News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark's Ramblings

Started by MarkAnthony, August 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Hi, I just have to make a correction here.  Kid's two new soon to be released mods, Kid Friendly Pumpkin and Kid Coven are not Halloween-themed mods.  Like Kid's Friendly Blue Too mod with its hedgerows, was geared towards the summer season, Kid Friendly Pumpkin is geared towards fall and autumn with its corn harvest and pumpkin patch and autumn deco.  A coven is most commonly associated with a gathering of witches but not the kind that are related to today's Halloween.  All Hallow's Eve was the night before All Saints Day with a more solemn meaning then today.  If my blog story #48 is giving the wrong impression of what the mods were intended to be, then I apologize to @kid1293

Players are of course free to use as they want but I did want to clarify what these two mods are about.

MarkAnthony

Halloween was my wording, geesh. I wouldn't think Kid to be the kind who would take offense by a choice of wording in such a trivial matter.

Although for years (25+ years ago) I was one of those who would put up Christmas decorations after Thanksgiving and leave them up until like February I have now gone back to the more traditional American ways of associating celebrated holidays in their proper months! Autumn October is Halloween, Autumn November is Thanksgiving and December is for Christmas.

You can thank all the dang greedy retailers for my hatred of holidays and decorations out of season now; Christmas decorations in September before Halloween stuff is out and even displayed more prominently? I'm looking at you BigLots and Walmart and et al!  >:(   Thanks for ruining the joy I once saw and felt as the holidays would approach in their proper times!  What wonderful times those were; at least I got to experience that as a kid. I feel sorry for kids today in this sense.

So to clarify and to read between the lines of what I wrote above: We're in October; October to me means Halloween.

Yes I know, witches of yesteryear yore are not the same as what we grew up thinking about Halloween. Let kids at heart be kids! Witches = Halloween!  /stomps feet  :P

EDITED: for better word choice.

EDIT AGAIN: Just think! Before all the Christmas decor and candy is taken down at all the major retailers and grocery stores they'll be putting up Valentines Day stuff and a couple/few weeks after that Easter stuff!  *sighs

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

Abandoned

Kid Friendly Pumpkin and Kid Coven mods are not Halloween-themed mods.  Both mods can be used at anytime and season of the year, their use is not limited. We specifically discussed the Coven's usablility while creating it.  If Kid does not object to these mods being referred to inaccurately, I do.  Enough said.

Ramble on  :)

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Abandoned on October 06, 2019, 09:19:49 PM
Kid Friendly Pumpkin and Kid Coven mods are not Halloween-themed mods.  Both mods can be used at anytime and season of the year, their use is not limited. We specifically discussed the Coven's usablility while creating it.  If Kid does not object to these mods being referred to inaccurately, I do.  Enough said.

Ramble on  :)
Pray tell! How did I in any way limit the use of those two mods by saying that when they are released I was going to use them in my next Gothic-Halloween themed game? You are the one who inferred I thought of them as Halloween-only mods, not I. Correction: I did say "but I want to wait until Kid's two Halloween-themed mods get released" - so touche'. But still, that's not what I meant.

And yes, onwards shall I ramble; 'tis the name of this thread afterall of which you are a guest who is still welcomed should you stop by again. ;)

Abandoned

Quote from: MarkAnthony on October 06, 2019, 05:03:23 PM
I might have one idea but I want to wait until Kid's two Halloween-themed mods get released,

MarkAnthony

LOL we both reposted that at the same time.  :P See my edit please.

kid1293

Stop! You are waking me up!

Good Morning!
You may use my mods anyway you want. If you say it is a Halloween mod, fine.
Someone else may have a different opinion and use it at Easter.

I understand @Abandoned getting angry for putting a mod in a smaller niche
then it was meant to be. In that sense, it is limiting.

I don't like holidays. They remind me of simple things made important through commerce.

Abandoned

LOL  ;D funny, just wanted to clarify that they are not Halloween Themed mods.  Thing is people have a lot of mods and are picking and choosing what to add to their growing mod lists and may dismiss them thinking use is limited to Halloween.

Must I ramble on  ;D   enjoy mods when released.  :)

MarkAnthony

It must be tough going through life being so easily offended at everything. Quit looking for fights that aren't there i.e., quit making mountains out of molehills as my Mom or Grandmother used to say. Even with me initially saying and thinking of them as Halloween-themed mods (being how I saw them for the first time in the month of October I do remind you, and with images and talk of cemeteries, people appearing out of nowhere in corn fields and witches I again remind you) --- that does not limit their use in any way whatsoever, regardless of my opinion; people will use them however they want.

F' it!  I'm gonna load up his Christmas mod and call it a Halloween mod and use it in that next game. Now people won't know what to think! Is it a Christmas mod or a Halloween mod? Mark's using it in a Halloween-themed game ala the movie Beetlejuice or the Nightmare Before Christmas! Damn, now I'm limited!    :P

Sorry but I had too because you seem to be itching for a fight that never was.  :-X

I'll go ahead and ramble on; you however can go ramble off somewhere else. Tomorrow we'll be friends again because I don't hold grudges. As for tonight, "Get off my lawn!"  ROFL  /gotta love Clint Eastwood!  :P

MarkAnthony

Good evening everyone.

Hey @brads3 I did grab that one at Nexus that you mentioned but I also wanted to remind you that @Discrepancy has one also called DSTunnelMine. His does Iron, Coal and Stone too and can be upgraded in three ways after it's depleted:

• Upgrade to get more Iron, Coal and Stone
  • Upgrade to a 20,000 weight Storage Cellar
  • Upgrade to a Mushroom Farm
Me personally I don't see the reason anyone would want a mushroom farm in game but in real life it's actually a thing and it's smart too so I see it making sense in that regard. Anyways, don't forget you could use Discrepancy's mod as well.

I came here briefly this evening to tell @kid1293 that I sure wish I tried his TreeReplacer mod the very first day I started playing Banished with mods! I absolutely love this change in the trees and all of it's fullness and color. I also want to say that he should have thought of and created that TreeTopper mod a long time ago  ;) because that too is wonderful and it goes exceptionally well with TreeReplacer! I play with these two enabled every game now and I foresee doing so for every game in the future as well. And that doDaylightCycle mod, OMG that's just the wonderful icing on top!  8)

With Kid's TreeReplacer mod and the TreeTopper mod I find myself inside the forests as much as possible now, doing my best to place the treehouses well enough that you barely even know they're there. It definitely makes the village look less cluttered when you don't see so many buildings on the ground.

I would love to see that TreeTopper mod get updated to include suspended rope bridges going from one treehouse to another, a city in trees ala Woodelf or Robin Hood style and having thriving communities up there in the trees like the starting cities for elves in EverQuest for example.  Anyhow... just a bit of wishful dreaming on my part.  ;D

Thanks so much Kid for these two mods; I take them with me where ever I go now!  :)       

EDIT: Hey Kid, last night in a PM you mentioned to me "a reindeer in a desert for laughs" - how about treehouses in Egypt?!  :P       

kid1293

My pleasure :)
I like them also and don't forget Tree Replacer Light if you have an old computer.
I had a lot of fun making the trees. It is a free program that makes them.
(they need editing though)

MarkAnthony

Not sure if you caught my edit up above.

Yeah I have the Light version installed too just in case and yes I have an old and lousy computer but right now it doesn't affect me much using the full version because I play on medium or small maps. If you ever saw some of my past posts I mentioned that I don't play my games anywhere near as long as Irrelevant and Nilla do for a few reasons:

• My old and lousy computer can't handle it
  • I get burned out too easily if it goes on too long; I guess I like the starts more than the end
  • I get distracted by mods so I'll play a while for a couple/few days then start a new game with new mod setups and after a few days I forget what I did in the previous game so I just delete them. I'm fine with that
  • Because of the first two reasons above my populations range from 100-500 so I never get too far along where lag has me at a screeching halt
By the way, I also tried out your KidTreeDaydream mod today too. Not for me; TreeReplacer is so much nicer in my opinion.

kid1293

Long ago @Abandoned gave me the idea about a group of connected houses up in the trees.
I thought it was not possible to make. Blocking the path on the ground...
I wish I could solve it.

MarkAnthony

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

I once read a mod description somewhere (here on World of Banished I think) that had homes that were raised up/stilted maybe that were intended to be placed on the sides of steep hills or mountains. Do any of you know which mod that was?

Thanks.  :)

galensgranny

There is the Coastal Houses mod with stilted houses at https://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/227-Coastal-Houses.  But they don't go on hillsides.   Kid's Mountain Mansions do go into hillsides, but they are not on stilts.  http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1873.msg38018#msg38018