News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Less rain

Started by Kaldir, May 31, 2014, 01:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonocracy

@rkelly17

I do, in fact, live in Portland, Oregon. : )

@salamander

I know what you mean about endless gray.  It's my understanding that while Seattle gets more rain, Portland has fewer sunny days.  I've also spent a number of years living on the Oregon/California border coast where they have only one season pretty much all year round.  (And it's the gray season!)

salamander

@Demonocracy -- I lived in Corvallis for ~6 years.  If you're in Portland, I'm incredibly jealous.  When I retire, my wife's already said we're moving back to the PNW -- no arguments.

Demonocracy

@salamander

I've been through Corvallis and lived in Eugene for a number of years.  I prefer Portland to both though.  Well, minus the traffic.  For our population, our traffic is just awful.

gatinho65

Okay, heads might explode, but I LOVE the cool, rainy, drizzly, cloudy/mixed/variable days of old Seattle. I mean old, because with climate change, we are getting what used to be late July/August weather in May already. Spring is my favorite time and this year summer has been going for a month and its just early June. That means endless days of mowers, blowers, weed wackers, tree grinders, industrial noise as people love to disturb the air with their stupid tools as they brutalize their environment. I live carless in a dense inner city neighborhood, not too many lawns or shrubbery so there isn't much to maintain to begin with, yet some of my neighbors seem to just crave their almost daily multi-hour sessions of blowing around dust and mowing the scraggly grass in the median strips that is already brown from heat and lack of rain. I'd rather enjoy the mandatory open windows for birdsong and breezes, but no, summer to me is just heat and noise. I can't wait for rainy fall weather already lol!

And I say that as someone who spent many years living in deserts and the tropics. I'd never have guessed how adapted I've become to cool and grey and drizzle, I just love it. I am outside more here than I ever was in 'perfect' sunny southern CA. (Okay, that's because there are so many places to be outside here, where CA is just about endless hours in cars and finding parking at stripmalls, ugh...)

Rant over. I LOVE the sounds in Banished. Since my wine version won't play the music, all I get are the ambient noises, somehow I never get tired of them. The rain does mean I don't plan anything during those times because I can't see much, but that is when I love to follow people close up as they wander my forested villages, its just so beautiful.

I can't get over how gorgeous the game really is down on the ground, I almost resent having to resurface my meandering to zoom out again to maintain vigilance so nobody starves, things get built, newlyweds move out, all the stuff that takes attention. I'd rather be a gatherer wandering around with baskets of mushrooms and onions lol;)

But back to mods: I'd really like to see a tropical version of Banished, with monsoons and dry seasons, the appropriate food crops and domestic beasts, different trees to harvest and goodies to hunt and gather. It can only imagine how beautiful it would be if done to the same standard. I don't know anything about who/how the graphics were done, but I hope they would do the job, or point to the third party software used to create other climatic versions and additions.

rkelly17

Tropical sounds interesting, but it couldn't be Amazonia. The piranhas would eat the chickens when they walk across the river bottom.  ;D

Kaldir

You mean the chickens that trample herders, cannot beat the piranhas?

rkelly17

Maybe that explains it: Revenge of the Undead Chickens.

salamander

New SciFi Movie -- MegaChicken.  Guaranteed to knock MegaPiranha out of first place.