News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nillas isolated town Loomfield

Started by Nilla, August 22, 2014, 01:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

assobanana76

to solve this kind of problem I I reset all the professions (except teacher !!!) by moving all such workers.
then reposition them in the work and magically change jobs based on the proximity of their home to the workplace!
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Nilla

Quote from: assobanana76 on September 23, 2014, 05:00:36 AM
to solve this kind of problem I I reset all the professions (except teacher !!!) by moving all such workers.
then reposition them in the work and magically change jobs based on the proximity of their home to the workplace!

Thanks, that´s a good idea. But I ´ll better wait until directly after the harvest, do not want to mix up with the farmers or maybe exclude the farmers, too. First reset everyone except the farmers and see what happens.

assobanana76

Quote from: Nilla on September 23, 2014, 05:07:11 AM
Quote from: assobanana76 on September 23, 2014, 05:00:36 AM

Thanks, that´s a good idea. But I ´ll better wait until directly after the harvest, do not want to mix up with the farmers or maybe exclude the farmers, too. First reset everyone except the farmers and see what happens.
when you re-move the people at the workplace u must give priority to farmers, miners, blacksmiths, etc. .. before jobs that have homes in the vicinity .. then all the others ..
if you find grammatical errors have to be angry with GoogleTranslate! however, I am studying!!

Pangaea

De-assigning all workers (except teachers)... that's a really good idea :) I'll try that if I run into similar issues.

Like you @Nilla I try to buy the stone and iron I can from merchants, as I think mines and quarries are ugly as sin - particularly the quarry. If you're lacking stone, iron or coal due to lack of mountains to mine it in, there is a couple of mods than can work around that, but it's strictly speaking cheating as it will make them infinite (both the infinite mod and the delete-able mod). I see you were playing without mods, but just thought I'd mention it.

assobanana76

Quote from: Pangaea on September 23, 2014, 06:02:58 AM
De-assigning all workers (except teachers)... that's a really good idea :) I'll try that if I run into similar issues.

Like you @Nilla I try to buy the stone and iron I can from merchants, as I think mines and quarries are ugly as sin - particularly the quarry. If you're lacking stone, iron or coal due to lack of mountains to mine it in, there is a couple of mods than can work around that, but it's strictly speaking cheating as it will make them infinite (both the infinite mod and the delete-able mod). I see you were playing without mods, but just thought I'd mention it.
well maybe unlimited mines / quarry may seem a bit like cheating (but I use it because I play with a small map and objectively not there they would be more than two ..) but the mod that covers the mines / quarries and it does  land in order to build I not think it is really cheating .. ..
in fact, the cave is filled and the mines are closed ..

Pangaea

I'd like to agree, and perhaps do, because they're so bloody inefficient anyway. There is a reason people prefer to buy their goods from merchants instead. Both mods do make them infinite though, but it's either that or sooner or later run out completely of stone, iron and coal -- unless you import it yourself. No other goods operate like this. Everything else you can make yourself (provided you have the seeds or animals), in effect for eternity. Food, wool, fish, deer/venison (I think), wood, firewood. But not stone, coal and iron. The buildings also leave horrible footprints. So I did include the deletable mines and quarries in my recent game. Not built a single one yet as it's just easier to rely on imports, but if I were to play an isolationist game I'd probably use the mod, even if it does make the game a little easier by being able to empty one mine, remove it, and build another one in the exact same spot and have it full again.

assobanana76

Quote from: Pangaea on September 23, 2014, 06:18:18 AM
I'd like to agree, and perhaps do, because they're so bloody inefficient anyway. There is a reason people prefer to buy their goods from merchants instead. Both mods do make them infinite though, but it's either that or sooner or later run out completely of stone, iron and coal -- unless you import it yourself. No other goods operate like this. Everything else you can make yourself (provided you have the seeds or animals), in effect for eternity. Food, wool, fish, deer/venison (I think), wood, firewood. But not stone, coal and iron. The buildings also leave horrible footprints. So I did include the deletable mines and quarries in my recent game. Not built a single one yet as it's just easier to rely on imports, but if I were to play an isolationist game I'd probably use the mod, even if it does make the game a little easier by being able to empty one mine, remove it, and build another one in the exact same spot and have it full again.
oh .. I thought that there rebuild it after it has been deleted it is not possible .. but it can only build buildings ..

Pangaea

Not entirely sure what you mean by that.

I have not tried the Unlimited mod myself. But I've tried the Deletable mod. It works so that you build a mine, and can work on it till it's empty. Then you delete it, just like normal buildings. It takes a little time, then it's gone, but it leaves no footprint. At that point, you can build a new mine there, at the exact same spot if you wish, and once re-built, the mine will again be back to 100%. So the mod is in effect also infinite resources. I pointed that out over at banishedinfo, but I'm not sure if anybody noticed. Saw somebody asked if the two mods could be combined, but the deletable one in effect already is infinite resources, so...

assobanana76

Quote from: Pangaea on September 23, 2014, 06:31:03 AM
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.

I have not tried the Unlimited mod myself. But I've tried the Deletable mod. It works so that you build a mine, and can work on it till it's empty. Then you delete it, just like normal buildings. It takes a little time, then it's gone, but it leaves no footprint. At that point, you can build a new mine there, at the exact same spot if you wish, and once re-built, the mine will again be back to 100%. So the mod is in effect also infinite resources. I pointed that out over at banishedinfo, but I'm not sure if anybody noticed. Saw somebody asked if the two mods could be combined, but the deletable one in effect already is infinite resources, so...
in fact I did not realize this thing .. are identical except that one requires the demolition / reconstruction ..
might as well leave it unlimited then! :)

Nilla

As i said, i play wit no mods and i have 4 such useless holes and another 3 quarries in action (on a medium map). How many do you need to fill a big map? Terrible. Don´t really like these mods that are making the game easier, but for the quarries, they are perhaps more to be considered to belong to the category; "making it look nicer". A demolished mine does not look that bad.

Mod master @RedKetchup: couldn´t you make a mod where an empty quarry could be filled with water and used as a pond for fish or craw-fish?

Back to my NewLoomfield

Sorry, the reset of the professions didn´t bring any change to the better. But sometimes it is sorted out very well for the quarries, without doing anything at all, picture 2,4. But after a while, it´s the same again, picture 1,3.5.

I have now studied, where the people live and how they change professions a bit closer. I now have a theory, a bit different from yours @irrelevant, but it seems to fit on the situation here:

In spring and in autumn, the living space are optimized for the farmers, that they have the shortest distance to walk. In winter and summer (even if the farmers work on their fields sometimes, in summer, picking weeds or something, it seems not to be considered so important), the priority order is different and the quarry-men often (but not always) live, where they are supposed to.  It seems like the workers at the quarry are considered quite unimportant. The miners and the vendors may also live far away sometimes, but as I see it, not so bad as the quarry-men.

I think, mostly we don´t really notice this, because it works pretty well, if you build in a normal way, mixing houses and working places in a reasonable way. But as the map is getting full, it is easier to get it unbalanced. I think especially here with mines and quarries, that are empty, where 15 working-places suddenly disappears. Not making too many building commissions, will probably also help, because it seems, like builders are quite high priority and can mix things up.

As I was studying this, the population grew slowly and I have reach about the population I had as I stopped my first attempt (about 1650). I am partly heating with coal, I have enough steeltools. Sometimes in spring, the toolmakers stands still for a while, having no coal, but I also make some iron tools, just in case. The map is not quite full yet. I have just built my last market place down in the south west corner . So maybe this time I will make the 2000. If only I get enough stones!

rkelly17

Quote from: Nilla on September 23, 2014, 09:51:07 AM
As i said, i play wit no mods and i have 4 such useless holes and another 3 quarries in action (on a medium map). How many do you need to fill a big map? Terrible. Don´t really like these mods that are making the game easier, but for the quarries, they are perhaps more to be considered to belong to the category; "making it look nicer". A demolished mine does not look that bad.

I know you don't want a mass of Trading Posts cluttering up your river, but I found that, in the end, making ale and selling it for stone at 8 or so trading posts was better than constantly having to find new locations for quarries and housing for the workers to work them (not to mention all the poor stonecutters who die horrible deaths). It is a choice and we each decide which problems we can live with and which we can't. I opted for more trading posts than I might otherwise prefer.

Nilla

Quote from: rkelly17 on September 23, 2014, 10:34:36 AM

I know you don't want a mass of Trading Posts cluttering up your river, but I found that, in the end, making ale and selling it for stone at 8 or so trading posts was better than constantly having to find new locations for quarries and housing for the workers to work them (not to mention all the poor stonecutters who die horrible deaths). It is a choice and we each decide which problems we can live with and which we can't. I opted for more trading posts than I might otherwise prefer.

In normal games; if i do not buy anything else; I buy stones, but in this game, the whole thing is the no-trading-port-idea, so I have no other option, now as all the stones that are lying around are gone. I also want to try the limits of the map. That means I need stonehouses, because I will not produce more wood/coal for heating as necessary.

Nilla

So now I will stop for today. I have just reached 1900 people so the 2000 are in reach...... BUT....

I am sure in trouble, food is just enough, not more and (luckily!) so far not less. In summer the stores are more or less empty. I even had 1 starvation death! I think it was someone from a new house, finished in early summer, finding no food, before the harvest began. :( But as long it is just one...

I have no land left to build new farms, so I am stealing land from the forests. I have also started to cut down some low-productive orchards. But I am not sure, if it is the right thing to do. I havn´t built many new orchards the last time, so I do not have enough fruit. Although I have herbalists in every forest, they do not find enough herbs to compensate for the missing fruit. I don´t know, how much the lower health of the people reduce the productivity, if I must pay/overpay, what I win when i replace orchards with fields.

The heating works. Last year I heated about 40% with coal. But it sure is insane; 9 woodcutter making more heating-materials than over 200 coal-miners! But no tool problems so far.

It is for sure economic totally insane to produce coal for heating, but in this case;

if I had no coalmines I must have had more woodcutters.................
and they would have needed more logs................
and that would have needed more forests............
and that would have needed more land....................
and in that case I could not have built so many fields...................
and there would have bin no 1900 Bannies without bigger problems

Pangaea

Looks like it is going much better this time, congratulations. Have you lost many people in the mines and quarries btw? I hear they can have a high death toll.

irrelevant

@Nilla  you have done incredibly well to have reached 1900 on this size map with no trading! You are quite a good problem-solver.