News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

For larger maps...

Started by twilightbreeze, January 06, 2018, 06:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twilightbreeze

Ever have a large map, and maybe wanna send your bannies out to the far corner to collect something like stone, or gold in the North, but they get cold and hungry way out there an you risk losing them??

Ok, here is a temp solution. Bucket o' Slop, and Lean-to. Bucket o' Slop is a very small pail of food, not much, but enough for a quick bite, and Lean-to is a very small half-tent, no one lives there but with a small amount of firewood, they can briefly warm themselves at.

Maybe make it one use only, or specific amount that eventually respawns?  Great for those long distance trips, to reduce the amount of deaths. Place a couple for larger groups.

Anyone interested?
Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

twilightbreeze

Got my first computer 1984 when it was all dos. Been playing computer games and internet surfing since. SOOO much has changed!! lol.

Hawk

Are you planning on making this mod or are you asking if someone else can, if there's an interest in it?

Personally, I think it might be a good idea, if it's possible.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

twilightbreeze

Oh, yeah, I was asking if someone wanted to make it.  :-[

Discrepancy

So are these something that can be placed for free?

Will the citizens use it if hungry/freezing? would it would cause them to move out of their original house?

I can write up the code and see how it works later, though I'm not sure how the game mechanics could handle this.

RedKetchup

usually bannies only goes to an occupied house (with a family and firewood inside storage) to get warm
and not sure also if they do have an house, they will go for their own house or they will pickup the closest if their own house is very far...
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

correct me if i am wrong but i thought RED's fires <from i see fire mod> would work to keep bannies from freezing? i remeber placing them for bannies goin on long hikes to gather materials but it has been a while ago.i thought DS had his wagon vendors that were no cost before too? they would be handy for storing logs and stone while trying to clear for a wharehouse or even a storage pile when working so far away.

RedKetchup

Quote from: brads3 on January 07, 2018, 03:14:01 PM
correct me if i am wrong but i thought RED's fires <from i see fire mod> would work to keep bannies from freezing?

nan, i never found such features to give my fire that ability

twilightbreeze

I'm sure there is some way to code it so they will go to them like a house, but no one lives there, it's just a lean-to, not a house. If they are cold and/or hungry, they go to the nearest source of relief. That's what this is for.

I would place them free. Say you are low on stones, don't want a mine, but there is a motherlode on the other side of the map. Awfully far, but you can select it, then place a couple of these nearby. Your people would work the stones, and only stop to come back to drop them off, not because they are cold and hungry. They'd work longer at it.

Here is my image idea:

RedKetchup

maybe @Discrepancy  will find something  ;D
he is surprising sometimes :D

galensgranny

I think it is a good idea to have some sort of structure that no one lives in, but the workers can go in to get warm and eat and then go back to work.   A shack or small cabin would be good, so they would be out of the wind.

Discrepancy

I'm interested in this because it is similar to my own thoughts on future housing for the Wagon Vendors.

I have been testing just now to try and get them to use the shelter for warmth or food....
neither are working, the citizens are just walking straight past and not stopping.

As it is, I also can't get any code to work that would allow a storage building to be built with contents already inside - this only appears to work as a map generator code and is called up at creation of the map seed.
To test the shelter I have been getting someone to move in and stock it with fuel and firewood, then build another house and hit demolish on shelter for the person to move into new house. I then stop demolish, still preserving the contents. But like I said, so far the citizens walk right past the shelter even when they are starving or freezing and go to their own house.

Nilla

I don't know if this could help anyone in this case, but I remember one big thing, that was changed in the very first patch of this game. I'm sure you guys who played this game from the start remember the death marches: People who for some reason went too far away from their homes, starved or froze to death. This because they only went home to eat and get warm. This was changed in the patch, so that they also could eat and get warm somewhere else, if the couldn't get home, and these death marches more or less disappeared.

Now I have no idea what was changed, and in what way. I only wanted to say; opposite to in the initial game, they can eat and drink on other places than home. We also see that homeless people eat at the nearest barn/market and get warm at the closest house. If it´s possible to "trigger" something like this in a special building for poeople who have homes, I have no idea. It sounds like it´s hardcoaded but you guys are surprisingly resourceful.

Gatherer

Could Kid's abandoned places be modified to give food and firewood instead of building materials?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Tom Sawyer

Is it not so that people need to find an inhabited home to warm up? Where people live and heat the house. It means that actually a too simple object like a campfire or shelter will not work this way or (if coded as a residence) it would be rather strange. I probably would just build a simple house in such a region where people should get this opportunity to warm up. Can be a small farmstead where a family raises cows and grow crops and where also barns with food are to find. Also an inhabited herbalist cabin or foresters lodge out in the woods can work if you play in the north. In other mods it can be created from any houses too. I find it a nice imagination that people can survive even far away from home if they find a place where other people live. But I'm rather careful with that because never tested if it really works for people who have their own home.