News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Diffrence between Banished on GoG and Steam with mods.

Started by DesoPL, June 05, 2018, 07:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesoPL

Is there any diffrence in game with mods on GoG and steam? I lately got offer from GoG.com to add Banished to gog, due i got it on steam.

smurphys7

I have both versions.  Assuming they are both fully patched there is no gameplay difference.  The only differences are the steam version tracks your achievements and can install mods via steam.

Goblin Girl

GOG games don't have DRM.  That's enough of a difference for me. YMMV and all that.

Voeille

Pardon my ignorance, but what do DRM and YMMV mean? I'm quite useless at acronyms.

Goblin Girl

DRM is Digital Rights Management.  It's essentially copy protection, but it can do other things too.  For example, Kindle books have DRM that can erase them from your device at any time, if amazon wishes.  I'm especially vigilant about avoiding the purchase of media that includes DRM because I think it's unethical.  I buy it, then it should be mine.  Same as with a print book.  I refuse to accept the concept of software as a service.  Sometimes I can't avoid it, as with Microsoft Windows (I'm still running Windows 7, though) or games I "must" play such as Skyrim or Fallout 4, which are only available via Steam.

And the other part of the reason I'm a fanatic about DRM is that before I retired, I was a librarian.  I purchased hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of music, software, DVDs and ebooks.  When you find DRM that limits a piece of software to five installs, it's worthless for library circulation.  Back in the early days of DRM, we got burned a few times.  There was a nasty thing Sony did to their music CDs: if you stuck the disk into your computer, it would install a rootkit (malware, essentially) to track everything you did from that point on.  DRM makes me put on my angry pants.

YMMV means Your Mileage May Vary. 

Hawk

Like @Goblin Girl , I avoid DRM stuff like the plague. I buy all my games at GoG.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Voeille