News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Embx61 Work in progress

Started by embx61, May 02, 2017, 06:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elemental

As I wrote in a PM just a moment ago, please do not do 3000 different signs. We don't need that many. A couple of different fonts at most, with maybe a couple of different colours. The ones I sent you are finished product and not meant to be re-made in 20 different fonts. That's just too much work and it really isn't necessary. And besides, our fingers would fall off from all those F key variants. :)

The ones you have made already look great.

embx61

LOL

We had just some miscommunication as I understood it wrong.

No, as I said, I was not planning to make 3200 signs as indeed way too much and the mod will become quite big as many textures are needed to cover it all.

We scatter all the fonts over the different signs to have the variety we are after.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

Paeng

Quote from: kid1293 on August 05, 2017, 05:05:35 PMTake it slow.  ;)

Definitely... the players also need some time to "digest" all the fine goodies... which will lead to new ideas quite naturally  :)

Quote from: elemental on August 05, 2017, 04:48:16 PMVery true. I don't like building the same building twice in the one town ...<snip> ... Even just a second texture set helps a great deal with variety.

yeah, or even just setting a different roof on a building often does the trick... for example the vanilla tavern, one of my favorites, except for the roof - too black for my taste... give that a couple of different F-key roofs, maybe a few different props scattered around, and you got a "new" tavern with a completely different feel...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

QueryEverything

@embx61 silly question, but I haven't played yet (sadness still) - the signs:  Trading Co, Trading, Village, Hamlet etc (some not included, but hint hint, haha) - can they be separated from their current ones so can be mixed and matched.  eg:

Barrow & Green Trading Co - also be:  Castle Rock Trading Co

So, essentially the shorter signs can also be found as a separate one, and if so (they already are), can we add a few additional ones like:  Village, Hamlet, Lake, River, Crossing, Traders,

Just an idea - but, it may make expansion easier, that way the player can mix & match to their hearts content, rather than you having to create a full sign for each new release? 

*looking forward to playing ....
** the above may be the way it is in the mod, I just haven't had a chance to play it yet *sadness

As for same building in the one town, quite often many villages have the same category of stores but different branding, so I build the same way :D  Can't
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

elemental

I haven't tried them yet either but I am fairly sure each sign is a standalone piece. I don't think the tops and bottoms are separate and interchangeable. It's not a bad idea but unless we limit them to a very small number of fonts and colours you quickly get a lot of F variants for each half sign. I do like the idea of customisable signs but some people might find so many F variants very tedious.

embx61

Like elemental says the idea is a good one and I even thought of it myself.

Sure it is possible but we end up with a lot of F Key variants (The reason after giving it some thought to scrap the idea).

Then the signs have to be in different categories. Top sign and bottom sign.
Creating them is not a issue but the mod will end up with lots of signs and to get the combination you want you have to push the F key a lot of times twice.

Then the combinations have to be the same font and color as two different fonts and color on 1 sign is I think not what many players want but I can be wrong about that (I as a player would my whole sign in one font and color though)

So if we do it the signs will be quite limited in variations.

If I make all the business names like Black smith, Apothecary , Foods, Materials, Minerals, Hunting, e.g. in about 4 fonts in 2 colors it will already be about 80 signs (10 business names x 4 fonts x 2 colors. Then all the regular names doubles this. is 160 variations for just 10 business names and 10 regular names in just 4 fonts and 2 colors.

The best would have been if the game allowed custom naming by the players. So you dump a sign down and by clicking on it a box popup in screen were the player can chose out some fonts and colors of the font and start typing. By clicking OK the box will close and the text will be on the sign. But Banished have not this ability and I highly doubt Luke will ever implement this even if we would ask him.

I promise nothing but maybe if room allows on a texture I will add a few of them but as I said, the variations will be limited with just 1 font for each combination and even just 1 color. So the fonts/colors will just be chosen randomly for the signs names and business names.

wiscoke

@embx61  I'm using your gutters for something else...my cows getting constantly fresh water through the gutters!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1102735881

embx61

That is awesome.

I never thought of that.

They are a bit small though so I shall this week create a bit higher and wider drinking piece, two tiles wide which can be placed at the end of a gutter for the animals.
Should be save compatible if done so the poor cows not bump their heads anymore :)

EDIT. Three tiles wide seems better by looking at the picture again :)

wiscoke

yes that would be great. I use them also instead of a well for doing the laundry :)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1102794127

elemental

Quote from: wiscoke on August 06, 2017, 02:04:37 PM
@embx61  I'm using your gutters for something else...my cows getting constantly fresh water through the gutters!

That's the first time I have seen those ditches covered with flowers and it looks great.  :)

QueryEverything

Quote from: wiscoke on August 06, 2017, 02:04:37 PM

Great idea @wiscoke :)  This mod has been having some extremely useful gameplay :)  haha

@elemental & @embx61 I can certainly see your points, and agree with the idea of over abundance ....

What about limiting it so it's more like a 'sub-title', so the main posts stay the same - all pretty and colourful etc, as they are now etc etc, no alterations there.
But, for the shorter signs limiting it to 2 or 3 colours (dark & light, for different contrasts) and the same in fonts, less fancy, more plain - they are after all the 'sun-title', and not "the Header".

Mary's Little Lamb Chops
Butcher

Harry's Stitch n Sew
Tailors

I'd be happy with something like that :D so you wouldn't have to make an X amount more, but keep with the theme :D
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

RedKetchup

@wiscoke Thats very unique and very lovely !

one of the best screenshot i ve seen so far !
all the details you did put everywhere !

and it brings me a question :) how happens the fresians and the red fresians seems to be in the same pastures ? (i take it they are coming from Red Creamery: Cows ?)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

embx61

Elemental talked with me about adding some signs for the more regular businesses as Tailor, blacksmith, Tavern, Winery, e.g and I think I can do the two sign thing for that.

So a regular 1 board sign with some regular names like "Geoffrey Lelandus" and then a second board what the player can choose a business like tailor, blacksmith, tavern, winery, e,g. which fits right under it.

A lot of name combinations are possible this way and I just scatter the different fonts around over them to keep the F Key variation reasonable.

Elemental is also trying to go with some graphics on some signs so I looking forward what he comes up with. :)

As it is WIP the mod will grow as long as the textures and F key variations are kept reasonable.

I honestly think 20 to 25 F key clicks should be enough but I can make several categories to help against too many F key variants in 1 category.
I have now one category with 38 variants and it is already a bit painful and my F key start losing it's F print on my keyboard. LOL

embx61

LOL

I wanted to ask the same question about the cows. It looks like two pastures are drawn over each other but this is not possible.

elemental

I didn't even notice the cows until you mentioned them. My guess is that some of them are ghost decos from CC.