News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Not Habitable Houses

Started by Trizeropz, March 20, 2015, 07:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trizeropz

hey guys. i played today on my 3k pop town and was so happy about my exploding food and log economy.. then i just saw '37 homeless' even though i didnt demolish any houses. i searched for 1 hour to find out but dont understand. on the screenshot you see on the left the inventory from an average house. on the left you see the 'bug' houses. families move in to the apartment but cant stock the inventory with food or either go to the house. they just stay beside it and wait. after minutes they are signed as homeless and die at starvation.. then a new familie move into it. these houses appear random near a market or near crops field... sometimes 3 houses in row. i totally dont understand. just lost 200 pop over 3 years cause this 'bug'. anyone had this too? (sorry its google translater)

RedKetchup

never saw that bug with such proportions. we dont see clearly and not zoomed anough to see if all the path to these house are ok or not
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I think I know what it might be. It's a bit hard to see on the map, because of all the menus but I have had similar things.

It happens, if you not put the buildings close to eachother and there is some small closed space in between, behind the buildings (or close to a river or something else). For some reason, people get in to that closed space, but cannot find their way out and dies. The only solution is to tear some buildings down, to free them from their prison. (and beware of this and make no such spaces when you build in the future).

A Nonny Moose

An interesting point.  I haven't had many incidents like this, but I always space my houses out so that there can be streets between them every five houses or so.  So far, I've had one mysterious no-domicile signal and that was eventually resolved by my wandering Bannie.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

irrelevant

Quote from: Nilla on March 21, 2015, 03:35:37 AM
I think I know what it might be. It's a bit hard to see on the map, because of all the menus but I have had similar things.

It happens, if you not put the buildings close to eachother and there is some small closed space in between, behind the buildings (or close to a river or something else). For some reason, people get in to that closed space, but cannot find their way out and dies. The only solution is to tear some buildings down, to free them from their prison. (and beware of this and make no such spaces when you build in the future).
I expect this is it. I have also had this happen a couple of times. One of the residents of the house makes it to the front door, thus claiming the house for herself and her family, then can't find her way back out. She and her family are then marked as homeless; all eventually will starve.

This can easily happen if the only way to the front door of a house is diagonally using the walkway of that house. There is no way back out. If you are going to pack housing together like that, it is important to get them laid out on a grid, with streets running all the way through.

RedKetchup

even if often we see citizens going in diagonals ... doesnt mean the path tool can easily use diagonal. maybe in the game coding, these 2 features can use 2 different set of code.

Trizeropz

yeah that sounds like it is. every families went in the gap and starve. dut i dont really understand how i shouldnt place the houses.
here is a batter screenshot.
its the house whats target and the house with the snowflake. actually ive built always like this xd do you think it will happen the new houses on the bot too?
i will demolish the house that i think its the blocked way

A Nonny Moose

Looking at that last screen shot and remembering my experiences with another program (SC4Deluxe), I think where you may have trouble is that you have too many houses close together without road allowances.  Back to back is fine, but there should be a street along the frontage of all houses.  It can be grass, mud or stone, but it should be there.

Also try breaking up your housing clusters into blocks of, say, 2 x 5 houses and be careful not to create culs de sac with no exits.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

RedKetchup

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on March 21, 2015, 09:55:47 AM
create culs de sac with no exits.

haha i guess you mean " dead ends " ?? hehe

Nilla

Yes it's obvious now. The front of the house must have one way out.

You should also think about, that the people ought to have a convenient way to reach their homes from their workplaces. Otherwise they will spend a lot of time just walking around and be very unproductive. That's another reason to build houses along roads, leading to markets and working places,

Trizeropz

Trizeropz

seems that it wasnt the problem.. look at screenshot1. the door is direkt connected to the dirt road

2nd problem: i dont get any new childs! i built like 100 new houses, even more than the years before because i need to expand heavy with new crops. but look at the screen. the child-rate just halfed. in summer 94 there was a babyboom of 67 new born exact at summer 94. before and after not a single one. what is going on with my village?:o i just lost 250 people with the odd houses that cannot reached by citizens and no new born

on screenshot 5 you see all new houses in the past 3 years. i should be at 3500 occupants instead..

chillzz

it does still look like pathing error.
Sometimes it does happen to me, while building a bridge.. somehow they manage to go to the other side with resources.. but die before they return.

Same happens if a gather or hunter comes to close to the waterside and cannot go around a building (even if he/she could go there in the first place)
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup

Trizeropz

and what can i do?

here is another example. enough space to go to the door. even a house nearer the water can reach

chillzz

tear down and give it more space..  maybe it will work. Do keep in mind, that even though you can build roads  on the first tiles of a home.. it's actually still part of the structure..  give the houses more 'breathing room'.. it will probably resolve itself.
support New Medieval Town development!
click here to donate via PayPal to RedKetchup