News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forum Multi-Challenge #1: Valley of Death

Started by solarscreen, June 01, 2014, 12:31:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

Here comes the first forum multi-challenge!
A multi-challenge means there are multiple winners for declared categories.

Categories for this challenge:
Best Looking
Most People
Most map area used
Best In Show

These wins are based on forum member votes!
You will need to post screencaps of your entire map and include a Town Hall overview.

Settings for the map and a screencap of the starting point with overhead popup are included in the attachments.

This map will be played until Summer of Year 50.  Post your results at that point.
The deadline for submission is Friday the 13th, midnight GMT/UTC.  Poll threads will be posted for voting.

Good luck and have fun!

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

mariesalias

Am I just missing the attachments somehow? Or are they placed somewhere else?

solarscreen

Quote from: mariesalias on June 02, 2014, 10:08:48 AM
Am I just missing the attachments somehow? Or are they placed somewhere else?

You are correct, the attachments are not there.  :o

Ok, will fix that later today!

Thanks for posting on that.

solarscreen

rkelly17

Hmmm. A town named "Valley of Death" on seed 666. Why am I thinking we might see a lots of kids named Demon and Hell?

Speaking of which, when I was a kid and we were driving from from California to Colorado Springs we took US Highway 666 north from Route 66 to go through Shiprock NM and Mesa Verde. I'm told it has a different number now.  :'(

mariesalias

Fifty years is not as long as I thought it was! I'm already halfway through that but not halfway through what I wanted to achieve. I had to come back on the forum before I went to bed to make sure I was remembering the end year correctly. I may have to change my strategy. I look forward to seeing what others do with this map/challenge!

slink

What I did with it was start it, and then dump it to a save in autumn of year two to go back to marketplace challenge.  Everyone was growing up stupid, there still weren't enough houses, and I was always out of building materials.  I hate starting on hard.   :P

mariesalias

I am used to starting on hard because I get annoyed with the barn placement. I do end up with a few (usually 4-6) people uneducated, but I try to make sure they end up in jobs where it does not impact production.

I have been playing the death valley challenge to take a break from the marketplace challenge, which has me a little stressed because while playing I feel like it is a house of cards that is all going to collapse at any moment!

I am debating starting over this challenge though. I really don't see how I can meet my goals currently. Maybe start over with new goals? :D

RedKetchup

i started 1st this Valley of death... but i made a pause to try the market one...

but not sure i ll finish in time, need to post the saves .. today or tommorow ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Bobbi

ooooh no. I was thinking I had until Saturday for Circle challenge. I will never get done in time. That would be 8PM tomorrow on EST. I will try, but I have "life" that interferes with the game tonight.

rkelly17

@slink, in the beginning when I started on hard I promptly killed everybody. Cold or starvation, either way I killed them all. Then I watched the first couple of videos in "Crossroads Series" by pinstar on YouTube and he gave me a method whereby I could get going and make it through without killing anybody. Not everyone agrees with pinstar's methods (our friend BaldJim over on the Shining Rock forum is not a fan, for example), but he provided me a way forward such that I now prefer hard because of the freedom it gives. It does not work on every map. Your start position needs to be close to a flat area that is at least the size of a hunters' circle which you can use for hunting, gathering and forestry. One of the maps it works on is @solarscreen's Valley of Death 666 map, so I'm off to a good start on that challenge--and without the pall of impending mass death that hangs over my market circle town.

If you don't care for YouTube videos, here's the basics: Pause the game. Site the initial village with the Gatherer as your key building. Pick a circle that has enough trees that the gatherers will find food right off (does not work well on a treeless plain). Then site the forester, hunter and woodcutter in a "crossroads" plan with the gatherer and forester right across the road from each other (see attached picture) and the woodcutter and hunter in the direction of your future market. next to the woodcutter in the direction of the market put a 6X6 storage yard and next to the hunter in the same direction put a barn. Set 1 person to builder (for the roads) and leave the rest as laborers. Now, before you start the game, pause all the buildings and mark a bunch of close--but outside your largest circle--timber for harvest. This is so that you start with building materials and some for firewood. Start the game and wait until you have just over 250 logs in storage (I often go to 265-275). Pause the game quickly. Use the cancel removal tool to unmark all the trees left. Unpause the barn and set 3 more builders (total of 4) for the barn and leave the rest as laborers. This is so food producers don't have to run all the way back to the wagon to store food. Mark the stone closest to the building sites for harvest. Unpause the game and watch the barn. As soon as the barn foundations are laid pause the game again. Unpause the gatherers' hut and change 3 more to builders. Let the few laborers left continue to work on stone and mark more if and when they finish what you already marked. When the barn is finished unpause the hunting lodge. When the gathers' hut is finished designate at least 1 gatherer and unpause the foresters' cabin. When the hunters' lodge is finished designate at least 1 hunter and site your first house. The houses are on the three arms of the cross where the barn and storage yard aren't and are snug up against the gatherer, hunter and forester buildings. At this point you only need 4 builders and you can set the others as laborers, gathers or hunters depending on what is going on with food. When the foresters' lodge is finished designate 1 forester and set the building to plant only--no cutting yet. At this point you should offer sacrifices to The Great God RNG in hopes that some of the kids age up and you get a new worker or two. Continue building houses until you have 6, two on each of 3 arms of the crossroads. As the second last house finishes put those builders to work at what is needed most.

When the last house finishes pause the game. Put the last 2 builders to work at whatever is needed, but for sure think about harvesting resources. You'll need logs for firewood and logs, stone and iron for the next step. In clearing stones and iron remember that one goal is to get all stone and iron out of the village circles for maximum trees. Before you unpause check the log. Find the youngest kid who entered the village and the first kid born in the village. Open their windows and keep them open as your inspiration to build a school ASAP. The goal is to get that school built before the first kid in the village turns 10, but if you can get the youngest kid who came with the banished settlers, all the better. Now run a road toward the edge of the circles (usually at this point the hunters' circle is the outer boundary). Just past the edge of the circle mark a crossing road. This is your marker that you will never build on the forest village side of that road (well, at least you intend never to build etc.). At that crossing, on the future market side, site your blacksmith, tailor and school with a storage yard behind the blacksmith. By this time you'll be running close to the end of the tools, so the blacksmith needs to be built ASAP. This takes a lot of material, so once again you make sacrifices to The Great God RNG and plead for your laborers (probably 2 or 3 at the most) to gather logs stone and iron quickly. If RNG smiles on you it will be Summer and you can take your woodcutter off duty for a season to help. Usually for me it's the middle of Winter, though, so I must offend RNG badly. Anyway, as soon as the blacksmith is finished put someone to work making tools. By this time you may have 1 or 2 people without a new tool. Don't panic, just get that blacksmith working and make sure you have logs and iron. At this point I diverge from pinstar's approach. He builds the tailor next, but I build the school next. The citizens are less efficient with ragged clothes since they go get warm more often, but the long term benefit to production from education seems worth it to me. The school also takes fewer resources than the tailor. The drawback: Citizens go to school at 10 rather than becoming laborers. Thus you wait longer for new additions to your labor force. At any rate, build the school and tailor as resources are available. When finished you can switch the blacksmith and tailor to other jobs as they finish enough product to hold the citizens for awhile, then put them back to work as needed. Meanwhile, has your planting forester filled the circle with trees? If so, you can turn on cutting. Ramp up the various work sites as people become available and start moving on to market, trading post, fishing dock, etc. The market circle may well include much of the forest village, but there will be other market circles in the years ahead that will include more non-reserved land. Often these builds will be built with less than the maximum number of builders. Build houses in the non-forest part of the market circle as eligible partners become available. Firewood is the original trade commodity, so as you get close to building the trading post give the woodcutter a max of 500-700 so you can build up a surplus.

It isn't nearly as complicated as it sounds. So far I have never lost anyone to starvation or freezing using this. After about 40-50 citizens you may need to think about a second forest village to keep up production of firewood to maintain a surplus for trade, but that village does not have to be the same as the original.

Hope this has been helpful. It got me beyond exclusive reliance on easy starts.

solarscreen

@RedKetchup and @Bobbi and everyone else.

This challenge DOES NOT END until NEXT friday!  the 13th!

You have plenty of time!

Bobbi

It is the Circle challenge I fear I will not be able to fish. I think it is roughly half full, but having log supply and food issues that prevent growing as fast as I would like. Technically this should be in the other thread. The 666 challenge I have not started. I agree with Demonocracy's suggestion that two weeks would be more doable. I just don't have enough time to play (sob)

slink

@rkelly17: Easy starts are worse for me than medium starts, but not as bad as hard starts.  Medium starts are the only ones where I can get my school built before some child turns ten years old, without paying a penalty.  With hard starts, I have to harvest wood and stone and iron first, plus build food-producing buildings because I have no field crops to sustain the colony until I can build other food sources.  With easy starts I have six houses clogging up the cleared region near the barn, and livestock to provide for, plus all the couples start dropping babies immediately which means more immediate demand on the food supply than either of the other two.

I did get the accomplishments that required either a hard start or no education, but I didn't enjoy getting them.  ;)

Bobbi

I also now prefer med start to all else. I used to start on easy because of the livestock, and always picked a seed with sheep. But I hated the house cluster. Hard is same as @rkelly17 said, can't get the school up in time to prevent uneducated. I did the uneducated challenge and truly detest them now. It was sooooo frustrating. Also the "accept 200 nomads" was awful. I loves me some edjumacation. On medium I got some nice seeds to start, don't have to stress out about getting the trader up so soon, time to get my school built if I jump on it pretty quick, and the only drawback is sometimes I have to destroy the barn after a few years because it is in the way of how I want my layout.