News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Aspenglow - Story 35

Started by Abandoned, November 30, 2018, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Chapter 11

Year 11 began with another snowstorm followed by very cold temperatures.   The weather brought another small group of mountain goats closer in search of food.  Another goat shed was built for them.  Herds of deer remained closer to town for longer periods of time so our supply of venison increased. The weather, however, was responsible for our dwindling supply of firewood and cookies.  No one wanted to venture far from home to collect branches.  It was so much nicer to sit by the fireside with a mug of mulled wine and a few gingerbread cookies.  As soon as the temperature began to rise, firewood branches were collected and the Christmas baker began making more gingerbread cookies.  We ran out of potatoes so the Warm Snack stand began making baked apples.  Candy production was halted.  The monks at the Crafter's Guild began making venison sausage.

The warmer weather also brought a group of Highlanders who had had enough of struggling to survive the worsening weather conditions.  They saw our Monastery tower from up in the highlands and headed in our direction.  They thought they had died and gone to Heaven as they sat before the fires in their candlelit rooms at the boarding house eating cheese and sausage while sipping warm mulled wine.  The decision was made, our Christmas care packages to needy Highlanders would consist of goat cheese, venison sausage, mulled wine, and candles.  The elves began building a sleigh.

The Yule Tap would produce mulled wine year round and another worker was added to the candle maker shop.  More houses were built and Vincent went to work as the 2nd woodcutter in town and I took over his job as herdsman tending the sheep.  A tiny chopper was set up down at the forester's settlement to insure a steady supply of firewood to the worker cabins there.  A covering was built to provide some weather protection to the woodcutter.

By winter everyone had a home and a supply of firewood.  Aspenglow's population was 146, 75 adults, 34 students, and 37 young children.

Abandoned

Chapter 12

By early spring of year 12 the elves had a new sleigh built and it was waiting to be filled.  Our plan was to fill 3 sleighs with 500 each of goat cheese, sausages, mulled wine, and candles.  The elves assured us that Santa would combined the items into care packages for each Highland family and deliver the packages in time for Christmas.  Santa would pick up and deliver as many sleighfulls as we could provide, "the more the merrier, ho ho ho".

An elf began filling the sleigh with surplus from the storage facilities, and the sleigh was soon filled with 300 goat cheeses, l97 sausages, 200 candles, but only 38 mulled wine.  Production needed adjustment.  Another elf went to work at the Yule Tap but then there was not enough spices.  A spice house was built behind the grape house.  Production increased but then the elves waited for grapes.  Another grape house was built, production became steadier.  By late winter of year 12 that first sleigh contained 380 goat cheeses, 327 sausages, 340 candles, and 158 mulled wines.  The elves built a second sleigh behind the Yule Tap.

Earlier that year, there was a special building request made by two of the families that were now living and working by the goat sheds.  They were among the last group of families to arrive in Aspenglow and it gave them such hope to see the Monastery tower from the distance.  It gave then peace of mind to spend time in the Monastery chapel but in the winter it was a long way to go back and forth in the bitter cold especially after a days work.  Would it be possible to have a small chapel built for them closer to home.

The chapel was beautiful and often the gentle flickering of candlelight could be seen in the small windows on cold winter evenings, lending an air of warmth and welcome to the goat keeper's small settlement.

rkelly17

Quote from: Abandoned on December 10, 2018, 02:22:36 PM
:)  I suppose since it is made in Banished Tavern it is flagged alcohol but cider is not alchohol.  Actually it should be food or fruit  ;D  A nice healthy nonalcoholic cider so Bannies do not drink it and fall off dock and drowned.  ;D  It has been known to happen  :D

In the early days of Banished there was a definite impression among players that production of alcohol (all ale in pre-modding days) led to decreased efficiency of workers. I don't know whether anyone ever did the research to prove or disprove the impression, but I developed the habit of selling all the ale produced before the locals got their hands on any of it. Don't want fishers falling off the dock or builders falling off the ladder or, worse yet, market traders getting stabbed in drunken disputes.  ;D

By the way, as always I love your stories.

brads3

much of that can be so mod dependant too. i have traders who dont seem to stock ale.TOM made some mods that alcohol was fruit and the bannies would eat/drink it. bannies drink more when they are idle.

Abandoned

:D I don't usually build taverns and when I do I use the alcohol as trade goods, I never had problem with trading post. Thanks for info @brads3 on idle workers.  I usually can not spare workers or food products to produce alcohol.  So I really can't say what effect it has on the bannies.

However, in Riverboat Junction a bannie downed and I blamed it on his tavern visits as an excuse to shut down the tavern  :D  The market trader I had that was stabbed was not because of alcohol but rather poisoned mushroom soup, but that's a whole other story.   :D  I am glad you like my stories @rkelly17   :)

brads3

don't mind me my merchants are weird.there are some items piggy backed onto the CC addon mods.yesterdqay i was messing around and noticed my full inventory shows 2 feathers,yet i so far have no way to produce any.not that i want them.i tried sending ale from the STYTH tower to an RK general TP. dang bannies keep drinking,none is stored nor at the TP.not all merchants take all items either.last map, many didn't take the high valued rum barrels.if you use the mini mod TP, it is still 1.06 even with the many trade fix mods.

Abandoned

It is always a good idea to use the storage or trading buildings included in the same mod as the item produced.  I have rarely if ever had a problem using that philosophy.  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 13

The candles were given to the new chapel by the monk's from their own personal supply.  They only wished there was a copy of the Holy Book to go along with the candles.  The monks were concerned that the Books that were ready for shipment in Monkstown over a dozen years ago were not being delivered.  When Alfredric came to the trading post in Spring of year 13 he was asked what he knew but all he could say was there was a lot of trouble with pirates down around Monkstown and a lot of cargo was thrown overboard.  He knew nothing about any books.  We traded coats and tools for 3,000 of the potatoes he brought from Pumpkin Hollow.

Like the goatkeeper's settlement in the north, the forest settlement in the south continued to grow.  They had their own woodcutter and now a small shed was built.  There were several more houses and families, and a gatherer.  They found it very convenient to have firewood and a food supply close by.  The hunters added plenty of venison and hides to the shed so a tailor was built.  The families were hoping that by the following spring a few sheep could be brought down from town for wool and warm coats.  They would have loved to have their own small chapel but first a Hall of Records was needed and a school.  It was quite far for the children to go to the school in town and even farther to the Monk's Education Center.  Yes, sheep and a chapel would be nice.  They would wait to see what spring and the new year would bring.

Abandoned

oops, forgot pics  :)

Pics added to above chapter

Abandoned

Chapter 14

The new year brought snow and more snow.  After a snowfall there was always a stillness, a peaceful beauty among the pines of Aspenglow, and a lot of branches to pick up.  But after the spring snowstorm of year 14 it was different, there was a sense of urgency to get the snow cleared from the bridge and get to the families across the river that were spotted struggling through the snow. 

There were 7 members of 2 families with very young children.  The men were miners who decided they could not provide well enough for their families here in these highlands.  They were on their way south when this spring snowstorm hit.  They did not think they were going to make it but then during a brief letup in the snowstorm they spotted the Monastery's tower and headed in this direction.  They were most grateful for being rescued and decided they would remain in Aspenglow.

Several more houses were being built, another spice house, and a second Yule Tap.  The forest settlement got a sheep shed and 3 sheep from the main flock.  Their tailor could now make warm coats.  Another candlemaker was built near the Monastery and more candles were being made as long as they got enough beeswax.  Alfredric, the river boatman, said he would see what he could do about bringing some.

Our first sleigh was almost full but the second sleigh needed a lot more mulled wine and candles.  A third sleigh was built by the new Yule Tap and already had quite a bit of goats cheese in it.  The goats produced well and if there was cheese in the storage sheds we were free to take some.  Several times when I got some of the cheese, I walked up to the snack stand and got baked potatoes.  When I got home I put some of the cheese on top of the potatoes, sprinkled on a few herbs, and set them on the hearth until dinner time.  Baked potatoes with melted cheese was delicious winter dinner.

Abandoned

Chapter 15

The elves contacted Santa on behalf of the monks regarding the missing Holy Books from Monkstown.  Santa replied he did not have time to try to located the books but if the monks had books they wanted delivered he would gladly do so.  There was also a reply from Mrs. Claus.  First she wanted to thank us for the eggnog and gingerbread for Santa, it saved her a lot of time in the kitchen and Santa put on quite a few pounds already.  She thought it was wonderful that the monks wanted all the northern places of worship to have Holy Books for Christmas and she thought it would be nice if a pair of candles was included with each books.  There were seven main towns here in the north not counting Aspenglow: North Pole Fishing Hole, North Pole South Annex, North Mining Town, Prospect, Meadowbrook, Lakeland, and Pumpkin Hollow.  Three books per town should be more than enough and of course Santa will pick them up and deliver them.

The monks were not quite sure how it happened but they were now commissioned to produce 21 Holy Books and 42 more candles by Christmas.  They needed another monastery building away from the town where they could work undisturbed.  It was a painstaking task to make copies of the Holy Book and they would need wood, leather, and coal to make the books.  The building itself would need to be quite large and would require a lot of stone.  Across the river would be an ideal location, there was plenty of iron and stone and a mountain to mine for coal.  We did afterall have 2 miners.

By early winter the tiny coal mine was producing coal and the monastery building was nearly complete.  By late winter it was complete and had the materials needed to begin making copies of the Holy Book.  The elves built another sleigh to hold the finished books and the required number of candles.

Gatherer

Quote from: Abandoned on December 15, 2018, 10:06:36 AM
There was also a reply from Mrs. Claus.  First she wanted to thank us for the eggnog and gingerbread for Santa, it saved her a lot of time in the kitchen and Santa put on quite a few pounds already.

I beg to differ on this one. ;D Santa is not out of shape, round IS shape! ;D
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Abandoned

;D Not round enough  ;D he needed fattening up,  ;D that's why high-calorie eggnog instead of milk with his cookies.  ;D

Abandoned

Chapter 16

In early spring of year 16 we had 4 sleighs waiting to be filled.  The 1st sleigh needed only 3 mulled wine and 29 candles.  The 2nd sleigh needed 123 candles.  The 3rd sleigh had enough cheese but needed 300 sausages, 440 mulled wine, and 479 candles.  The last sleigh needed 21 Holy Books and 42 candles.

It was early summer before the first 2 copies of the Holy Book were completed.   We were concerned with our candle count.  It was not easy making candle in the cold and snow and without enough beeswax.  We were relieved when Alfredric returned with potatoes and beeswax.

We paid close attention to our supply of food and firewood.  After every snowfall we collected branches, they were often laying across the roads.  Several times a year we collected wild foods on each side of town so everyone had an assortment of foods in storage. The monks continued to make bread in the main Monastery building and we continued to make candy and cookies as special treats.  Our diligence paid off, our citizens were happy and healthy.  Aspenglow's population was 190, 101 adults, 40 students, and 49 young children.  The town had certainly grown.

angainor88

All of this is making me hungry! Eggnog, cookies, mulled wine, sausages... It makes me want to be sitting by the fireplace, wrapped in blankets, snacking away :P