News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Trouble with forum

Started by a50, February 08, 2020, 12:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a50

Hi.  I love Banished, but I haven't been able to play it in awhile.  I added the Megamod8 today, and the game crashes once I have placed my first building and then click on another icon.  I never had any issues like this before.  Perhaps someone here can help me.

But, if not, I was trying to get back into https://www.blackliquidsoftware.com/forum/, but the site will not accept any change in password.  (I forgot my old password, so I had to request a code to get a new password.  I have received a password reset code [3 times now], but the site either crashes or doesn't respond when I enter those codes.)  I thought some of the members of this forum were also members of that one and could help communicate the issue.

Thank you.

a50

Thanks for your reply.  Perhaps Mega Mod 8 requires more RAM than my computer has....  It has 8gb of RAM, 64-bit operating system, I7 processor, 3.5 ghz.  I had the old Mega Mod 7 still installed in my game (although it was disabled).  I think that was causing some problems, so I removed it.  Then, I was able to play about 8 years before the game crashed.

Does anyone know the actual system requirements for Mega Mod 8?

Goblin Girl

You're a little low on RAM, but you should still be able to run it. I would think that your frame rate would make the game unplayable after about 500 population, it should be ok until then.

Do you have any other mods loaded?  Do the crashes seem to be associated with any particular building? 

Vimes

Perhaps try and play with no mods and just the std game. If that runs without issues for you then at least you can attribute your problem to the MM.

FWIW When I tested MM on a large map it used just less than 8GB of RAM on my PC.

a50

Quote from: Goblin Girl on February 09, 2020, 05:52:52 AM
You're a little low on RAM, but you should still be able to run it. I would think that your frame rate would make the game unplayable after about 500 population, it should be ok until then.
Do you have any other mods loaded?  Do the crashes seem to be associated with any particular building? 

Thanks.  I currently have only one other mod -- Catherdral.  The first times it was crashing, I had MM7 in my mod folder.  However, I had previously renamed the suffix.  However it still showed up in the mods list.  So, I disabled it when I enabled MM8.01.  It must have still been a problem, because the game was crashing generally when I hit the first or second building button.  It didn't seem to matter which button I pushed.

Then, I totally removed MM7.  As I said before, the game worked for a few years, but then just crashed seemingly out of nowhere.  I think I was just reading the description of one of the buildings at the time.

Quote from: Vimes on February 09, 2020, 08:30:17 AM
Perhaps try and play with no mods and just the std game. If that runs without issues for you then at least you can attribute your problem to the MM.
FWIW When I tested MM on a large map it used just less than 8GB of RAM on my PC.

I never had these problems before, even with MM7.  I was using a large map every time with MM8.01.  I will try a smaller one and see what happens.

galensgranny

Quote from: a50 on February 09, 2020, 09:01:07 AM
I currently have only one other mod -- Catherdral.  The first times it was crashing, I had MM7 in my mod folder.  However, I had previously renamed the suffix.  However it still showed up in the mods list.  So, I disabled it when I enabled MM8.01.  It must have still been a problem, because the game was crashing generally when I hit the first or second building button.  It didn't seem to matter which button I pushed.

Then, I totally removed MM7.  As I said before, the game worked for a few years, but then just crashed seemingly out of nowhere.  I think I was just reading the description of one of the buildings at the time.

If you mean you renamed the file name of the mod, then that would make problems.  The game would be looking for a building you select, but won't be able to find it if the file name is not correct.  All mods end in .pkm.   I think maybe having MM7 and MM8 at the same time could make a problem, even if you have one disabled.

theonlywanderer

You aren't low on RAM, that's ridiculous, and your CPU is more than adequate.   Some of the biggest games out there don't even use 8gb.     I fired up MM8.01 twice and it only hit 3.6gb of RAM the first time and 3.25gb the second time at the start of a very large map with graphics maxed out.       Truth be told, it shouldn't even use that much for what it is.  Banished simply isn't well optimized that's all.   You will have to play with the settings to see what it prefers for your system.   32bit or 64bit ....  directx 9 or directx 11.... full screen or windowed...  Resolution.... refresh rate, and of course the 5 texture settings.

You have a lot of combinations you can try to see what works best for your setup.

tuggistar

If you don't have enough memory for MM8.01, you can just increase the pagefile and that's it. I have it standing at about 16gb. I have a banished worth of mods MM8.01 and somewhere else 35 mods. Just starting up the banished will be a little longer and that's it. But you can speed up the start of banished by clicking the TAB Alt keys.

a50

Quote from: galensgranny on February 09, 2020, 11:19:47 AM

If you mean you renamed the file name of the mod, then that would make problems.  The game would be looking for a building you select, but won't be able to find it if the file name is not correct.  All mods end in .pkm.   I think maybe having MM7 and MM8 at the same time could make a problem, even if you have one disabled.

Yes, this is what I had done, but I removed the old MM7 rather than just diasbling it.  No longer did it crash when I hit some of the buttons, but MM8 crashed just a very few years into the game OR whenever I tried to reload a game.   So, I switched back to MM7

Quote from: theonlywanderer on February 10, 2020, 08:07:50 PM
You aren't low on RAM, that's ridiculous, and your CPU is more than adequate.   Some of the biggest games out there don't even use 8gb.     I fired up MM8.01 twice and it only hit 3.6gb of RAM the first time and 3.25gb the second time at the start of a very large map with graphics maxed out.       Truth be told, it shouldn't even use that much for what it is.  Banished simply isn't well optimized that's all.   You will have to play with the settings to see what it prefers for your system.   32bit or 64bit ....  directx 9 or directx 11.... full screen or windowed...  Resolution.... refresh rate, and of course the 5 texture settings.

You have a lot of combinations you can try to see what works best for your setup.

Thanks!  You have given me several options to try.  I had no idea that using 32bit would be optimal for any program since my computer is 64bit.  I've been playing MM7 for a few days with NO problems or glitches at all.

Quote from: tuggistar on February 11, 2020, 11:25:59 PM
If you don't have enough memory for MM8.01, you can just increase the pagefile and that's it. I have it standing at about 16gb. I have a banished worth of mods MM8.01 and somewhere else 35 mods. Just starting up the banished will be a little longer and that's it. But you can speed up the start of banished by clicking the TAB Alt keys.

I'm hoping to get back to MM8.01 very soon.  Just tonight, I increased the pagefile on my C drive, but I have a couple of questions.  Does this approach just use some of the hard drive's space as "virtual" RAM?  Should it be the hard drive on which my game is installed?

tuggistar

For a50
Pagefile should be desirable, not on the system C drive, but on any other. On C drive it is better to leave pagefile automatically. And change the pagefile to the value you want on any other.
Which value you put for a pagefile such pagefile will use.

theonlywanderer

@a50

Messing with pagefile isn't recommended if you aren't fully familiar with it.   Windows does just fine at managing that file all on it's own and being on C drive is absolutely fine.  And if you're wondering who to listen too, I've been a tech for 25 years.   What is being suggested will gain you nothing, especially on a PC with your specs.  But, if you set something wrong. it can cause issues and even slow things down.   Leave it alone as automatically managed.

tuggistar

For theonlywanderer.
theonlywanderer I am personally familiar with pagefile.
Just for the speed of the system, if there is little RAM, it is better to leave on the C drive at a minimum pagefile. And use pagefile as an additional RAM on another drive.
Personally, on the 755 Socket I have just so. Considering I only have a minimum RAM.

tuggistar

I have in Banished worth of mods MM8.01 and all the other mods from this site that are not included in MM8.01, which are made on 1.0.7 limit and flags.

tuggistar

Just a little advice which I have repeatedly heard from others, to avoid a crash in Banished, before installing new mods, clean up the registry editor in banished. So that there were no conflicts with old mods that were installed earlier and then removed.

And if you're not fully familiar with pagefile, it's best to put on automatically. I agree with "theonlywanderer" with that. I just said how I use pagefile.

a50

It sounds like cleaning up the registry would be good.  I searched the internet to see how to do that and it looks a bit more complicated than even adjusting the pagefile (which I have now gone back and returned to its original "automatic" state).  Is there some place on this forum that discusses the steps needed to clean the registry of items pertaining to Banished?