News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I always add DS Wagon Vendor to a North game. It fits well; the function, the look and the idea of a travelling merchant, visiting the village from time to time. I seldom build the big markets in the North until a game grows pretty big.

But you are right, in a pure Nordic game, a small market is missing.

Jando

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on June 18, 2018, 01:26:46 PM
To @Jando, there is not really something wrong in your screen but actually the vendors should continue to fill up the market with foodstuff. They do it with up to 20% of each type of food (grain, fruits etc). That all different food items like apples and pears are provided can not be guaranteed. If you find more odd things please show..  :)

Thanks for your answer, Tom!

And yes, by now I know there's nothing wrong there, I only had the wrong expectations. :) I automatically assumed that the villagers would actually want all that different food stuff and that therefore the vendors should carry it to the market. I knew nothing about types of foods in Banished when I made that post/screen shot, I just thought "Hey, I have 20 different foods in my storehouses around the market, why do the vendors only carry half of it to the market?" I guess I'm not the first newbie wondering about that.

Still playing that map and I'm basically drowning in food now. There's just so much of it, I have no idea what to do with it. I've just put 5.000 foods into the trading post, but then I know there's nothing I would want to buy from a trader anyway, with the exception of the last 2 roof tiles to finish my brickyard. From then on all trades won't matter because the trader will have nothing my village would want to buy.

But that's probably a design problem with the whole game, in the beginning the player needs seeds, lifestock and in The North also glass, bricks and roof tiles. But whether a trader brings these items or not seems to be totally random, causing players either to build many trading posts or to use the old "save and reload until the trader has what you need" mechanic. Anyway, once a village has these items trade just becomes completely irrelevant. I've played with the idea of starting a new map where I will not build any glassworks, brickyards or coal mines, to force myself to rely on trade for these items - but trade is just too random to rely on getting something one needs.

Nilla

@Jando; I've been playing the North a lot. Of course, it's possible to play more or less without trade, after you've bought the "basics". But I find trade a fun part of a Nordic game, that's why I mostly play on "harsh", where farming is difficult and you really need to buy food (except proteins).

But I can agree; on mild/fair with enough farming and some processing of food, you'll have more goods to sell than you need to buy. I use to accumulate coins; thinking, I might need them later.
It's fun and you'll have some need for the bank. And maybe even you'll run short on something later in game, so you can actually use the coins. ;)

Gatherer

Perhaps coins could be used as a requirement for an upgradeable versions of certain structures? To build a bigger capacity market, trading post, church,...or a better insulated house? You could then pretend that the builders are getting paid for their work.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Jando

Quote from: Nilla on June 20, 2018, 07:46:37 AM
@Jando; I've been playing the North a lot. Of course, it's possible to play more or less without trade, after you've bought the "basics". But I find trade a fun part of a Nordic game, that's why I mostly play on "harsh", where farming is difficult and you really need to buy food (except proteins).

But I can agree; on mild/fair with enough farming and some processing of food, you'll have more goods to sell than you need to buy. I use to accumulate coins; thinking, I might need them later.
It's fun and you'll have some need for the bank. And maybe even you'll run short on something later in game, so you can actually use the coins. ;)

Yes, I've not yet played a game in harsh climate, thus things may change then, I can't judge that. And yes, so far I'm collecting coins (43 gold, lol) though I keep them all in the (one) trading post, for the odd chance a trader comes that has something to sell I would want. I also agree that trade could be a fun thing. I find Tom had a very good idea forcing players to buy their initial glass, bricks and roof tiles, though I also find myself reloading a game (saved a few tiles before the trader arrives) for many, many times to actually get a trader that sells these items.

Just as rough guesstimate I'd say about 95% of all traders arriving don't have any glass, bricks or roof tiles to sell.

Quote from: Gatherer on June 20, 2018, 08:52:07 AM
Perhaps coins could be used as a requirement for an upgradeable versions of certain structures? To build a bigger capacity market, trading post, church,...or a better insulated house? You could then pretend that the builders are getting paid for their work.

I think that's basically a good idea, however, the randomness may be a problem: whether a trader arriving has coins or not is also down to a dice roll I believe.

LadyMarmalade

I must be severely lacking in the brains department because no-one else seems to have this problem except me..

I downloaded The North today after reading about it on here and wanting a change. On the whole I'm really enjoying it although its much more difficult than my usual gameplay but thats good. Means it should hold my interest for longer.

There's one part of it that totally confuses me tho. It's to do with the allocation of workers.  There's clearly some link that I'm unaware of between different workplaces. It's not possible to, for instance, just add a single worker to the charcoal burner..or the blacksmith or the campfire or Dairy Hut.. I can't work out what's going on.

In this example I would want to add a worker to the Dairy Hut . It says 0 of 1 but also says there are 2 already allocated which there clearly arent as I only have one Dairy Hut. Presumably the dairy hut is linked to some other buildings which seems to mean I cant specify the Dairy Hut unless I identify the other building(s) and turn them off? Is that right?

The crop field says 0 of 1 - but also has the 2 and seems to be linked to the Dairy Shed for some unknown reason.

I have the distinct feeling i'm missing something extremely obvious here and that I'm going to look a real idiot when it gets explained to me. My excuse is that its 2.41am and I'm tired but determined to sort this before I can fall asleep!
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

Abandoned

@LadyMarmalade , some workplaces not necessarily related in any way have generic "worker".  Also in some mods professions like farmers are used in different building like the dairy hut.  It is a way to keep from having an ever growing long list of professions.  Maybe someone else can explain it better. 

Also in the professions list you can cycle through the workers and check their workplaces.  That may help.

Jando

Aye, the dairy hut is staffed by a farmer. The little grain symbol before "0 of 1" tells, it's the same symbol that's used in the professions list.

Nilla

When I add workers (as @Jando and @Abandoned says, in this case a farmer) I find it convenient not to use the profession menu. Instead I click on the small arrow up, directly right to the 2, that says how many farmer you have totally.

Abandoned

Yes, that is how I increase or assign workers also.  The professional list I find helpful to identify what group the worker belongs to if in doubt.  Sometimes, one click will at the worker to one of the other building with the same type worker and you must then check other buildings.  If you add the farmer to the dairy hut but the number does not go up to 1 of 1 then the new worker got added to a crop field instead.  You will then have to find which field and lower the maximum number in that field.

Nilla

Quote from: Abandoned on June 21, 2018, 05:32:41 AM
Yes, that is how I increase or assign workers also.  The professional list I find helpful to identify what group the worker belongs to if in doubt.  Sometimes, one click will at the worker to one of the other building with the same type worker and you must then check other buildings.  If you add the farmer to the dairy hut but the number does not go up to 1 of 1 then the new worker got added to a crop field instead.  You will then have to find which field and lower the maximum number in that field.
The fields are normally no problem in the North, since the default number of farmers on a field, no matter how big, always is 1. (By the way the default number of every profession is 1, very convenient) It's only a problem, if you've built several buildings for the same profession, that you haven't staffed yet, or have taken workers away without closing the site. But on the other hand, you will have the same problem, if you use the profession menu.

LadyMarmalade

Thanks for all your help and replies. Things are looking alot more  clear in the light of day. I need to stop the late nights.

I've got the allocation of workers thing sorted now just have to work out the limits which also seem very strange to me even in the light of day!  I can't Yet work out why, for instance, my tool production keeps stopping and I get the icon saying the limit has been reached when it clearly hasn't - or I get icons saying there arent enough materials to make something when there clearly are.. Perhaps I just need to take a break from Banished for a few days - I have been playing it for several hours at a time lately lol.

Nilla

The limits/flags are different in the North. Confusing? Maybe, but less confusing than the vanilla flags. The blacksmith is a bit special, since he can produce goods from three different flags with three different limits. Unfortunately only the tool limit is shown at the Blacksmith shop. Maybe @Tom Sawyer, you can improve this and add the other limits; iron and utensils (wheelbarrows and traps, at least I think they both belong to this flag). So @LadyMarmalade, if the blacksmith stops producing tools, even if you haven't got enough tools, one of these limits is reached.

Didn't you say, that you like football, @LadyMarmalade. There are at least 3 games each day; enough time to make a Banished brake! ;)

LadyMarmalade

lol @Nilla  Yup.  I am set up very nicely with the TV on, with the football matches while I sit at my desk and play Banished.  Unless its a game that I am especially interested in when the game gets stopped and the TV gets my 100% attention. That means England - who dont play again until Sunday and Germany - but only because I really want to see them get properly beaten :)

Thanks for the tip about the limits. I had no idea about the utensils one! 

One last quick question - am I right in thinking I have to buy any salt I need? I can't see any other way of getting it?

kid1293

Quote from: LadyMarmalade on June 21, 2018, 09:45:37 AM
...Germany - but only because I really want to see them get properly beaten :)

We will do our best on Saturday. No bratwurst or potato salat until after game!!! :)