have you ever noticed this?

Pangaea

I'm surprised they are mostly empty too. There aren't that many of them and you have lots of farms. But the key must be to not wade in food. It's probably more efficient to produce roughly what you eat. But the issue, or worry, I have with that is that as you rely more and more on farming, the food supply goes up and down like a yo-yo, and it can be nervy to see those food stores quickly fall towards nothingness.

Speaking about orchards, we set up a small plot behind the house. A juicy peach should be healthy. Or a few, as it may turn out!

(Yes, that is one patch, 30x40 big. With everybody we could spare chipping in, 13 farmers were able to empty the trees, I think.)

Nilla

Quote from: Pangaea on September 22, 2014, 12:55:50 AM
I'm surprised they are mostly empty too. There aren't that many of them and you have lots of farms. But the key must be to not wade in food. It's probably more efficient to produce roughly what you eat. But the issue, or worry, I have with that is that as you rely more and more on farming, the food supply goes up and down like a yo-yo, and it can be nervy to see those food stores quickly fall towards nothingness.

Speaking about orchards, we set up a small plot behind the house. A juicy peach should be healthy. Or a few, as it may turn out!

(Yes, that is one patch, 30x40 big. With everybody we could spare chipping in, 13 farmers were able to empty the trees, I think.)

First you must not forget that the people also store a lot of food in their houses, so temporarily the supplies can go down without crisis, but I know, I sometimes take some risks; two really bad harvests in a row might cause problems.

And yes......that "nice little orchard" looks great, but I doubt it is very efficient. ;) go on tell how much you harvest there.

By the way @irrelevant I havn´t noticed that the vendors get the fruit directly from the orchard, I have noticed that there are many boxes of fruit everywhere in autumn, more than pots on the fields. That might be the explanation; the farmers don´t bring them to the barns, they stay somewhere until the vendors come. I will keep an eye on it.

Pangaea

Quote from: Nilla on September 22, 2014, 03:01:14 AM

First you must not forget that the people also store a lot of food in their houses, so temporarily the supplies can go down without crisis, but I know, I sometimes take some risks; two really bad harvests in a row might cause problems.

And yes......that "nice little orchard" looks great, but I doubt it is very efficient. ;) go on tell how much you harvest there.

That they do, and in a big town it is a lot combined. I wouldn't rely on that though, and without "grain stores", one bad harvest could be enough for a spiral of death. I'm probably a bit paranoid about the food situation though, and like to keep increasing it as the city grows, and take a decrease as a sign I need to build more farms  :-X

I glued on the latest numbers to the orchard screenshot. It's just a village I started in quick fashion to check out the creamery, but the field actually worked out allright that last summer when I managed to put 13 people on it. 5200 isn't to be sneezed at, but it would probably be more with more farmers tending it. 30x40 is the equivalent of 20 15x4 fields, which in theory can collect 10,400 fruits or nuts. So in that sense 5200 is only 50%, so poor. Just confirms what we know really, that big fields aren't very efficient. Stick 20-25 farmers in there though, and they may have been able to get out everything.

Btw: I just discovered the 100x button in the ModKit version of the game. Holy smokes! The game lags something vicious when moving around the map or trying to do something, but it sure does go fast :D

Nilla

First i want to show you my empty barns:Picture from yesterday evening. Harvest done/almost done, barns in the northern farming area between 0% and 87% full.

Today I went on playing. First everything went well, the northwest side of the river is full and i have moved across the river. I will now make a brake- I have a little over 1300 Bannies, do not build so many houses anymore so the speed of growth is reduced. Luckily it is reduced, as you may understand, if you read more!

In the year 44 one bad harvest, early frost. As we all know, it happens now and then, no big deal. Luckily the next year was good, so I could regain the 10 000 food, that was consumed more than the production the year before. Next year bad again, cold spring. Oh, o,h oh, now it´s getting tough! Stored food getting down under 10 000 in summer.......What happens next year?Aat least a warm spring, but than! Frost in autumn ! Again 10 000 less produced than consumed. Stores almost empty before the harvest begins this year. All new prepared fields are working, this time it must be an "all time high" harvest.............

but look at the picture........

What did I write:
Quotebut I know, I sometimes take some risks; two really bad harvests in a row might cause problems.

True! But what about 4 bad harvests in 5 years?

Pangaea

Ooof, that looks like a bad ride. How did it go?

Nilla

No idea, havn´t played more. But I´ll let you know.

By the way, I like to manage crisis .... :)

Nilla

crisis over for this time. I had started so many new fields, that the harvest, where you can see the crop freeze, gave a decent food excess. :) And the following year was quite normal and with all those new fields; this time "all time high" harvest :)

Pangaea

I like that spike, and food count is looking good again. You are up to a lot of people too I see, and the tool and clothes situation looks good. Hope it continues like this :)

irrelevant

I think when you start many new farms, it can take 2-3 years for the farmers to get themselves sorted out and start working near where they live. I saw this in Sink Mill. I'd create a big swath of farms together with houses and barns, and they would all start working at once.

The first year the new farms would be awful, either mostly get hammered by frost or not even fully planted. The next year would be better, some farms functioning normally, some still garbage. The third year the new farms would mostly be functioning what I considered to be normally. Sink Mill had several years where many farms came online at once, and each time the next year I thought, "oh hell, this is a disaster." But it always sorted itself out.

I think it just takes a few years for the farmers all to agree on which fields they each would work on. It takes farmers longer than other producers, I believe, because where other producers shuffle jobs to work nearer their housing a few times per year, I believe that farmers only do this one time per year, at the start of early winter after the harvest is finished. To do this at any other time would totally disrupt the farming cycle.

Just a theory which I happen to believe strongly.

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on September 22, 2014, 06:36:52 PM
I think when you start many new farms, it can take 2-3 years for the farmers to get themselves sorted out and start working near where they live. I saw this in Sink Mill. I'd create a big swath of farms together with houses and barns, and they would all start working at once.

The first year the new farms would be awful, either mostly get hammered by frost or not even fully planted. The next year would be better, some farms functioning normally, some still garbage. The third year the new farms would mostly be functioning what I considered to be normally. Sink Mill had several years where many farms came online at once, and each time the next year I thought, "oh hell, this is a disaster." But it always sorted itself out.

I think it just takes a few years for the farmers all to agree on which fields they each would work on. It takes farmers longer than other producers, I believe, because where other producers shuffle jobs to work nearer their housing a few times per year, I believe that farmers only do this one time per year, at the start of early winter after the harvest is finished. To do this at any other time would totally disrupt the farming cycle.

Just a theory which I happen to believe strongly.

You might be right about that theory. I have noticed that, too. And if the frost comes early, new farms are not giving much. But in this case all the new farms gave enough to get out of the crisis. The important thing is what are carried into the barns (by the way I had one full barn last harvest!!!) , not what is lost on the fields. :)

But what is about quarries? I don´t know what to do?

As the food crisis was over, I wanted to expand again, building new houses. But I had never stones enough. I have 3 quarries but the production; real miserable. Reason? Look where the quarry-men live? The other 2 looks about the same. These seems to be the last ones that have priority to houses. The farmers live close, as I can see, and that is good. The miners and the craftsmen also live close, even the vendors. There are builders and laborers (!) in the houses close to the quarry. I havn´t really noticed this before, I usually don´t build any ugly quarries, if i can buy the stone.

I have now reduced the number of workers in the other plants, close to the quarries.We´ll see what happens now. Have anyone else seen this too, and have other hints on what I can do to solve this?