News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

New Grains

Started by solarscreen, May 26, 2014, 06:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatinho65

I think the additions should fit in with the general climate of Banished, which means that things like lavender are probably not for this version, lovely as they are. However, there are some very pretty cold climate crops we could add.

Definitely barley and hops, even if they were ugly, they should be in the game!

Flax, beautiful and used to make linen; weaver could be a new profession, woven clothing a new trade item.

Field poppies, definitely beautiful, yes add them.

Kale, collards, both big chunky appealing shapes that would look great in the game.

Buckwheat, very beautiful and tasty.

And if we are mixing hemispheres, why not add quinoa and amaranth? Suitable for cold climates, very attractive and nutritious, full proteins so could add health as much as livestock.

solarscreen

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

gatinho65

Ha, that was hilarious;) He's the guy who does that hot pocket routine, I loved that. No wonder he hates kale! I eat greens of all kinds, grow them too, I think they taste pretty faboo, but it does matter how you prepare them. I guess some people have eaten them boiled and soggy, like terrible school cafeteria spinach. Braising them with onions, tons of garlic, peppers, bacon, vinegar and honey, mmmmm that is mighty tasty.

rkelly17

Lavender might work in the mild or fair Banished climates. Here in Southern Ontario for many years there was a major tobacco growing section, though they did have to start the plants in greenhouses and set them out after frost. The last 20 years the province and feds have been trying to get farmers to switch to other crops, but some is still grown. I think the issue for something like lavender in Banished would be the end use. At present there isn't much space for a non-food crop. Maybe medicinal herbs to replace the herbalist? Maybe you could collect the animal manure and compost it to grow mushrooms? Of course that wouldn't have the same aesthetic appeal as lavender.

salamander

I have enjoyed, and am still enjoying, this thread, but I think @rkelly17 cut to the chase.  It's the end use of the crop/resource that could influence whether something is ultimately included in the game, whether by Luke or by a modder.  I like the idea of lot of the things mentioned in this thread for practical and/or aesthetic purposes, but I think it's unlikely that someone will spend his/her time adding something to the game if it duplicates the end use of something already included.

That doesn't mean that wishful thinking isn't fun, though.  :)

gatinho65

Good point about the end use of lavender, unless it was used by the herbalist to make essential oils or something. Add a soap maker? Useful product locally and for trade.

I actually think a good place to start with mods is components that slot right into existing structures. Adding crops or animals seems easiest and an opportunity for a lot of fun. Its just about knowing the formats of the existing ones, how to find/create models and textures (and animations?) for the different seasons, then putting them into the .fbx format so they fit into the game. At least from what I'm gathering trying to catch up on some reading about what people hope for or expect. Adding bees  and beekeepers, or soapmakers, or weavers, seems more complicated. Perhaps that is what modders want to spend time on, but for those of us not skilled enough to create actual changes/complexity to game play, creating a new crop would be challenging enough.

I'm amazed they can grow lavender so far north, although if you get hot continental summers, that might be why. Its just that you would definitely have to overwinter them inside, which seems rather insane. I know of no cultivar that could take such cold winter temps. And I have no experience with an annual approach to lavender, if there are any types that would actually produce much in only season.

Greenhouses in Banished seems a bit high tech, although compost heated greenhouses would fit in; you could grow citrus that way too. Mmmm.

Since I'm a huge pickle maker and eater, I think mustard and cucumbers should be added, plus they would look cool. Mustard is beautiful in the field, cucumbers are another big chunky plant.

Poppies and hemp should be made into mods, the drug paranoia of current cultures notwithstanding. They are useful for the herbalist and tailor and for trade, plus poppies are pretty spectacular. I'd sure use them. I mean in the game hehe;)

RedKetchup

hehe yeah cucumbers ^^ there is a ton of vegs ... turnips , watermelons ... cant remember them all^^

edit : carrots ? bets ? ^^
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

tomplum68

rice needs a lot of water to grow which is why it is grown in flooded paddies.  rye would be a good grain to add as it was actually more common for the poor to have rye bread than wheat bread.  sunflower seeds can be baked and eaten.  and definitely beets should be added, they were another common food of the poor

rkelly17

Quote from: tomplum68 on July 07, 2014, 05:37:52 AM
. . . rye would be a good grain to add . . . .

Rye. Hmmm. If we had both corn and rye, someone could mod a distillery and we could make both Kentucky and Canadian whiskey. Then all we would need is barley for Scotch aficionados and the whole booze-making end of the game would fall into place quite nicely. Oh, and hops, too, to improve the ale made.

Modders, are you ready to accept an assignment when the kit comes out?

Fellow Villager

boys...but olive oil? why not?  ;D

solarscreen

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 07, 2014, 07:27:02 AM
Quote from: tomplum68 on July 07, 2014, 05:37:52 AM
. . . rye would be a good grain to add . . . .

Rye. Hmmm. If we had both corn and rye, someone could mod a distillery and we could make both Kentucky and Canadian whiskey. Then all we would need is barley for Scotch aficionados and the whole booze-making end of the game would fall into place quite nicely. Oh, and hops, too, to improve the ale made.

Modders, are you ready to accept an assignment when the kit comes out?

The scotch makers will need to wait 2 to 4 years for the bourbon makers to sell their used barrels to them to use for the scotch. :)

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

rkelly17

Quote from: solarscreen on July 24, 2014, 07:22:11 PM
The scotch makers will need to wait 2 to 4 years for the bourbon makers to sell their used barrels to them to use for the scotch. :)

Waterloo is the place where the Seagram family started their distilling empire--the family sold out years ago and the original distillery was closed and the equipment moved to Panama about 15-20 years back. But when it was active locals would buy recently used barrels and fill them with cheap vodka, let the whiskey soak from the wood into the vodka and drink the results. I never took to the practice myself, but I had friends who always had a barrel or two on the go.

slink

My favorite Scotch, which is no longer made, was aged in port barrels.

Paeng

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 07, 2014, 07:27:02 AMIf we had both corn and rye, someone could mod a distillery

Yep... though my assignment would rather be an Agave plantation... plus the matching distilleries, of course  ;D
[i]Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn[/i]
[color=teal][size=8pt]Editor's Choice [b]here[/b][/size][/color]

rkelly17

Quote from: Paeng on July 26, 2014, 04:42:23 AM
Quote from: rkelly17 on July 07, 2014, 07:27:02 AMIf we had both corn and rye, someone could mod a distillery

Yep... though my assignment would rather be an Agave plantation... plus the matching distilleries, of course  ;D

A fine idea, though first you'd need to mod the whole terrain as desert--but you're up for that, right?