News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Interesting time limits set.

Started by ertira, May 30, 2014, 08:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ertira

Oh my,
       After multiple attempts to get added as a member, I must really be getting old, finally got in. Whew.  I read a post concerning Difficulty Levels that I found interesting and was busy writing a reply on my steps to build my initial start.  After about 61 minutes of very careful spelling, formatting and proofreading it was gone in an instant. Wow. Something to kind of return me to my lurker stage. Yes there is an allow to stay logged flag. Thought that would apply to those individuals not actively typing or using a feature, like preview.  :) Oh my.
        Lurker it is.
        Great forum though, will enjoy learning.

nmid

Ouch.. yea, that's hit me a number of times.

I've come to copy a whole post before I press enter.

Then I realised firefox saves a post and the entire page when you press submit.
If you press back on the browser, you'll go back to the edit page with the full text..
Though it doesn't work if the browser crashes...

So I continued to copy the whole text before posting again.

Then I lost my text when I did a minor copy-paste by mistake .. @$@$
So I copy paste the text into a temporary notepad file before I post.

Till the next post that disappears...

mariesalias

I learned to always save (ctrl-C) any long-ish posts before hitting submit years ago. I do it habitually now and don't even notie doing it most of the time any more.  IMO, pretty much a good habit for anyone who posts on forums regularly.

I am sorry you had so many issues @ertia! Welcome to the forum, I hope you will change you mind and decide to post also. :)

Kaldir

Welcome to the forum @ertira. I hope we will see some carefully written posts from you in the near future.

I had big trouble getting registered as well, but that was mostly because I tried to do it while cooking dinner, and there really are a lot of ways to mistype a country's name, which was the human testing question. Guess I'm only slightly human.

I loose a post now and then too, either because of what you describe, but also when accidentally hitting a bookmark or refresh button with my finger on the iPad screen. Like @mariesalias and @nmid I copy my text before submitting and even now and then while writing, and I write longer replies in a text editor first.

slink

There would have been entire years in my life when I was too busy to know where the latest airliner crash occurred.  *laughs*

solarscreen

@ertira , it can be a bit tough in the beginning with the authentication bit for the first three posts but after that, you are not spam so have at it! Although, I would recommend that if you are going to write for an hour before posting, you might want to compose offline in a word processor and then cut and paste! 

Thanks for joining us and don't stay a lurker for long!
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

Admin

@ertira , at the login at the top of the forum, there is a dropdown that lets you decide if you want your session to last for 1 hour or 1 day or 1 week or 1 month or 1 year or forever. 

Try longer!  Thanks for joining!

salamander

feelotraveller

I try to save any longish/complicated posts to notepad as I go, and certainly before hitting the post button.

Also a couple of years ago after losing one too many posts to a misclicked key during composition I hunted down a tweak on the web which added the ability to control-z for undo to the post reply for windows.  Unfortunately I can't provide a link but the ability to do so does exist if anyone is keen enough to hunt it down.   (I think firefox has rightclick U for undo natively?)  8)

As to missing airliners I guessed that it was probably that one, but I really was guessing...

salamander

Quote from: feelotraveller on May 31, 2014, 09:00:46 AM
As to missing airliners I guessed that it was probably that one, but I really was guessing...

I'm still lost on that one, but I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.

EDIT: Just saw the new authentication announcement, so I get it now.  Yea, I'm a little slow.

Demonocracy

Oh, you poor thing @ertira !

I'm so sorry that happened to you.  As you can see from all the replies, this has happened to all of us so many times that we've found ways to get around it.

I do hope that you'll not remain discouraged because we would all love your insight as well!  You see, when you begin to post your knowledge and share your experience, other lurkers read it and someday also decide to take a chance on a new place.  The more we have contributing, the more everyone gains.  It's a wonderful relationship!

Welcome to the forums, and I hope to see you around. : )