News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

About happiness!

Started by Nilla, September 14, 2016, 08:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

I´m sure, this has been discussed before in various threads, but I decided to make a new. By accident, I made some new investigations lately about happiness. I showed a lot of screenshots under the thread "tiny thoughts". I looked a little more into it and I will make a small summery about what I THINK of happiness.

1. People are born happy!

2. What makes them unhappy?
In a normal game ONLY the death of a family member. Family member is someone who lives in the same house.

The cause of death have different effect. Death because of old age always makes the family unhappy. Other causes of death always makes the children unhappy, the partners sometimes. (I will investigate this more some time)

3. Could they recover?
The ONLY THING that prevents them from staying unhappy the rest of their lives is a graveyard. Young children whose parents died, recover happiness, if they move out from home early. I don't know if anything else influences this recovery. (I might study this some time, too)

4. What about..... ale, churches, buildings with a happiness radius/unhappiness radius, food, herbs, clothing, tools..........
In a normal game. These things has NO influence on happiness.

5. I wrote about other things in that other thread, didn't I , so what crap am I writing here?
There is another, very rare kind of unhappiness, that never occurs in a normal game, at least, I have never seen it and I tried yesterday evening to trigger it, withot success.

If you play a game with the Nordic mod, impossible start, people have nothing from start; no food, no clothes, no tools. This makes them unhappy! It gets gradually in a regular way, until it reaches ½ star.

But in a normal game they don't stay unhappy long.
- As soon as they got a coat, they become happy.
- If they don't get a coat but get a baby, they get happy.
- Students who finish school get happy, even if they never saw a coat or a tool in their lives
- Children, even 60 year old spinsters and bachelors, who moves to a place of their own get happy

It is a full recovery from ½ to 5 stars. It gets gradually in the same speed as the happiness drops. Than, they stay happy all their lives (or at least until someone close dies).

A various things have a small influence on this kind of happiness. If they get none of the things above, alcohol, a lot of different food, membership in a church, if a homeless family gets a house make them happy. Here I'm talking about ½ - 1 star improvement. Together they might have a larger effect.

6. What about buildings with a happines radius?

I have seen no effect on any kind of happiness. People go there to idle, but I haven't seen anyone getting happier by that. As I built the church with a big happiness radius. I'm sure everyone lived inside it. There was absolutely nothing to be seen, the graph was flat, until I assigned a priest, than there was a small but significant improvement.

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for your summary. It looks to me as if you had unmasked a half-baked happiness system. ;)

Nilla

I think you're right with the half- baked system. I think, a way more complex (and interesting) happiness system was planned, but for some reason was reduced to deaths/graveyards. Maybe he ran out of time or into some kind of other problems, where he saw no solution.

We together just discovered a little rest. You; making your impossible start, me; being observant and curious.

Trizeropz

RedKetchup

so , the way to make it harder is ... boost the death randomness ? ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 14, 2016, 11:13:52 AM
so , the way to make it harder is ... boost the death randomness ? ^^

Not neccessarily; these random deaths sometimes makes people unhappy, sometime not. Besides; happiness has such a small influence on the gameplay, that it doesn´t make much difference, if they are happy or unhappy; a few % difference in productivity between ½ and 5 stars, not more.

Pangaea

Excellent research @Nilla :)

As slight support for your finding, I noticed in my town that happiness had got a little down, to 4 stars, when the city was fairly big, so the graveyard couldn't contain everybody. A deathwave later, population is smaller, there are many free grave plots, and happiness has gradually increased to 5 stars.

Everything else appears to be the same, they don't miss food, tools or clothes. But if they don't have a gravesite to visit, their happiness plummets. Get enough people like that, and overall happiness will decrease too.

Nilla

Yes, and if you don´t build many houses and there´s many old people, many of them have elder children living at home. And if a parent dies, and ther´s no graveyard, they will stay unhappy their whole life. I didn´t investigate this now, but if I remember right, it´s not even sure that they recover full, even with a graveyard. I might be wrong; but husband/wife recovers full with a graveyard, children to 3 stars if they are not very young. But as I said I´m not 100% sure.

Pangaea

Here is how it looks like in my game. Happiness goes up and down, a sine wave, fairly similar to the population curve.

I have maybe 450 graves, but that's not enough when the population boosts to 1400-1500.

Gatherer

Which means a necropolis that can hold hundreds of graves is much needed. Is that possible?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Pangaea

In my map? Yeah, can easily fit that in there, but I kinda like to just watch these things go bouncy-bouncy  ;D I'm just waiting for year 200, and will then start a new map. It does show how important graves are, though. However, given the relative limp impact of low happiness, if you are lacking in space, it's perfectly fine to run a town without a single grave. Toss them on the barbecue and heat your home instead  :o