Main Menu

Mark's Spreadsheet Questions

Started by MarkAnthony, July 01, 2019, 12:35:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Quote from: Nilla on July 02, 2019, 05:02:22 AM
All bad things; yes it´s my fault.  ;D

Should I annoy you even more?
What about another column in which you calculates how much space one grave needs for each size of the graveyard?
Good morning @Nilla , may I take your order please?  ROFL  :P   

Well for one thing, that chart I made will be for the spreadsheet's use on the back-end and will not be used or seen by people using my spreadsheet. I'm keeping it in the spreadsheet only because I don't think I will be able to figure out a formula to calculate those numbers. I also initially moved it into the spreadsheet just so I can post an easier to read chart of numbers to the forum, it was much better and easier for me to do than trying to use MS Word or a Notepad text file.

Anyways Nilla, whatcha' mean about how much space a grave needs within a graveyard?  We already know the footprint size of the graveyard and how many graves each one holds so I am not sure what more you mean.  Are you referring to how spaced out they appear next to one another?  If so... uhhm, why? For eye-candy reasons?

Like, "Oh Pastor, I really think you need a graveyard here at your Chapel, not toooo big, but not toooo small either!  One where we can walk around in easily and not like trip and fall over Bob who fell off the ladder while building the tavern! Oh! And let me tell you a bit about Bob! Between you and me Pastor, I think he was on the sauce while working! Uh huh, I do, I do!"

Haha -   :D   But is that what you meant? How densely packed they are? I would have no clue about how to go about figuring that out other than making each and every one one of those 183 graveyards and write a critique about them.  Of course then it actually would require the purposeful slaughter of thousands of Banies to fill them up. Do I understand your request exactly Ma'am?! This is what you want?   ;)

"The Evening Edition of Graveyard Digest anyone? Only thirty cents a copy. Come and get yours today!"  :P

Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

kid1293

Add a subscription for me :)

What if I change the behaviour of cemeteries?
Max 32x32?

MarkAnthony

Quote from: kid1293 on July 02, 2019, 08:39:17 AM
Add a subscription for me :)

What if I change the behaviour of cemeteries?
Max 32x32?
Good morning good Sir!

Hmmm.  A big shot modder like yourself asking me to include something into my spreadsheet that does not even exist in Banished vanilla? Does this mean that maybe you are contemplating on sharing your mod data with me at some point in the future?  I sure hope so and I look forward to support from modders.

I already mentioned it once, any mod data that is given to me to flesh out my spreadsheet to make it work better and provide more details will be hidden from public view by locking spreadsheet tabs down all the while hiding them from use and view too. And I always encrypt and lock my spreadsheets that I provide for download anyhow, just so no one comes in and takes my work and claims it as their own or messes around with it breaking things all over the place and then asking me to fix it for them.   >:(               

EDIT: And yes I know, that to do your 32x32 cemetery would most likely not even require me needing any internal data. I just thought I'd poke a bear and see what happens! (push my luck) 

Rofl  :P   

kid1293

This bear is friendly and only wants to rest. [scratch a little to the left] :)

I am not ready to share all that code. I have close to a hundred mods and in some,
there are many hundred files. I think I pass on this one.
Sorry if I disappoint you. I know you have a very tedious job ahead.

One word of caution. We are constantly changing the rules so a large spreadsheet
will quickly be outdated...   

Old info and updates will be my epitaph... (King Crimson 1969. (Couldn't resist)) :)

Be well. Regards

irrelevant

If we make it we can all sit back and laugh,
but I fear tomorrow I'll be crying....

kid1293

Knowledge is a deadly friend
If no one sets the rules
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools

Hi @irrelevant ! Good to see old faces coming by.

irrelevant

Ain't that the truth!

I have tickets to a King Crimson concert in DC in September; probably won't be many more.

I can only post from work; for some reason my computer at home doesn't like this site.

I restrained myself from posting at work for months, but that wasn't much fun!

irrelevant

@MarkAnthony sorry about the hijack, please carry on! ;)

brads3

Quote from: kid1293 on July 02, 2019, 11:16:37 AM

One word of caution. We are constantly changing the rules so a large spreadsheet
will quickly be outdated...   

that is my theory as well. spreadsheets can be handy to new players for a vanilla game. adding 2 mods can change the numbers.flipping those 2 in the mod order can change them again.

a long time agoi started work on a rough chart for the building construction costs. some used wood,some wood+stobe, W+S+iron or iron ore,etc.  i was goina put the barns in order based on the required materials and the storage capacity. not every mod is listed the same way. i started looking up the storage capacities for each barn this ment going thru pages and pages of threads to try and find them all.by the time i would have made just a rough chart,more mods would be created changing the chart. i gave up and went  back to playing the game.

not all info is easy to find or available.there are charts here and there for the vanilla game.locatng them into 1 spot would be handy for the new players. beyond that i think MARK will beat his head on a wall.

just to give you an example. chart the fields and outputs of each seed. mine are unique. they are not ALL RK seeds. even the RK crops do not grow  and produce as RK. they are affected by other mods.

irrelevant

@MarkAnthony  I have to say, as someone who has been living and dying by spreadsheets 8 hours a day for the past 30 years, I admire the spirit with which you are tackling this project. I know I certainly don't have it in me to take on something like this, as I am now mostly looking forward to the day when I can leave my spreadsheets behind! Best wishes.

MarkAnthony

Thanks @irrelevant ,

I haven't seen you around for a tiny bit, glad to see you back again. 

Nilla

Quote from: irrelevant on July 02, 2019, 12:11:08 PM
I have tickets to a King Crimson concert in DC in September; probably won't be many more.
Have fun, I didn´t know they were still active. Must be severe old gentlemen by now! But if the Rolling Stones still plays why not?

Back to order:
QuoteLike, "Oh Pastor, I really think you need a graveyard here at your Chapel, not toooo big, but not toooo small either!  One where we can walk around in easily and not like trip and fall over Bob who fell off the ladder while building the tavern! Oh! And let me tell you a bit about Bob! Between you and me Pastor, I think he was on the sauce while working! Uh huh, I do, I do!"

No, I meant rather:
"Oh, Pastor we can´t afford to use valuable potato fields for something unproductive like graves"
"But Nilla, the people will be unhappy, if they have nowhere to bury their loved ones"
"Hm..... how many graves do you think we would need?"
"I would say, something like 20-30 for our town"
"If we build a graveyard 9*12 tiles large, there will be room for 25 graves. That means we need to sacrifice 4,32 tiles or 30 baskets potatoes for one grave. If we build it a little larger, say 9*13 tiles, there´s room for 30 graves and each grave will only cost us 27 baskets of potatoes. Let´s ask that new guy Mark Antony with his Magic Spreadsheets which size that graveyard should have, to lose as little potatoes as possible" 

You know, something like that was in my mind. ;)