News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Cosacks semi-retired

Started by Bobbi, October 18, 2014, 03:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbi

Apparently Cosacks got a job in the gaming industry and is looking to find people to help him with his "Fountain" Mod because he won't have much time for it anymore. Mostly I love his hedges and bridge, but he has done some really nice stuff. Pity. Sorry, buddy, I can't mod, only appreciate.

Pangaea

Excellent news for him, though. Was it on the back of his modding work?

Bobbi

No idea, but I'm sure it didn't hurt.

slink

I have the hedges redone, and am now looking at the flowerbeds which apparently never got finished.  There are also some sundials in and a small fountain in that file.

irrelevant

A small fountain would be nice, they all are too big. Sundial's a nice touch too.

The hedges were the best single thing out of that mod.

slink

I have the four completed fountains in now, so it is back to what he had released as completed.  I just have some ragged edges to smooth out, like a missing tooltip and an icon that looks bad, and then I am into waters that are only partially charted.  Luckily for me, the graphics are done.  I just have to write the text files that handle those.  I'm afraid I'll screw it up if I keep at it tonight though, so I'm taking the rest of the evening off.   :)

irrelevant

Get some rest (well-earned); then first thing tomorrow, it's back to your oar! ;)

Paeng

Quote from: irrelevant on October 31, 2014, 05:09:26 PMThe hedges were the best single thing out of that mod.

Actually I also like his small wooden houses (the thatched ones on stilts), they look great near lakes and such... maybe even as an alternative fishing hut / fishermen's residence... they have a few issues though -

* they are too large (scale-wise);
* they pick residents totally at random, never e.g. professionals who need a home close to their job.

I'd be happy to see those in the game...  :)
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

slink

Buildings will be in a different mod from the hedges and so forth.   :)

irrelevant

Excellent! *steepling fingers* Who is that firebrand, Smithers? ;)

Paeng

[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: slink on October 31, 2014, 03:55:05 PM
I have the hedges redone, and am now looking at the flowerbeds which apparently never got finished.  There are also some sundials in and a small fountain in that file.

Thank you, @slink. Flower beds, sundials and a smaller fountain sound great.

One thing I've noticed in some of cosacks' work is he uses a lot--and I mean a LOT--of builders on some items. One example is 12 (count them, 12) on the Medium Stone Houses. That throws everything off since those houses suck in all the builders from every other project. If you could turn them down to normal levels while you're at it, that would be wonderful.

Here I am creating work for others again. I really do have management potential.  ;D

slink

I have to laugh at myself, @rkelly17.  I was reading your post from the point of view of a modder and not of a player.  I was wondering how I could affect how another team utilizes its contributors.  Then I realized you mean Builders in the game.  Oh, right, those builders.   ;D

slink

I did reduce the number of builders on the houses, and when I did so the slider re-appeared for setting the number of builders.  There were 12 build dummies and I removed all but four in each of the three files (small house, medium house aka stone gatherer's hut, and inn).  Why removing eight of 12 build points should have caused the game to offer an adjustment slider is a mystery to me.  However, that caused the use and smoke dummies to stop working correctly.  The FBX file is a lot smaller now, for all three.  Some kind of information that was in there got lost when it was imported into and exported from 3ds MAX.  I will probably have to remove the dummies entirely and create them anew.  This should not be a big deal (famous last words).

I'm a little puzzled as to why the medium stone house appears to be primarily made of wood, although it does require stone in the same proportions as the stone house.  The small wood house isn't sized correctly for its outline in the game, or visa versa, and the road goes through the staircase (and so do the people walking down the road).  I think they were pushing the envelope, so to speak, and it wasn't working.

So the long and the short of it is that the houses will take a little longer than I has thought, but hopefully they will be nicer when they are released again.

irrelevant

What are those medium stone houses? I see them in my bar but I've never built one because of the size. What is special about them, and what is up with the funky road aprons?