News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Intervale

Started by Necora, May 25, 2017, 08:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

Are you really sure, that they prefere firewood over other fuels @Tom Sawyer, @brads3? As I said; it's been a long time, since I checked these things out. It was in the time before the mods. I wanted to find out, how it worked, in order to find ways to let blacksmiths keep as much coal as possible. A I saw it then, the best way, was to locate choppers and stockpiles well over the place, not have too many vendors to carry the coal around and to locate blacksmiths for steeltools close to coalmines. I'm sure, I've seen people picking up firewood and coal at the same time, same as they do with different foods, not always, but I've seen it, when it was firewood and coal left on the actual stockpile/market.

In my present game, there were more charcoal than firewood in the houses as I looked. But you can't make any real conclusions from that. I had firewood and charcoal in my stores to that time, but when I make lumber, I make no firewood, so it might have been very little firewood in the stores a period before I looked.

And @brads3 I have tried the NatDiv mod, but only the light version, so far. The full mod is on my waiting list. There are others there as well, like the latest @Necora mods. Too many new mods, too little time to play. And when I test new mods, I really want to "hardtest them". I want to get a real impression of them, how they work in my way of playing; a few new things at the time, work best for me.

And Tom; I would be pleased to see a blog from you playing the North, even if you wouldn´t be good at it. But my guess is; that you are very good.

brads3

gm,NILLA. i have the no coal mod and play with CC,so that could have tweaked the things a bit. my understanding is the houses won't use charcoal this way. it should though make thatch and firewood more equal.my experience says the bannies prefer firewood over thatch. in LOWESVILLE,the fort chopper had trouble getting the firewood reserve up partly because the houses in the fort took the firewood more than thatch. the houses in the meadow who had better access to thatch used both. in the beginning i did try to keep the FW limit down to force them to buyrn thatch so it didn't fill the pile.
did you see the pics from yesterday?  i took 1 of the inventories in the houses.with your theory,houses on the right should burn thatch and the left should use firewood.it didn't show that way at all.any house that had thatch had more firewood than thatch.
i want to load the new pine forest and some other updates from NECORA. i held off a bit waiting for the pine update.now i waited because i wanted to see about my crop problem and a few other annomalies. i try not to add mods in the middle of games. i hope he figures out the balance better too.
    the NAT DIV mod has changed how the maps look considerably.we now have meadows not just dense forests. i was surprised at how much thatch i did need for building though. i knew i needed some for wood houses. i did not realize i needed it for pastures and the mines.i do pick up enough clearing for buildings. from what i read, the next version is even better.

Necora

@Tom Sawyer it doesn't happen very often, I mainly just technical test. But, I get very little feedback apart from 'please add this' or 'this is a bug', which I totally appreciate, but I would like a bit more functional feedback too. @Nilla was great with the blog a while back, and I've taken all of the points into consideration, but, that is just one person's opinions and I would like more so I decided it was time for a thorough play through of myself. I worry I made things too overpowering and easy, and in some cases I have found out that I have (fur). I want to make it a bit more difficult I think while also keeping the diversity in there.

@brads3 I'm using vanilla speed, which I decided I really don't like. I might give Tom's norsemen a go. I think I have broken this save anyway with changes to the pine set, so might have to start a new anyway (on the same map, I like this seed).

Updates to the final mods will be coming at the end of the week.

brads3

i am sorry NECORA. i am a few loads behind now.lol you have gotten ahead of me.you have already tweaked productions since the version i am using.my trapper is slow. it has been blamed on how i use it. i set it with RED's fodder fields. i had to in 1 game.the beavers kept building lodges. it worked to kick the beavers out. they moved just outside the trapper radius though.i also use it in meadows to trap foxes and rabbits.i could give you numbers but with the new gathering ability you developed mine would be out of date. you did drop the apples down. i have not ran a forest long enough to say much.the furrier hut keeps up with the furs and pelts. i never have a surplus of either so far.the medical center has been used in several towns. it does fit nicely with other mod sets.with the front porch it goes good with KID's wildwest mod. i did notice it has ghosted walls at the corners so i must be careful when placing it.
   the indians filed a complaint the other day. they wanted turkeys,said they could use the big tail feathers for bedding and survival coats.they wanted me to thank you for teaching bannies not to step on and crush bird nests too.

Abandoned

@Necora I think it would be very good for you to have feedback from players who have different play styles and time and start preferences.  They can very greatly, and you don't want to lean to much in favor of one way or the other. Sorry I can't be of any help because I have not updated my game to 107 yet.  So many mods, I am still trying 106's that I have not used yet.  Look forward to trying all your sets.  They look great.  :)

Karlieb

Quote from: Necora on May 27, 2017, 06:02:37 AM

Some notes - all houses in the sets I've made have a minimum of 4 people per house (2 aduts - 2 children). I have a few larger ones that allow 5 or 6. But one thing I am curious about, has anyone actually seen a house with 3 or more children in it at a time? I can't remember ever seeing this.

I have seen 3 children in a home, but I also use a 1 year/year mod.

QuoteThere is no difference to a bannie between fuels apart from what ever is closest, so that might be why more firewood is chosen over thatch. Maybe they can carry more of it at one time. I still can't decide if trade value has any impact on bannie choice of goods, it will have to be investigated

They don't care one bit about trade value and I'm sure, you've found the right reason; they grab the fuel that's closest. I haven't looked at thatch, but coal and firewood. If both are available, they might/might not grab some of each. The mechanisms behind this, I don't really understand.

@Nilla @brads3 @Necora

Could it be the bolded line in the code?

RawMaterialFlags _flags = Fuel | WoodFuel;
   bool _preferred = true;

I have that line in some 'hay' and they prefer it over firewood (probably because it loads after firewood). They'll even walk further to get it and ignore a pile of firewood next door.

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: Karlieb on May 30, 2017, 09:57:46 AM
   bool _preferred = true;

That's it!

I've tested it with coal preferred by this line and they take the coal instead of firewood. Never noticed this line. Thank you for this find. :)

Nilla

That's a good find. As I've said; I think this is added in some patch, because people complained about all coal burned in homes instead of by the blacksmiths. But now, I think a modder who introduces a new fuel, can think about, if he/she wants to take away this line, keep it the way it is or even change it to prefer the new fuel.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Karlieb on May 30, 2017, 09:57:46 AM

RawMaterialFlags _flags = Fuel | WoodFuel;
   bool _preferred = true;

i agreee and thats something i never noticed !

if bool prefer fuel, it prefer all the fuel. it needs woodfuel first !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

QueryEverything

@Karlieb you are a hidden gem ;) 

With the new kitchens etc that are ingame, that use 'firewood', is that a Fuel | WoodFuel or just WoodFuel - I wonder about that as I play through some that Bannies seem to freeze in 1 map, and where Food services don't produce (out of stock) on another, but there are XXXX amounts in the Fuel screen.  Odd.

@Necora One of the biggest things I found (and in the many(too) years of Beta testing & project work), is that it's always a great start when the modders & devs playthru their own games as a player would.  And not 'by the numbers', and with a 'by the numbers' approach, because not everyone reads the manual (oh my goddess, that's a whole other issue), so play style will vary differently.

Yesterday hubby does a work presentation, gets in the sim, does a 'by the book' startup, and takes off.  Answers ques etc, his work colleague gets asked if he wants a demo, jumps in looks around, "I've never done this, I'm going to drive it like a stole it", and proceeds to button smash, but gets it to work.

The point being ...  There is no one way to play in a sandbox or open terrain, and we're finding more and more nuances in this game that make changes everyday, and if it wasn't for players 'playing off book', or snooping under the covers, then the game wouldn't be what it is becoming.

I would love to see what else you bring to Intervale, and see if you get the same enjoyment we do when we use your mods.  :D 
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

Karlieb

Quote from: RedKetchup on May 30, 2017, 12:25:09 PM

i agreee and thats something i never noticed !

if bool prefer fuel, it prefer all the fuel. it needs woodfuel first !

Sorry, I probably should have posted more of the file; that's only two lines from RawMaterialFirewood.rsc. The bool actually prefers firewood and not fuel.

I wonder if the preferred tag would work on other things too; unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that it would be useful on.

RedKetchup

oh ok . so it is linked to a raw material file and this is that raw material file it applies only, gotcha.
thats you for the precision :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .