News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Abandoned - Riverview Resort - Story 17

Started by Abandoned, July 30, 2017, 01:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

Intro

This is the 17th story in the Smallville series and tells the tale of a young couple who set off alone to follow a dream.  They left Smallville shortly after the 12th expedition and actually settled in the exact spot where that expedition made camp before heading east to establish Bloomington.

This map is #999995918  Valley-Dry, Small, Mild, disasters Off, Solo Start (Adam & Eve)

Starting & Map Changing Mods:  Call of Nature Soundtrack, Banished UI Mod & Maps, Labor Window, RK Minimized Status, New Maps, New Flora with Gatherer,  Multiple Starts.

Tweak Mods:  Better Fields, Hunting Season, Longer Living Orchards, One More Wood, Stone, & Iron, 1:1 Aging, Rocks Respawn.

Major or Must Have Mods:  An Empty Square, Smallville sign, Kid-Alotofseeds Trader, Forest Outpost, Stone House Addon, Tiny Separate, & Work Place.

Supporting Mods:  NMT3.Pond, Brads Smoking Shed, Deco Sunflower, EB Sunflower, Fenceless Pasture, Kid-Deco Plants, House Boat, Market Food, Storage Carts, & Yard Cover, RK Creamery Cows, Sample White Chicken, Storage Crates, Water and Other Decorations.

Warning to male readers:  This is a romantic musical.   :D

Suggested Mood Music  for this Intro:  "Follow That Dream" by Elvis,  "Tie Your Dreams to Mine" by Marty Robbins, "Follow Me" by John Denver, and "I Will Follow Him" by Little Peggy March".  (Sound clip and downloads available on Amazon digital music.)

Yes, weary traveler, we were very young and very different.  We were both left alone and displaced by floods when we met in Smallville.  He came from a big town and I came from a small farm.  My family was very close, I was an only child.  His father was a river boatman who was rarely home, his mother worked hard to raise and provide for him and his siblings.  He had a dream to built a town in a convenient place where riverboat families could get together for rest and relaxation.  Hard-working Smallvillians scoffed at such an idea, some thought it crazy, no one wanted to form an expedition for such a purpose.   He was unhappy when yet another expedition was preparing to leave.  I said he should not give up his dream.  He said he was thinking of leaving.  That made me unhappy but I said he should follow his dream.  He said I should follow it with him.  I said I would follow him.

Abandoned

Mood Music for Chapter 1 :  "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" correctly spelled from My Fair Lady movie soundtrack and "In the Misty Moonlight" by Jerry Wallace.

Chapter 1

My name is Livian and my husband is Glennon but you can just call us  Glen and Livi.  Well, it didn't take us long back in Smallville to load a wagon with supplies.  There wasn't much to take since an expedition had just left.  We had no seeds or seedlings and little of anything else except potatoes.  We headed south along the creek that was once the main river and when we finally came out of the highland pass Glen built a sign to mark the way back to Smallville.  There was a large herd of deer grazing on wild oats that were growing nearby.  We could see a river in the distance.  We camped in the clearing and decided this is where we would stay.  We named our town Riverview.

We set to work immediately gathering wild foods and building materials before dark.  We sat side-by-side "in the misty moonlight by the flickering firelight" and discussed our plans for the future.  I said "all I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air", he said he "could be happy in one little room with only a table and chair" as long as I was there. Yes, weary traveler, it was very romantic and he called me "darling".

We worked together on most things, we made a great team, and before long we had our one little room home built.  A hunter's stand and other tiny workplaces were built.  When we weren't together he knew where to find me.  As I did back in Smallville, I would climb the nearest hill, away from the town and the people, and look out at the distant view.  It was peaceful as can be.  When he came to find me we would often watch the sunset or stay later to gaze at the stars.  He made me promise that when winter came I would stay close to home.

Abandoned

Mood Music: "A Lover's Concerto" by The Toys, "You And Me And Rain On The Roof" by the Lovin' Spoonful,  "My Love" by Petula Clark, and "I Wanna Love My Life Away" by Gene Pitney.

Chapter 2

I got my wish for someone to take good care of me that winter.  I was expecting our first child.  I delayed telling Glen as long as I could for fear he would want me to go back to Smallville.  I told him right after the first snow in late autumn.  As expected, he was delighted but worried that we were out here alone.  Our daughter, Inellar, daddy's little girl, was born in early spring of year 2.

We were very happy those first years and continued to work together on some things but separately on others.  Back in Smallville we learned many of wise Nordic woman's teachings like educated workers should make the tools and clothes, so every chance we got we made iron tools, hide coats, and linen clothes from the pretty blue flax flowers we collected.  We often stopped what we were doing to gather resources and wild foods, especially the wild oats.  Glen stopped what he was doing to build protective coverings over our workplaces.

There were many resources across the small stream so we built a wood bridge.  There was not as much surface stone and iron as we could have hoped for.  It was hard work collecting what we needed.  On those days Glen often cooked our supper coming up with different combinations of ingredients sometimes stewed, sometimes roasted.  After supper when Inellar was asleep, we often sat outside watching lightning bugs and listening to the crickets chirping.  Sometimes we talked about future plans and sometimes he just held me in his arms.

In early winter of year 3 our son Osbornell was born. 

We began building a small storage barn in late winter and in the summer of year 4 we found other uses for it on rainy afternoons when the children were napping.  Sometimes we talked.  We talked about building a trading post.  We had often seen riverboats from the top of the hill and knew if we had a port they would surely stop and perhaps spread the word that a settlement was here.  We were beginning to realize our dream was not likely to come true on our own.  We needed help.  We also needed to figure out what goods we had to trade.  I thought we needed a town hall to better keep a record of what items we had in our storage crates and cart, and that shed.  During year 5, we built a town hall.

Abandoned

Mood Music: "A Summer Song" by Chad & Jeremy, "Separate Ways" by Elvis, "Until It's Time For You To Go" by Elvis,  "If You go Away" by Neil Diamond, and "This Woman and This Man" by Clay Walker.

Chapter 3

In spring of year 6, Glen discovered a beautiful little pond.  We hadn't ventured far into the thick forest to the east of town but we needed logs and after several day of tree cutting, Glen spotted the pond.  He surprised me with a fish dinner that was simply delicious.  That summer we taught the children to swim in the pond and we ran through the woods and "we laughed and played like in a game", like we did back in Smallville as children.  It was a beautiful summer, but.

"They say that all good things must end someday" and end they did.  Glen said we should start thinking about moving back to Smallville.  Inellar would be 5 this year and next year she should start school.  Education was important to him, he would not allow his children to be uneducated.  I said I could teach them but he said I had too much to do already.  I said I would not allow him to give up his dream, I would take the children and go.  He agreed and said obviously we were "just not right for each other" and there was "nothing left to do but go our separate ways."  How could he say that?  He spent more time fishing and I spent more time up on the hill.  We were both miserable at the thought of parting.

And then one day from the hilltop I thought I saw people across the river, and then they were gone. But it gave us hope.  Things were still strained between us and even though nothing  was said about whether I would stay or go, I built a small outdoor schoolroom and Inellar became the first student. The following year, year 8, Glenn built a bridge across the river. 

kid1293

Thanks for sharing this. I never realized how hard the game is on Adam & Eve.

Abandoned

@kid1293 This is the first time playing Adam & Eve, I thought this couple was actually do quite well until I saw the years passing and no nomads, a complication I didn't expect. I thought it would be slow going at first but on their own I don't think they would get a resort built in their lifetime.  Bloomington built their canal in 10 years time.  But isn't the music nice.  :)

brads3

playing at 1:1 and no nomads at all? bannies will live 70-80 years depending on the version.if you don't build the school, the 1st batch of "helpers" is by year 10. even uneducated workers will help build stocks faster than you use them with so few bannies.if you do want growth,the mini townhall will solve that.

Abandoned

@brads3 with 1:1 aging the children start work or school at age 6 and finish school at age 12.  Certainly wanted nomads and since nomads uneducated wanted these children educated for sure.  Year 2 built bridge and nomad lamp post, no nomads, later another lamp post and bridge, no nomads, then the tiny nomad well, still no nomads.  Figured the problem was number of nomads was based on population - no population no nomads.   The couple actually doing well on their own, crates and storage sheds full, buildings built, but a whole resort? I suppose I could have moved them to a bigger house but the solution to their problem is coming soon.  Sorry, I will keep you in suspense again.  :)

brads3

i think nomads depends on map draw and sometimes you get a bad draw for sure. i have seen it with the tiny TH also. when you do get the nomads you will probably have set after set after set.LOL.and i don't think population stops the 1st couple either.i think population just helps determine how many you get each time. 2 or 3 kids working now won't hurt education level that bad. they make up for it in production early byu stocking supplies.there are several 1:1 year versions of that mod.sane way with the propertime mod.different players all have different ideas and wants.
    playing A&E is always slow starts but does pick up. lots of micro-managing early though.
   i did try to send you 400 nomads the last 2 days. yesterday i screwed up. forgot to save game and hit "accept" button on accident. then spent a long time trying to dig out of that mess. sure enough bout the 4th set of nomads later i did same thing.lost the whole day before it was done.

Abandoned

LOL @brads3 I am glad 400 nomads did not find me, oh my gosh, I don't think any of my towns ever had that many people.  I don't know what I would do with them all.  When nomads do arrive I pause the game so I can give it some thought, that's when there are a few.  I can't even image 400, good job dealing with that.  :)

Abandoned

Mood Music:  "You Don't Know What You've Got" by Ral Donner, "The Last Thing On My Mind" by Neil Diamond, "Every Time Two Fools Collide" by Kenny Rogers, "Stay With Me" by Sam Smith, "Baby, I'm Yours" by Barbara Lewis, and "Your Time Hasn't Come Yet, Baby" by Elvis.

Chapter 4

In early spring of year 9 Glen began building a tiny trading post.  It was hard work doing it on his own and having to keep an eye on Osbornell at the same time.  The boy worshipped his father and followed him everywhere.  How would we ever keep him in school?  Glen said he would finish the trading post, build a well, and gather as many resources as he could and then he would take over teaching.  Did that mean he wanted me to leave?  I said we had to talk.  He said he was sorry for the things he said and for the things he didn't say and he knew he "acted in a foolish way".  I agreed.  He said he didn't want me to leave, then added "darling, stay with me".  I said "baby, I'm yours and I'll be yours until the stars fall from the sky, yours until the rivers all run dry, and I'll be yours until the sun no longer shine" and I was gonna stay right there by his side and, he didn't let me finish what I was saying.

The trading post was finished and in late winter the 1st riverboat man arrived at our port.  Hassandyn, the resource merchant, only had logs to trade but we still had no trade goods.  He said there would be a market for just about anything we might have to trade and he would spread the word that a new settlement was here on this fork of the river.  He came down from Lakeland and Newport, the river divided a ways west of here, the branch in the other direction lead to a dangerous stretch of water.  There was a new settlement over that way too, Bloomington he thought it was called, they were building a canal.  And yes, there were plenty of nomads out there looking for a place to settle.  First the floods and now heat and drought to the south. He wished us well with our resort plans, said he would sure like to see his family and this would be a perfect spot for such a place.  He was sure other river boatmen would agree.

Our hopes again began to fade over the next 2 years and again the possibility of one or both of us leaving loomed over us.  I was always concerned that Inellar and Osbornell had no other playmates, now I consider the fact they would have no other mates.  Inellar was growing up, she was a very pretty little girl but she was just that, a little girl and we did not like the way Damariel the food merchant looked at her.  Most of these river boatmen had been away from their wives and sweethearts for a very long time. Before he left, Damariel agreed a river resort for their families was a good idea. We made no trade, he had nothing we needed and we still had no trade goods stored in the trading post. We kept an eye on Inellar and made sure the river boatman left alone.  Glen said he would talk to her.

We needed to find a way to attract nomad settlers to our town.  "There must be a way we still haven't tried."

brads3

LOL.it wasn't 400 at once but several large groups that added up to at least that many.even a small batch is almost 100 now.

Abandoned

Mod note:  A specially made NomadSign was added to the map, thank you so much @kid1293 for saving Riverview.  Big hug

Mood Music:   "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Marz, and "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias

Chapter 5

As soon as the snow melt in early spring of year 11, I took over teaching the children so Glen could cut trees on the other side of the river and the stream.  We needed to be more visible from a distance.  He was trying so hard, he won't give up.  And then he made a new Welcome sign pointing the way to town.  It was a very nice sign indeed and I had every confidence that it would attract nomads and our town and dream would be saved.  It was a turning point for Riverview and one big step towards realizing our dream.

And in spring of year 12 a family of 4 arrived.  They were on their way to Smallville and saw our sign.  They would gladly stay here with us, it was difficult traveling with a 1 and a 2 year old.  Gartholoman and Ashelva were very nice and willing to lend a helping hand wherever needed.  In no time at all we had a house built for them, Ashelva took over as teacher so she could be close to home to tend her 2 little ones, and the men cut trees and collected stone and iron.  I gathered wild foods and set up a beehive and brewer barrels hoping someday soon we would be able to tend the bees and brew some mead.  We needed trade goods.  Glen said trade the mushrooms, and he and Gartholoman had a good laugh.  I didn't get the joke but it was so nice to see Glen smile and hear him laugh again.

It had been a very good year, Riverview now had a population of 8, 4 adults, 2 students, and 2 young children.

kid1293

A good choice of songs. Looks like the there will be a great village. :)
Glen and Livi have some good years ahead!

brads3