News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mahnogard - Burleysbury (and whatever comes next)

Started by Mahnogard, October 09, 2014, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnogard

It was working, just not the way I wanted it to. :D I'm sure most of the problem was more in my head than in Burleysbury, but once it started bugging me... I got fixated on the market stock levels, checking them constantly.

It probably has a lot to do with me not being fully recovered from the head cold I was fighting all week, and lost sleep due to loud thunderstorms three nights in a row, right at my bedtime to keep me awake. My brain is challenged by pretty much anything at the moment. I've been playing Disciples 3: Reincarnation (or Rebirth, because apparently it has two names, and it's the third Disciples 3 - which I guess makes it the 5th Disciples? I still haven't figured that out) and I keep doing hilariously stupid things like starting fights I can't possibly win. Fortunately there's an autosave before each battle. RETREAT! RETREAT! :D

Mahnogard

I gotta say, I love that we can change thread titles here. Most forums require enlisting the help of a moderator for that.

I decided to start a town, Winfields, using the same map as Malloy Flats. If one is using Neckcen's Map Generator, the settings are:

10743744 (which is Pete Malloy's serial # and badge # - I'm an Adam-12 fan)
Plains
Large
Mild / Off / Medium

I really like that map. (I tried the same seed with Valleys and it wasn't good - plops you in between a mountain and a river. I don't like building bridges right off the bat.)

So I'm having fun again. My new town is about to start farming soon. The first town square is almost totally laid out but not fully built yet - lots of buildings on pause. Will probably construct the market in one more year, once the first harvest is in. Have one trading post, but considering a second to speed up seed acquisition. This map starts with potato, pumpkin, and plum. Managed to trade for peach seeds just before going to bed last night so all my initial crops will start with "p".

Will post a screenie when I have something nice to look at. :)

Nilla

Quote from: Mahnogard on October 12, 2014, 09:41:38 AM

So I'm having fun again.

Will post a screenie when I have something nice to look at. :)

I am happy to heat that and I am looking forward to see these screens and hear more about your thoughts as your settlement grows :)

Pangaea

Mahnogard

Screenies! I'm not going to write descriptions, as it's mostly sightseeing. :) The first one shows my year 21 data, and the shots were taken within the following year. I had 13 builders at that time because I'd just finished planting a bunch of trees from RedKetchup's Decorative Items Mod. Other mods seen include Sawmill, Library, Creamery, Apiary, and Llama Pastures, among others. Also have RedKetchup's little chapels but I don't think I had any built at that time.

I've been rejecting nomads so far. Some of them can be seen leaving town in the last screenshot.

Mahnogard

After playing more than 200 hours, I just figured out that I can change the camera angle. My next batch of screenies should be slightly improved. :D

Nilla

Here, on we go with more questions  :-[

These stones you use for squares? Which mod is that?
I like the colour, but not the texture so much, looks a bit like concrete.

Mahnogard

Questions are good!  I like questions. Especially when I have answers. :) The mod is Color Tile Road Mod: http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/71-Color-Tile-Road-Mod

The color I'm using is the only one I really like, though there's also a shade of blue that's kind of nice if used in small amounts. All the others in it are too bright for me. I agree about the texture, but I still like it better than the default stone roads. I always thought they looked too... institutional? Like the stone houses.

You can see some of the other colors in use in my Malloy Flats screenshots in this post: http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=538.msg8035#msg8035

irrelevant

I think I'll have to start a new blog just to get more questions from @Nilla  :D

Nilla

@Yes, please do. I promise i will keep on asking annoying questions! ;)

Mahnogard

Updated screenshots! Yes, some of them are just new shots of the same things as last time, but if you recall, I finally learned how to change the camera angle so I couldn't help myself. :D

These were taken last night, so I'm a bit past that stage of development now. I've been clearing the area around the third market, and I had to hold food production down for a bit to allow my storage to equalize. With the expansion and the food surplus, the poor vendors were working over time. Got past that, and started some new farms, build a couple more pastures (I do love my pastures) and added a second mine.

I also hit what I refer to as the "Year 40 Panic" a few years early. Right around year 40 is when I usually have a burst where the number of families suddenly outnumbers houses by way more than it did the year before. Managed properly, there's no problem, but it's sooooo hard to resist the temptation to build a bunch of houses. This time it hit around year 34. I'm trying to handle it just by keeping an eye on the children & student numbers, and building enough houses to keep a very gradual upward trend for consistent growth and replacement rather than a baby boom. It seems to be working so far.

And it's really nice to finally be at the point where you have enough laborers that clearing land is fun to watch and gets done fast.

irrelevant

Beautiful shots, especially the first one! A very nice-looking town.

It would be helpful if you would include some UI panels, particularly the jump map in each screenie, and the Town Hall plus the General stats at least once per post.

How's the Irrelevant Tweak Crop working out for you? I've never known anyone else to use it.

Mahnogard

Thanks!

Oh, I thought I had the panels up for one of the overview shots, because I usually do but I guess I got ahead of myself. Oops! :D I'll get one during the next round, along with the pop graph so we can see if I'm failing at population management.

The crop tweak is nice. For someone who does a lot of farming (I do, always, farms and pastures everywhere) the effects are noticeable, though subtle. Makes harvest time less chaotic and I spend a lot less time nervously looking at the dropping temperatures.

I have another town I'm occasionally working on, called Hell. See, I got this idea that they decided to name their new settlement after one who died on the journey, and that name has always cracked me up when it shows up in game. And it fits - I'm playing a Tiny map from the map mod I use. We're talking postage-stamp size, especially for someone who's used to playing on big maps like I usually do. It's just barely gotten started, only a few years old. I probably won't post any for it until I fill up the map, which won't take long once I get going. Oh, I have disasters turned on for that one. I never do that. Trying new things, I guess. :D

irrelevant

Thanks for the feedback, noticeable but subtle was exactly what I was aiming at. Thanks, @RedKetchup, for this mod!

Hell sounds really interesting  ;); look forward to seeing it.  ;D

Nilla

it is interesting with that tiny map. I tried one mod with tiny maps a while ago (I have a special love for the small maps ;) ) but it crashed several times and as long as I had the mod installed, other maps crashed, too.

I really hope it is improved! (or maybe it is another mod). I will try it when my single-worker-game is over. (game over ----- he he, I suppose that will be exactly what will happen in that game)