News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Summerset Swamp - Story 24

Started by Abandoned, June 09, 2018, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

Quote from: galensgranny on June 11, 2018, 10:53:51 PM
Is there a swamp monster?   It seems like there might be.   I don't suppose there really could be one in the game.

Those mushroom trees are fun.  Can you eat them?
I like the buildings.  Do they have an alternative roof?

with these 2 ,you never know what they might come up with. now i am scared.

kid1293

Quote from: brads3 on June 12, 2018, 03:11:21 AM
with these 2 ,you never know what they might come up with. now i am scared.

I'll be scared if you mix this with The North...  ::)

Abandoned

:D Be afraid, be very afraid  ;D

@galensgranny the Shroom trees are not edible, they are free to place deco trees.  They look great with Forest Deep mushroom houses. 

There is no roof alternative, the mossy roof matches the shack in Houses for Sale mod (not used in this story) and also those in Gothic Farm.  The mod can also be used in valley or mountain, a mossy forest setting, not just in the swamp

@Nilla and @brads3  I hope you enjoy the story  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 3

By late summer of year 2 we had enough leather to make some much needed leather coats, we only had 17 left in stock.  The workshop switched from making iron tools to making hide coats.  The cooler damp weather of early autumn had folks heading for the storage barn for the new coats.  It was then that many of us heard a load splash.  It was damp and the air was thick with humidity so it was hard to tell just where the sound came from.  Some thought the sound was made by a jumping fish.  Renald, who was now the fisherman, said it would have had to have been a pretty big fish.  He caught a lot of fish so far this year but nothing near the size it would take to make that big of a splash and besides as far as he could tell, the swamp waters were pretty shallow.  Others thought perhaps a tree had fallen over and hit the water but, Burgeon, who was acting as forester over by the big mother tree near the hunting hideout, said we would see a tree that size sticking out of the shallow waters near shore.  It appeared that the loud splash would remain a mystery.

With new hide coats and more stone roads, we set out to collect as much wild foods and herbs as we could find.  Another storage shed was constructed for quick drop offs.  We would have thought there would be more wild foods and herbs in this warm climate but the lush growth of the trees and reeds must be inhibiting their growth.  We did occasionally find some wild flax so perhaps next summer we would have cooler linen clothing.

In early spring of year 3, Herschelliot, the farmer, said there were quite a few deer and swamp chickens by the new bean field he was planting.  Another hunting hideout would provide us with more leather and down that we badly needed.  Problem was we also needed workers.  It would be a few more years before the first student finished his schooling.

The wild foods may not be thriving here but our mushroom crop sure was.  This was the ideal climate for them apparently.  Herschelliot's wife, Hann, was still harvesting mushrooms in winter. It was only 39 degrees with a cold rain falling.  Good thing we had our first warm leather and down coats that winter of year 3. 

LadyMarmalade

Wow...the mushrooms really DID like the climate! How big was the field to get over 2000 mushrooms?
I am not a Gamer because I don't have a life but because I choose to have many.

rkelly17

Quote from: LadyMarmalade on June 12, 2018, 10:51:53 AM
Wow...the mushrooms really DID like the climate! How big was the field to get over 2000 mushrooms?

Given the size of those giant mushrooms I see, wouldn't it take just one of those to give 2000 units?  ;D

galensgranny

Are those mushrooms in the field from this mod, or did we always have a way to grow mushrooms, perhaps from some other mod? 

Your way of having the world map and then the different towns with distinct looks and what they do mainly there is a great idea.  That will help me not try to put all the modded homes I like somehow to work in one area, which doesn't really look good.

kid1293

Hi. Those mushrooms are vanilla mushrooms added as crop. Due to numbers
in vanilla files I can not change any value or you will hardly find any in forest.
In a way it is a unvoluntary cheat but it fits the swamp.

Yes, I posted a small mushroom mod somewhere in forum long ago.
I honestly don't know if I left it there or the discussion made me remove it...

You want it again, tell me.

galensgranny

Yes, @kid1293 , I would like the mushroom growing mod. 

Abandoned

Regarding mushroom crop, Kid made original with good harvest back in story #11 Lakeland here -

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1547.0

It is one of the 3 starting crops on Easy Swamp start setting.  Do not use separate crop above with this mod.

The field is 8x10, that was the best harvest total from that field, 1800 - 2000 mushrooms average.

galensgranny

Thanks for the direction to the link to Kid's mushroom crop in your story #11, Abandoned!

Abandoned

:) your welcome

It probably would not be a good idea to use it with CC which I believe has mushrooms.  Also this mod with the reeds and start conditions may have problems when used with other mods with spawners and start conditions, terrains, and climates.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Abandoned on June 12, 2018, 01:06:54 PM
The field is 8x10, that was the best harvest total from that field, 1800 - 2000 mushrooms average.

the crop numbers are

int _lowCreateCount = 20;
   int _highCreateCount = 28;
   int _createChance = 4;

and the wild food number are

int _lowCreateCount = 16;
   int _highCreateCount = 22;
   int _createChance = 1;

as you can see, usually crop numbers are usually higher than the wild food but the problem here is not really the numbers of each drop but the create chance.
while wild food you get a drop each mushroom harvested, usually the crop, you get 1 drop every 4 plants harvested. so if you take the raw material mushroom file and put it inside a crop, you get almost 4X more mushrooms. it is same with all wild food inside a crop, blueberries... onion... roots....

the thing is if you change the createchance number , it will also impact the numbers from gatherers, they will need to harvest 4 mushrooms in the wood before to get a drop.

that line is extremly misplaced in the game code, and should been never put inside the raw material file but inside the "building" that create and trigger that raw material.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Abandoned

:) oops, correction, the fields are 8x12

Thanks for the information @RedKetchup

All the wild crops are not available in the swamp and those that are are few because of the number of reeds.  An added challenge to surviving in the swamp  :)

Abandoned

Chapter 4

Year 4 was off to a good start.  In spring, 5 swamp dwellers arrived in town.  The family of 4 said they would prefer to stay on their house boat but the young man, Frencere, wanted a real house and hopefully a wife.  He would have a little while to wait for that. The oldest girl in town, Norinda, was only 7 years old and had just started school.

The newcomers told us a lot about the swamp.  The swampy area was quite large with major rivers bordering all four sides and several minor rivers running through it.  We could see a riverboat merchant from time to time if we built a trading post.  As far as they knew there were no pirates in the swamp but to the west there has been some trouble with pirates near Monkstown and Haunted Hollow in the past. The lakes and ponds were indeed quite shallow and being close to the coastal waters to the east contained shellfish like oysters, clams, mussels, and scallops.  The swamp weeds were delicious and nutritious, just like seaweed or spinach.  The newcomers confirmed that there were plenty of fish in the swamp waters but they knew nothing about any large jumping fish.  They did seem to know something they weren't telling us but we let it go for the time being. 

We build a shellfishery along the shore near the town hall and thought we would give the swamp weeds a try.  Our corn, bean, and mushroom harvests were good again that year and as soon as the harvests were complete, we went in search of wild foods and herbs, again finding fewer than we would have liked.  We wondered if we would need a trading post at some point in the future if for nothing else but herbs, or maybe stone.  The stone was some distance from the roads which made it very difficult to transport and we needed the stone to built the roads.  It was suggested that we build more jetties and bridges to get across to the resources but many of us were a bit leery of the swamp waters, especially after that unexplained splash.

At the end of year 4 our stone supply was low and our workforce was small.  The population of Summerset was 31, 17 adults, 4 students, and 10 young children.