News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Do You Bother Planting Orchards?

Started by banisheduser, August 01, 2014, 09:25:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banisheduser

I sort of find planting orchards is useless unless you're making ale.
For food, you're better off with a 20x18 field surely?

solarscreen

@banisheduser welcome to WOB!

Orchards do have their issues and you could easily import fruit rather than grow it.  I think it comes down to wanting orchards for design and appearance reasons or just wanting to grow your own.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

irrelevant

I probably won't ever use them in the future, except to make something pretty.

RedKetchup

i mostly (98%) just importing fruits/nuts with merchants.

orchards need to be fixed. it takes 3 years before starting to get food, that, thats ok, but 2-3 years after you already starting to get 10%-80% chopped down and reseed, thats what it needs to be fixed cause that, the amount of food ridicously drop and looks extremly ugly. it makes it not worthy at all.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

solarscreen

Orchards should not go bad until 30 or 40 years after they mature.

It would be nice to have a good solid orchard to decorate the village with.

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

slink

At the beginning I planted orchards because they were there, then for a while I never planted them because I can trade for fruit and nuts using more dependable field crops for trade goods, and now I plant them for self-sufficiency and because they vary the texture of the colony.  But I only plant one type of fruit now, except in the vegetarian challenge when I planted one type of fruit and one type of nut.

rkelly17

I plant orchards for three reasons:

(1) Aesthetics--I like the look of a farm that includes orchards (I tend to shy away from monocrop farms)

(2) Food variety. I know, I know, they are only arrangements of electrons, but, still, I'd resent it if the lord and master of my universe only gave me one kind of fruit.  ;)

(3) Ale production

I prefer not to trade for food if I can help it, though I do to make up an annual deficit. I don't like not being able to specify which food I want to buy without ordering--and even with ordering it's a crap shoot if one is auto-trading.

irrelevant

If you're only ordering one kind of fruit, it isn't a crap shoot. You get what you order.

You need to have specific TPs for that though, so you can stock them with ale instead of firewood. Stock ale to autobuy fruit, firewood to autobuy everything else.

Unless you don't care. And sometimes you don't care, sometimes you just have that much firewood.

rkelly17

Quote from: irrelevant on August 01, 2014, 05:29:14 PM
If you're only ordering one kind of fruit, it isn't a crap shoot. You get what you order.

You need to have specific TPs for that though, so you can stock them with ale instead of firewood. Stock ale to autobuy fruit, firewood to autobuy everything else.

Unless you don't care. And sometimes you don't care, sometimes you just have that much firewood.

I could use some help on ordering alongside auto-trade, no doubt about it. First I have to get over my resentment at paying extra, but really none of you can help with that. What confuses me is this. In my trade settlement I needed a bit more leather than my cows and hunters were producing, so I set 4-5 TPs with orders for leather. Then I noticed that the resource or general goods merchants would bring me lots of leather but just sit there. My traders didn't buy any. So I thought, "I need to give them instructions to buy the (expletive deleted) leather--but in the auto-purchase window I could only tell them to buy "textiles," which I assume includes wool--which I did not need. With close to 40 TPs I wasn't checking closely, but the leather inventory went up so I assume it worked. My question: Is it possible to order X and get your traders to but X without buying Y and Z in the same category?

I only stock firewood early in the game when I need more seeds and the seed merchant will not take ale (Same may be true of livestock merchant, but I don't remember). After I have all the seeds I want I sell only ale, so the food merchant gives full value.

irrelevant

You have a choice with textiles, either you can place an order for the one you want to buy, and pay extra, or you can take what you get.

If you want only leather and get some wool, just keep the wool in the TP to use to buy leather  ;)

slink

Quote from: irrelevant on August 01, 2014, 07:14:55 PM
If you want only leather and get some wool, just keep the wool in the TP to use to buy leather  ;)

That sounds like a marvelous plan!  Set the wool to 9999, and the leather to 0.  Auto-buy textiles, using something else the first (few) time(s).  Problem solved.  I bet it works with fruit, too.  Drain off the fruit that you want, and pay for it with the other fruits.  Anybody want to test that?

RedKetchup

Quote from: slink on August 02, 2014, 04:45:23 AM

That sounds like a marvelous plan!  Set the wool to 9999, and the leather to 0.  Auto-buy textiles, using something else the first (few) time(s).  Problem solved.  I bet it works with fruit, too.  Drain off the fruit that you want, and pay for it with the other fruits.  Anybody want to test that?

euh if you ask your traders to go pickup 9999 wool, they will go empty your barns and markets till they have 9999 in stock stored
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Quote from: RedKetchup on August 02, 2014, 04:54:17 AM
Quote from: slink on August 02, 2014, 04:45:23 AM

euh if you ask your traders to go pickup 9999 wool, they will go empty your barns and markets till they have 9999 in stock stored

Only if you raise sheep.  ;)

Edit: replied in the wrong place

rkelly17

All this higher math is too much for my simple mind.  ;D

canis39

I plant orchards only for aesthetics. The actual yield is too small (and it takes too many years to start) to be much use otherwise.