News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Tombstown - new player going for all achievements

Started by Hardrada, April 03, 2019, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardrada

Background: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=2909.0
Basically I'm a new player that has spent too much time reading about the game and watching videos so I decided to challenge myself with doing all achievements in one town. Will theoretical knowledge suffice or will my town suffer a gruesome fate? Let's find out.:)

Map seed: 112681346
Small mountain map, harsh climate with disasters on

My strategy for the initial push to 300 citizens:
- 1 educated villager on tools, 1 on clothes/firewood while the other 6 clear all surface iron and stone on the map. This allowed me to postpone bulilding a quarry and a mine for quite some time which I think helped a lot to get things going. As I'm on a map that is a bit low on usable land I might not build additional quarries and mines untill all other achievements are in the bag.
- I use a mixture of boarding houses and wooden houses. Because of the map I was not sure that I could heat 80+ wooden houses. Also boarding houses are easier to micromanage and this way I'll have plenty of firewood to trade once I reach 300 pop.
- For food production I'll have 9 gatherer's huts (though 2 very mediocre ones), 4 hunter's cabins (I might try more but I fear overhunting) and about 12-14 fishing docks. I'd guess they'll be able to support about 250 folks.
- I intend to keep other stuff very barebones to save space for gathering. Only 1 blacksmith and 1 tailor, 3 woodcutters, no town hall, probably no herbalist either. I did build a cemetery for sentimental reasons though. With the generated town name I have it was a must.

Picture 1
Map info

Picture 2
By the end of year 2 the core of the main settlement is in place. Had an incredibly early death. Poor guy didn't last a single month as an adult.

Picture 3
Year 6. Another forest hub in the background. In the foreground is the boarding house used as the base of operations for clearing the southern half of the map.

Picture 4
Year 11. Main town area. Boarding house on the left bank was used to clear the Northwest corner and later will hause fishermen.

Picture 5
Year 14. Lemmie was the oldest of the founders yet outlived all the others. Died at 88 years old after remarrying twice in her 70s. Luckily she shacked up with the former blacksmith last so I had an educated one all the way through. Wonder how long those 1270 tools and 450 clothes will last.

RedKetchup

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Your strategies sound good to me. I´m looking forward to seeing how this will go on. Did you manage to make your educated workers do what they are supposed to? I know that even if you settle them "foolproof" they sometimes do unexpected things. At least the number of tools shows that you were successful by the blacksmith.

Hardrada

To be honest I micromanaged my educated workers quite heavily. For the first 14 years I played on 5x speed pausing at the start of every month to check whether I have to reassign workers. The tab of the house of the blacksmith/tailor couple was always open. I played in short spurts so it didn't become too annoying, and it usually took 1-2 minutes / month. I spent way more time procrastinating thinking about how I'll build my town in the future, how to exactly place certain buildings, etc.

My educated workers picking up stone/iron largely did what was expected of them, and if not, no big deal, I had plenty of time to clear everything before they all died. I had the reverse problem there of gatherers/foresters sometimes wandering off to also collect iron/stone. (Or laborers from the other side of the map who were supposed to bring materials to building sites. I had zero uneducated laborers when not constructing buildings and I tried to space iron/stone clearing pushes from building stuff so they usually didn't overlap.) Also after a time I let others live in their boarding house as well as I was already manually reassigning jobs anyhow.

The blacksmith/tailor at first worked well enough automatically unless there were buildings constructed nearby and assigning builders interfered. Later a Hunter's Cabin well to the south kept interfering. I could have fixed that by going back and building it elsewhere (or by building a temporary wooden house at the hunting cabin) but decided to live with it. The biggest problem arose around Year 13 towards the end of their life. That's when reasonably close stockpiles got depleted of iron and vendors couldn't stock it fast enough because of the very low market limit of 8 for iron. If I hadn't intervened the blacksmith would have periodically wandered off to fetch iron himself from the edges of the map. So when I had a single educated worker left I alternated her on tailor/blacksmith.

Looking back I think I was too cautious and a more lax approach would have also worked but I didn't want to risk anything after choosing a suboptimal map. I also wanted to play it very safe so I could bounce back in case of a significant fire or a tornado (or if I screwed something up). I stopped with manual assigning / micromanagament as soon as the last educated citizen died.

Picture 6
I could postpone building a quarry/mine till about Year 15. I decided to place them centrally in/at a narrow valley.

Picture 7
Northwest corner. In the end I built 3 more gatherer's huts than originally planned. These 3 only bring in about 3-400 food each but every little counts and they help with health/diet of riverside/lakeside folks. (The one in the middle on this picture is one of the 3 new ones.)
The picture also shows that I terraformed (with stockpiles/roads) the riverbanks. I had several spots usually between rivers/creeks and mountains where even though the tiles were green nothing grew and foresters refused to plant trees (probably because the terrain was too steep). Flattening the terrain fixed it though it looks a bit ugly in the winter. With grass it's a lot less noticeable.

Picture 8
This is where I am currently. Year 28, about 70k food and 210 citizens. I have 9 boarding houses and 18 wooden houses so space for 63 families. Food production is about 23-24k / year and I still have 2 okay fishing spots left (built 13 docks so far). I stopped here for a bit as I was getting bored with this phase. I might just go with fake demolishing houses from here instead of building more to conserve resources and open space. I ran a short test yesterday and by fake demolishing/upgrading houses while on 10x speed I reached 295 citizens in about 15 minutes by early Year 32. Had about 100 homeless people and 200 housed. I think that's what I'll do 'live'.

Hardrada

Decided to test hunters before continuing after reading Tom Sawyer's very informative guide on deer and hunter behaviour. I went from 4 hunter's cabins making a combined 12-13 kills / year to 7 making a combined 21-22 or so on average. Better not to think about all the venison and leather I lost out on in the last 15 or so years.

Picture 9
A fire broke out in year 30 but luckily it had no chance to spread.

Picture 10
I decided to go with the fake demolishing / homeless plan to reach 300 citizens. I created families at close to the max rate first then gradually tapered it off and all but stopped by about year 30. This way I reached the target population at the start of Year 32 in a way that allowed me to continue without closing houses / starving citizens or any other tricks afterwards. Population levelled out naturally around 320. I might have gone straight for 400 but wanted to play around a bit in the One with nature phase.

Picture 11
Started building 2 trading posts and 4 schools right after getting the achievements. I could gather ~17k venison and ~5k firewood in my trading posts. One of the first two traders was a food merchant. I'm also selling some herbs collected manually and leather as soon as I can get my hands on wool (or finished coats). I'll be buying food as needed (grains will be always on order), wool, stone and I'll trade in iron tools for steel tools whenever possible.

Picture 12
Unexpectedly I got the happiness and health awards soon after. Afaik they are not hard to get but it was still nice to cross them off early. The extra gatherer's huts and cemetery did pay off. I closed the mine and the quarry with reserves of 60% and 40% remaining. Also shut off the blacksmith till I have a largely educated workforce.

Picture 13
Trader achievement completed. Waiting for stone to arrive to build more trading posts, a town hall, another tailor and a second market. I plan to add taverns as well to further bolster trade.

RedKetchup

it is nice to see someone playing mountains.... really not enough mountain maps are played.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

catty-cb

I've always wanted to do the achievements but never seem to find the time, am following this with interest and thanks for posting   :)