News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theonlywanderer

@Tom Sawyer

I gave it another shot, but something about this 7 is completely off.

I had 4 fishing spots, a barley farm and the sheep pasture going and seemed like I still didn't have enough food to even supply the 6 people producing the food.  If a fisherman can't even produce enough food even for themselves, what is the point?   Have all the production numbers been lowered to practically nothing or what?

Plus, there are barely any deer running around to hunt.   There might be one herd at the start, but then not another herd for an entire year or more that comes anywhere near the village.   It's weird.

Seems like this 7 is setup for some extremely drawn out really long term game play or something.  If that's the case, putting the aging back to vanilla is just going to make it worse trying to have enough of anything.

I don't know...  we'll see.   I can take it or leave at this point.   Seems like a great overall revision, but so far just unplayable for my style.

Nilla

I tried the "Speed Ageing" too and found it very difficult; it was playable but stressful. I think the North is adapted to the calmer real-time ageing. Normally, I´m certainly no real-time player. I simply find it slow and boring but in the North, it works well for me since you can grow with immigration and have time to build up the more complex chains and all these stores you need for the heavy food.

But I don´t think any of the food producers you mentioned @theonlywanderer have been changed from the North 6; as far as I´ve noticed, the fisher gives the same, the barley is not heavier or grows different but OK; the deer have been fewer but you must be extremely unlucky when they totally disappear after the first year.

I´ll show you a picture of my real-time game and one from the Ironman. Both on "seafarer" and "mild" climate.

First picture
Speed Ageing; year 19, 86 adults, 38 children

It´s not often my towns run of out tools, but this one did. You can also see that there is food enough but only barely enough. One of the toughest game I´ve played in a long time. Right after it, I played "Ironman" without "Speed Ageing", also on a seafarer map. It was easier.

Second picture
Ironman, without speed ageing; year 32, 33 adults 17 children

We almost have the same store of food for less than half of the people and there´s no tool crisis.

Edit; Sorry, forgot the pictures

Tom Sawyer

Yes, food outputs have not much changed in North 7. Only some adjustments like reducing raw meat by 20% while smoking it brings now more food (+50% vs 33% in North 6). Some crops are even buffed, especially grains. Barley for example has now 24 - 32 from 4 tiles. In North 6 it was 21 - 28.

There are not that many big herds of reindeer anymore but still 4 herds with up to 30 animals on a small map plus all the smaller groups. In total still more animals than in a vanilla game. Hunting seemed quite overpowered in version 6 and getting people more into farming was an idea.

Fishing is completely unchanged and a fisherman usually produces about 400 trout at a spot. It increases with happiness and with a storage shed near by of course. If it's not enough food for themselves then it sounds as they were fishing without tools or it was very far away from home.

I think North 7 is not really more difficult than version 6, at least not by numbers. Maybe something else makes your game weird @theonlywanderer and we should look at some screenshots to figure out.

theonlywanderer

I wasn't using the fishing pier yet, just the fishing spots as well as hunting spots, not the cabin.

I started another round and this time I threw down 3 crop fields straight away and that helped.

I than assigned 3 hunters and started a blood fest any time animals were close by.   Stocked up enough food to get through the first winter.  By the time the next winter came, crops were in full swing.   I had more animals coming around this time.

Again, I think it's more my style of play that needs adjusting.   I had to rethink everything when I went for the all acheivments in one map challenge and that's part of the fun of the game figuring things out.  I just wanted to know up front if things were changed drastically enough that I would have to commit to certain style of play.   I really don't like the real time aging at all, it just drags things out forever.

So, for now I figured things out and off to a much better start.    Now I need to click through all the game pieces and setup a reference sheet so I know what all is available, what does what, and what materials are needed to build things.   I like your WIKI, but easier to set something up that I can refer to locally.    Maybe print those pages as PDF's.

theonlywanderer

@Tom Sawyer

Making headway and seeing a few issues.   Something is weird with the dig for clay option, it says 0% remaining really quick yet they seem to keep working there.

Issue with the fishing pier... seems they couldn't reach it even though it was built and so no fishing was going on for quite sometime before I noticed.  Not sure what why that occurred.    I demolished and rebuilt it and it was working.  I may have been able to just build a dirt road to the pier to flatten that part out and make it functional, but my first reaction was to demolish and rebuild.

I'm really not liking the forestry cabin needing glass and you need glass to build the glassworks so you have to rely on trading to get the initial glass.   Forestry is a fairly critical job and it's quite the handicap waiting for glass to show up.  We're talking about a bunch of people well capable of working outdoors, they shouldn't need glass to start planting trees.

Tom Sawyer

The wiki pages I'm updating these days and will finish next week I think. I also try to get more details into overview tables to make researching easier.

If you come to the North with strategies in mind for getting all achievements on a vanilla map it's probably better to format your brain first. ;D

theonlywanderer

@Tom Sawyer

LOL!   Nope, no plans to try that.   I didn't think achievements worked in modded games anyway.

The last round was going much better except I ended up with a crappy layout while learning all the pieces so I'm starting over again.

Tom Sawyer

I meant if you come from a vanilla map hunting for that all in one achievement thing and then start up North, you need to forget all the tactics you are used to. Special achievements in the mod would be too nice to be possible. I tried it some time ago via toolbar features but failed at modkit limitations. Another idea is to do something off-game via website but useless with all those unblockable cheat mods everywhere.

CookieBarrel

@Tom Sawyer,
North 7 has an odd bug. Children become selectable through the Labour select arrow in the professional window.
Once this happens labourers begin to act like children (ie.. no work is done).
It seems to happen when a random child is born.
I couldn't identify a cause, such as doors blocked etc..
Also, it seems to correct itself, only to manifest again later.

Map: Low lands, Farmer, large, fair, disasters on. No other mods.

Tom Sawyer

@CookieBarrel That sounds indeed odd. I tried to reproduce it in a game waiting for childbirth and clicked through all laborers via this select button in profession window but everything is fine. Also, I doubt it's connected with the mod since we can not change anything at this select mechanic or how laborers work.

CookieBarrel

@Tom Sawyer
  After posting I had been thinking, if Nilla didn't catch this, then it might be on my side of things.
So, re-downloaded the mod and tested, same thing. Now, after your post, I'll need too dig deeper, re-install clean Reg. blah blah blah.

Thanks for the reply and your nordic vision.

Nilla

As you understand, I haven´t seen that bug, not in the North and not in another game. Is this just on one map or does it happen in all games? I have seen different weird bugs and sometimes it looks like they are connected to certain maps. For example; from the beginning of Banished there´s a bug that makes the merchants turn back to the end of the map in the direction where they came from. As they reach the end of the map they realize their mistake, turn again and pass the trading port a second time without stopping. It has no influence on the gameplay, only it´s more likely that this map also has other weird bugs. I´ve seen that several times.

CookieBarrel

Hi Nilla,
This bug of mine is definitely not caused by the North.

I did a simple test, loaded Banished with no mods and started a new game. Once loaded I made all labourers into builders, then clicked on the labours arrow repeatedly.
Instead of giving me nothing but the audible click, it started to go through the children Ui.

After, that I uninstalled Banished, cleared all files and cleaned the registry. Reloaded thru Steam and repeated the test.
Well, it still does it. I'll Just have to live with it.

As far as the slow down of the labor I experienced could have been from Banished normal little oddities.

Thank you for replying.
Getting confirmation where problems may lay helps.

Anyways, back to the North for more starving fun. Oh, is there a way to get the adults to eat these kids ;D

Tom Sawyer

From your last post I was able to reproduce. As you write it's caused by clicking the select button more than once if you have 0 laborers. Then the game starts going through children. If there are > 0 laborers it works properly. It happens with and without mods, so it's a bug of the core game. I guess not a major one where we can say.. here Luke please fix and give us this and that in addition. ;D

Tom Sawyer

People on WOB love separated buildings, right? I just uploaded the Wooden Chapel as a single mod if you are interested. Fully compatible with CC, MM, RK, DS, KD and everything. :)