News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

BRAD'S SETTLING OF AMERICA SERIES: OSSER #7

Started by brads3, January 11, 2018, 11:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

YEAR 5

our oldest female child is 11.we are a few years from needing houses.even as we have doubled population,there is room for 1 more child to be born.all except the teepee will  house 5 bannies.
      by keeping the firewod limit down,they have started to burn thatch.the laborers will colllect more this year now that they have a place to store it.they will try to find more herbs since the health has dropped to 2 stars.
      are you scared yet with the health so low?? well these bannies originally came over from holland.their grandparents had greenhouses and grew many things in them.these woodsman are smart enough to propagate strawberries so are their indian wives. why do i start with so many mods in the tool box,hmmm?
      since they dropped down to 2 laborers and 1 builder,clearing is slower. they did get thatch put away for the winter.
the indians were taught well and cleared the beaver lodge. they kept the pelts and game.by now there is also cranberries being gathered.the pine mod is paying off nicely.already, i had to raise the food limit.

so far no nomads have showed up. i usually use the mini TH and have luck with it. it normally gives small groups within 5 years and increases slowly to bigger groups.normally, it gives you a group every couple years.i do think there is a variable connected to the map code.some maps nomads show up more often,sometimes there is several years before the 1st group. i have seen large groups early,but that is rare.
       all nomad catchers are not the same. each is modded differently.some the nomads must walk all the way to the catcher before you see them.some will let you deny or accept them when the nomads are on the edge of the map.some will bring nomads every year.these differences are not all in the mod write-ups.some require a trading post and townhall,some work by themself. you have to experiment and find what works for you as we all play differently.
      i do think the delay on this map is caused by the access. there are rivers and streems blocking several areas of the map.the edge has a lot of hills and a pond as well.it doesn't surprise me to see a lack of nomads.it is only year 5. if there are no nomads by year 10 and i wanted them,i can build a bridge to the south.

pic 1: 5 yr stats,
pic 2: food graph,
pic 3:inventory of the houses shows they are using thatch
pic 4:strawberry greenhouse
pic 5 clearing thatch and herbs and foods.for now they try to leave the stones and iron ore.

brads3

YEAR 6 to 8

to increase our storage,a longhouse will be built this year.we do add some decorations near the indian huts.the little village is well stocked so there isn;t much to do.2 laborers do contingue to collect thatch and clear small areas to find herbs and food.even with a late spring,the fields have produced 672 each.the strawberry greenhouse is at 700.it is a quiet year.

the mini fishing dock is around 450 fish and the quickhunter is 800+ with moving him a couple times each year.i have seen years where he hit 1000.he is very handy wfor game starts,since it costs nothing to build.with the thatch, you do have to pick where you place him or clear the ground.here it worked well to push the leather up for the indian huts and teepee.if you get a food shotrtage,the hunter can boost the count by moving him around. he will work an area about double the size of its circle.i try  to move him in winter since it is easier to see the deer and spring. i also don't send him out to far. he has been across the bridge,north in the thatch meadow,and west to the ridge between the hills.

as soon as it warms up in spring,the workers start collecting more thatch.the builder is busy with verdant roads near the indian huts.with only 2 workers,all the thatch they clear is going to the houses.the farmers will work to clear thatch and foods around the village once snow falls.

year 8,we will build a house,since 1 male is 17 and Ayann will turn 15.with it a pine storage shed to store stone,iorn ore, and thatch.we have over 1500 venison and 50 leather, so we do consider a tower hunter as well.if i knew building a house would draw nomads,i would have built it a few years ago once the builder started the wigwam,3 nomads arrived.

good time to hit pause and grab a cup of coffee.also a good time to save the game.health still drops,though slower. we need grain.that would take a trading post.only thing to trade for now would be iron ore or stone.there is most likely 2 adults and 1 child.1 will work a thatch hut.the other will replace our hunter.that will give me 3 laborers for now.after the nomads have workplaces,another house will be needed. by then our 1st student will be graduating and i can decide what's next.this will make NILLA nervous cause i didn't mention boosting the food.

the bannies never want to play fair.the child was a 14yr old female and took the house to herself.i'll just have to build another wigwam beside it.as soon as the laborers have the 2nd house supplied,they will start clearing for a road.the pine storage is already completed.

the bannies will clear some patches and stock thatch and food up for the winter.having new people made the bannies feel better and health has improved.

pic 1: longhouse storage
pic 2:thatch hut,wigwams,and pine material shed.toolbar road options,grassy road set.
pic 3: the nomads in their houses.

Nilla

Me, nervous?? Hmm, maybe I should be for your poor settlers.  ;)

brads3

YEAR 9

Ayann still needs a house.a pine furrier hut is planned as well that can make pelt or fur coats.by keeping limits down.i have extra helpers to continue clearing or gathering.i am going to add the native indian trade more for looks and to use up some materials than for function. an 18 yr old male did move with the 15 yr old nomad girl.

i hope new players read these blogs now and then.i do throw info out for that reason now and then.you'll notice i didn't build a forester yet. i can clear fast enough not to need it.even at 3 laborers the bannies worked like there was more.as long as i don't send them too far out or clear late in winter,the farmers help and get back to thier fields.the thatch hut will work as a forester.where it was placed,has a good mix of stone,trees,and thatch growth.as more thatch is planted,stones and logs will be collected.small amounts but this village is also using thatch to heat their homes.the thatch will allow herbs and food to grow,whereas fodder will not.this gives you options to experiment with.add a trapper,a gatherer,an herbalist ??which will give you the most or which do you need ? some flexability.

the native trader has been adjusted when the modular mod was made.the amounts needed to trade are lower. however,it doesn't trade out indian goods. it uses ale and muskets,goods from the fort.the arrowheads are not needed to build anything.for input the only useful items are food.it isn't going to help these mountain men and indians at all.

now that our population is starting to grow,more food will be needed.a field for potates is being cleared and a lean-to storage added. Ayann took became the pelt tailor so i will bump the clothing limit up a click.it won't take her long and she will switch to fur coats.

pic 1 thatch forester outputs.note the roots and herbs just above the housing toolbar.those are PILGRIM's colonial houses.

pic 2: the CC native trader<inputs on left,out goods on right in  parethesis>. the pine fur tailor behind it.
storage toolbar showing SLINK's small market set

pic 3:lean to and new field. toolbar is city services,cemetaries and some of the many churches.the 2 crown icons are castles.

brads3

YEAR 10

in 10 years,the population has grown by 14 to 33.that with only adding 3 houses since the initial constrcution.
they are well educated.health is recovering as they have find more fruit.they do lack grain.firewood is low,since the bannies have restocked their houses.they like to do that after the long cold winters.the little village has slowly expanded to the west.

a trapper is planned near the meadow. that will keep our tailor busy.the meadow is a good spot for rabbits and foxes.soon as that is finished,the laborers will clear along the road and the trader.then they will spread out to gather more thatch.with the blacksmith and tailors helping, it won't take long to get thatch built up.if no nomads show up by fall,the banies will cross the bridge and work out farther collecting food and thatch both.there is plenty of space for thatch in the longhouse.

pic 1:10yr stats ,toolbar CC food processors
pic 2: production, CC mines and quarries
pic 3: inventory,CC production icon textiles
pic 4:food graph, luxury toolbar
pic 5: pine trapper already finding furs and eggs, CC theme sets,quay set

i wonder if RED has seen enough toolbars yet? there is a lot of options.some aren't used often but are packaged with parts that are.it is a good way to show off the different mods.

Nilla

It looks like I don't need to be nervous this time. The food graph; a school book example. ;)

brads3

YEAR 11

we start the year better stocked.as the bannies had more time they were able to gather more thatch to burn before winter.there is a pair of 15 yr old students.do we build a house now or wait a year? when will the nomads arrive? we don't have enough goods for a trading post.there isn't anything we really need.the bannies do decide to add an old barn for storage between the village and the meadow.
       we have 2 more laborers now.our students graduated at 15.we hold off abit in case nomads showed up and then built a hut. a FO.gatherer and a small workplace beekeeper will work the edge of the meadow.this will give me a chance to see how well KIDs's gatherer works with NECORA's pine mod items.

now each year i have sent the laborers to do some spot clearing.as the main pile gets below 80%,they stock it up.you have seen me list storage issues before. even though the 2 pine storages will store logs,thatch,and stone,i am being careful.the pine storages store more items and will keep space for items i don't have.so they will not fully fill up or use all the space available.even with more barns storing thatch,i don't want to overfill the pile with iron ore and stone.also some of the buildings in my toolbox don't fit the indian mountain theme as much as they would a growing colonial town.the thathc to the north grows back. that is a good spot to find herbs and food as well.

pic 1: old barn,
pic 2: FO. gatherer,CC theme set,fort walls

brads3

YEAR 12

no there isn't enough tools. i always find myself looking for something that isn't here.this morning i wanted a medium market or storage that would hold logs,stone,and food but fit this village style. had an idea to use it across the bridge.nothing fit quite like i wanted or would take 2 buildings.
     for now i decide to access the land to the south. a wooden dock bridge will fit these bannies well.hopefully it is high enough for the merchant boats.the bannies were so quick at building the bridge, i had them add a pine market on the southside.they can add a railing to the bridge to keep the children from falling off as well.

i do want to point out a couple things since not everyone uses the same mods and might not understand how they work. the tower hunter isn't locked to a radius circle. what he hunts each year is random and not affected by the terrain,trees,or anything else.totally different than the vanilla hunters.it won't produce leather every year but will give you a variety of meats.it will give furs. all randomly decided by the tower itself.this gives a lot of options as to where to place it. it can be used on the edge of a town without lowering the outputs.here it can hunt the meadow and the forest equally. even works with fodder meadows where nothing else willl grow.
     for now the thatcher hut is still clearing and planting thatch. as he does that he acts as a forerster in harvesting logs. he doesn't collect food or herbs.so it doesn't comply with NECORA's gathering system or ability.the FO gatherer doesn't either.i was curious if it would or not since KID updated the mod to use thatch.
      NECORA's gathering system does affect some workers.it doesn't change everyone equally though.the trapper walks by roots and fiddleheads.laboers will collect eggs and pelts instead of just trashing things as they clear land.foresters are known to clear traps as well.it is a neat change to the vanilla or old way.more items are kept or collected instead of wasted.even without the trapper,traps and beaver lodges appear all over the map.the laborers have brought in cranberries,chanterelles,and fiddleheads.some players might find the trapper outputs to be low,but that is partly determined by placement.also the furs have a higher trade value.to me it adds some realism to the game. the bannies find a variety of items in different amounts year to year. they are also less wasteful when they do come across things.a forester walking by a sprung trap doesn't ignore it he takes the rabbit.laborers don't just bulldoze land,they are more careful.

pic 1: dock bridge and pine market.
pic 2:outputs of the meadow workers.NECORA's gatherers and foresters toolbar.

brads3

YEAR 13-14

there isn't much to do.most barns are at 1/3rd to half full.the bannies built a couple benches and cleared more to the south.during the winter the bannies decided to add another pile so they can clear around the village next year.they also made more tools to use some stone up.

as soon as it warmed up and the farmers returned to their fields,the laborers started clearing.they extended the village road north to the river.the blacksmith got sick with TB.he then infected several of the students at the school
     as the sickness began to spread,2 strangers rode in to town on horses.they were out exploring 1 day and had gotten lost.luckily an indian village found them and took them in for the winter.by now they were quite frustrated as they could not find their way forward or backwards.they were lost again.the wife claimed she could heal the TB with herbs and steam. they offered to stay at least until everyone was well again.
     an FO. cabin and sauna would be built across the south bridge.this will isolate the sick from the village.  a small pasture for the horses will also be needed.the construction took time as the illness spread to our laborers.before winter, Nickie had everyone feeling better and nobobdy had died from it.

pic 1: late winter
pic 2: FO healing sauna and cabin,ghosted animal decoration toolbar

brads3

YEAR 15

after everyone was recovered from the disease,we took time to get to know more about the 2 lost strangers.Ferny and nickie had decided to travel since they had no children.Ferny's goal was to start a horse ranch. he had hopes of a son to pass it down to.they had tended horses at the landing fort a couple years before being sent out with wagon trains and new settlers.they helped several towns get established.pver the years,Nickie had not become pregnant.now that she is 44,they have about gave up hope.they have had enough of adventures and just want a quiet place to call home.

they carried 2 things of value with them.of value to Osser at least. 2 small bags of grain that they used to feed the horses. 1 of corn and 1 of barley.they did make us a good offer.Nickie will grow herbs and tend to the sick.Ferny will plant the barley and work at building his horse ranch.if wer help with construction,they will share the barley crops with us.
      by late spring the barley was planted and Nickie was planting herbs.work started on a fodder hut for the hay to keep the horses warm through the winters.by fall the builder was still busy. there was a new couple who needed a house.Nickie and Ferny had taken to them and let them build near the pasture.they will help move goods back and forth across the river.
     once the barley was harvested,Ferny switched over to work the fodder.there is a lot of rocks and trees to be cleared for make room for the grass to grow.as the new couple moved into their FO cabin,Nickie finally had a baby.just before her 45th brirthday,she gave birth to a daughter.it seems the lost  strangers have found a good home.

pic 1: herb grower and barley field added, CC theme set,dock set toolbar. note the dock buildings don't require them to be built over water.the herb grower can be used on flat ground anywhere.,so can the houses,school, and barns.does give you some flexability.

pic 2: fodder hut and storage,RED's fodder toolbar
pic 3: Nettina.
pic 4: 15 yr food graph

Nilla

You can be proud of that food graph. But I'm a bit concerned about the health. How do they eat? You have herbs but do you also have an herbalist?

brads3

the health does bounce between 1 and a half to 2 stars.we have fruit but lack grain.the barley isn't enough nor moved enough yet.the dock herb grower should act as a herbalist.if we have sickness, we can staff the healing sauna again. it will work out though.stay tuned.

brads3

YEAR 16

Nell decided to take over for Ferny at the fodder hut in the spring.he will clear trees and stone for the grass while Ferny tends to the barley.with all the tree cutting,we need to start planting new trees soon.as soon as Dashad graduates he will plant apple and maple trees.the forest is planned to the southeast.his graduation was saddened by the death of our blacksmith during child birth. the 1st death of the village.his new wife will brew mead from the extra honey.
      since we are low on leather but stocked on pelts,the workplace tailor stops for the year, but we increase our clothing limit.

pic  1: maple forest,cabin,and pine storage
pic : workplace brewer,shed,and extending the road.

brads3

YEAR 17-18

i have to consider starting a mormon community.there are several girls 15 and 16,but our oldest male is 10.seems we have a case of Nillness.they remember being told that many male births is a sign of a coming war,so hopefully females is a sign of prosperity. they are quite content and enjoyng the peacefulness.
       one stayed to help raise her sister after her mother died.1 became a farmer.the rest are 2+years from graduating.so it isn't an issue yet.
        with the extra time the laborers can clear up around the village and some brush along the forest road.with the pine storages, there is plenty of space for materials.they work fast enough to begin work on the huge rockpile to the south.

i never said these mountain-indian bannies were religeous.it seems 1 boy has made some rounds as the girl who stayed home to help her father had a baby.in some cultures there would be rumors and gossiping.here,noone questioned how,when,or who got her pregnant.the townsfolk were sad when she lost her mother and happy when she gave birth.tis the way life is in the mountains.
     as such the laborers headed out in spring of year 18 to build a new home for the next 16yr old girl.without warning,a 14 yr old decides to quit school early and move into the new house.the men shake their heads and begin work on another hut.as they did they tried to figure out what her plans were and what work she wanted to do.must have been a squabble cause she kicked the older girl off her field and took over being a farmer.

these villages do tend to write their own stories and have their own craziness to them.right as work began on the 2nd hut,7 nomads arrived.2 families with 1 small male child of 5.2 houses,a hunter for the forest,and a trading since the barley has done well,we will add a greenhouse for it at the village.it will be a busy year.
      it is also a very sad year. Ferny died soon afer Nickie,now 47, gave birth to a son. a tree fell on him while he was clearing for the fodder meadow.luckily he had taught others about horses and growing the grain and grass.Nickie took over working the fodder alone to contiue Ferny's dream for her son.
      by mid-autumn,work began on the old town trading post.the nomads took over all 3 houses,a cabin,tent,and native hut.
Doshiko will have stay with her parents another winter. we doubled our firewood to 400,and sent our leather tailor back to producing coats.hopefully the pine hunter will bring in enough leather for new huts.the barley field to the south still had no cover. it produced over 300 before the fall frost.the bannies work all winter to get the trading post built.

pic 1:barley greenhouse,more indian huts
pic 2: hunter and cabin,
pic 3: old town trading post

brads3

YEAR 19

we sent 200 iron ore and 200 mead to the trading post.1000 peppers and 1000 fish will be sent. hopefully we can trade for different food.to help move items,a vendor is sent to the village pine market.this will help give the meadows and forest more storage space.
     the bannies enclose the south barley field.it can now produce grain all year.there is enough leather to build a hut for Doshiko.we also add another FO school closer to the meadow.to honour Fern,the bannies want to build a stable barn for the horses.
     Doshiko is so picky that she refuses to move.we have tried 3 types of houses already.a wigwam will make 4.strike 4. she is told that that she will have to go across the river and work with the horses.either carrying water or shoveling manure.it actually seemed like she took to the idea.she did help carry materials for the new cabin.when it was finished she laughed and ran back home again.by now there are 5 females living alone.even though she refused to move,the bannies sent her to the stables to clean up manure.

pic 1:fodder mod horse stable.

pic 2: EB water collector.note i still have an issue with irrigation systems in the mod order.NECORA's dig tools didn't get the ground deep enough.i faked and used an NMT canal build then remove.that dug the ground deeper so the water connects to the river.

pic 3:single females housed everywhere except Doshiko.she refused to move.