News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Into the Wild

Started by A Nonny Moose, September 07, 2014, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

Give a thought to barley as well.  If you have a good barley crop you can malt it, and then you can make real, honest to God, whiskey.  The general base can be rye, wheat, corn or any other grain if you are feeling ready for the taste.

The Tavern can become a distillery.  Also, don't forget that God put the yeast on the skins of grapes so that they would ferment naturally.  We need a grape crop as well.

And, I nearly forgot, but we need hops as well.  Can't make good beer without hops.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

Bobbi

There is a distillery in Cosack's Fountain Mod, but it uses sugar and makes Rhum. Barley would be great and I would love love love vineyards and a winery. Kind of surprised no one is modding grapes. Must be the only one who spends often spends weekends touring local wineries.

A Nonny Moose

While you are still young and fit, hop over to France and take a pass around the Aquitaine.  This area contains Bordeaux, Cognac, the Entre Deux Mers area, and some fabulous chais (wineries).  I did it, but i never got back to Lyons and the Burgundy area.  Put them both on your bucket list.

It is not that French wines are better, but they've been at it since Roman times, and they know how to teach people about wines.

A Nonny Moose

Time for a little immigration.  Also, a two year jump.

On Dash's ninth birthday, Leon arrived with some passengers who applied to join the settlement. They all agreed to our conditions and so we now have four new mouths to feed. It was a useful group, and Mark's son, Sam was the same age as Dash. It was good for Dash to have someone of the same age. Mark joined the farming group under Finbar.

The previous year, Leon had brought us a pair of sheep and some chickens. It was good to pick up Rudolf in the new group as he was an experienced shepherd and had his own herding dog, Shep.

Musetta Joined us from Goshwhattaplace. She had been crewing for Leon, but wanted to settle on land. She agreed to work as a farm hand with Finbar.

A few days later, Georgio came down to the fishing dock looking serious. "Dash has asked to apprentice with me. I told him you'd have to approve."

"Well", I said, "I was hoping he'd be a fisher like his old man, but I'd rather have a happy smith than an unwilling worker here. OK, put him to work."

"He'll have company. Mark has given permission for Sam to apprentice with me as well. I guess I'll be running classes for them, sort of. At least I'll have somebody to collect ore and make charcoal. This will take a load off Carmen and give her more time for Tinetta."

Later that day, Dash came happily bouncing down to the dock. "Thanks, Father. I've been fascinated by the work at the smithy, and now I can be a part of it."

"Fine, Dash, be sure you give all your effort to this. You'll soon be muscled up like Georgio."

"Me and Sam will be working together."

"Watch your manners! You know better than that. What should you have said?"

In a small voice, "Sam and I?"

"Right! Now get along with you."

The chickens had been getting into the grain stocks, so we had Geoff build a chicken coop and an enclosure. The older children who were not otherwise busy were delegated to collect eggs. Max, Jake and Tinetta were doing a good job at this, and breakfasts had improved. The hens were producing about two eggs each every three days. The few fertilized eggs were set aside in an incubator that Geoff had built on the side of the chicken coop. We were expecting our first hatch of chicks any day.

Rudi and Shep had settled into a large clearing with their charges. We hoped for some wool production and at least one lamb by the spring. It would be a while before we could have any mutton chops. Fortunately, we hadn't seen any coyotes or wolves in the area, but there was still mama bear and her cubs. We might have to take her out after all.

Bobbi

Nooooooo! Don't kill the bear.

A Nonny Moose

Y'know, by now those cubs are fully grown and gone, and mama might move to new territory seeking a new mate.  Bearskin rugs, on the other hand, sell well.

Bears are top predators and tend to keep other things down, and I think this one is a brown (grizzly) bear.  Grizzlies are direct ancestors of polar bears you know.  So, let's see what happens to the sheep.  Maybe we just need a Karelian Bear dog.  We'll have to see whether Shep (a border collie) would tolerate a friend.

Did you know that if you add a donkey to a sheep herd, coyotes won't bother the sheep.  Apparently they are afraid of the donkey.  The herders around here do that all the time.  Makes life more difficult for the deer, especially the fawns.

Bobbi

Donkeys have a pretty hefty kick  ;D

Nilla

What is all this talk about bears, coyotes and donkeys? In this game the BOARS are the real hazard ;).

Not only that they occasionally kill the poor hunters (Have Luke read/looked at "Game of Thrones?) Have you seen a garden where some of these beast have past? I have! Not a pretty sight!  :(

irrelevant

I've heard that about donkeys. Anything that causes grief for the white-tailed rats, er, I mean deer, is okay by me. ;)

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Nilla on October 10, 2014, 02:59:05 AM
What is all this talk about bears, coyotes and donkeys? In this game the BOARS are the real hazard ;).

Not only that they occasionally kill the poor hunters (Have Luke read/looked at "Game of Thrones?) Have you seen a garden where some of these beast have past? I have! Not a pretty sight!  :(

Deodato (Dodi) has not reported any boars in the area.  Actually, in this novella so far, the relationship to the game is in the first paragraph.  We are operating at a much lower level, and we are paying much more attention to detail.

Quote from: irrelevant on October 10, 2014, 05:54:19 AM
I've heard that about donkeys. Anything that causes grief for the white-tailed rats, er, I mean deer, is okay by me. ;)

Dodi does a good job at keeping the settlement supplied with venison and hides.  But from the comments, I see it is time to put him on stage again.  Watch for his adventures with the bears. 

The deer are more like Roebuck than the white tailed variety.  Much smaller, you don't need a deer hoist to lug them around.  Just as tasty, though.

Nilla

And what about the moose? Suppose they are protected in this story. ;)

Here the annual moose-hunting starts on Monday, a big event. And i am embarrassed to say; moose-meat is delicious.

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Nilla on October 10, 2014, 09:05:43 AM
And what about the moose? Suppose they are protected in this story. ;)

Here the annual moose-hunting starts on Monday, a big event. And i am embarrassed to say; moose-meat is delicious.
Seems to be a shortage of moose in this area.  No good water grounds.  Maybe later if we get some beavers to make ponds.  Here is the new instalment.

Dodi took Max and Jake with him on his next hunting trip. They were gone for three days, and came back into camp with a good bag and two excited twins. At the fire that night Dodi announced that his boys would be following in his footsteps and when they got older would foray by themselves.

"Deodato and Sons, Hunters and Guides?" I said.

"Why not?" said Deodato. "We might as well start a family firm".

"That doesn't get them off the egg patrol when they are in camp.", said Serpina. "I'll see to that."

The twins looked dejected as one. "Aww", said Max, "We had hoped" "to get out of that", finished Jake.

"Dodi, what of the bears?", I said.

"No sign of 'em. A fox has moved into the cave and has a litter of kits."

"No bear sign at all?"

"No scat. I think they've left this canyon. The two males would have anyway, and mama bear has left, probably seeking a new mate. Grizzlies are few and far between in these parts."

"Pa, can I tell it?", said Max.

"Sure."

"On the trail back we saw a pack of stoats feeding on a deer carcase. We don't think they killed it, but just took over when whatever did it finished and left it." "Pa thinks the killer was a puma", chimed in Jake.

Max frowned at Jake. Serpina pursed her lips and gave each of then a look, and things got better.

Geoff said, "I was going to ask Father Leon to find us a bear dog, but I won't now. Expensive unless we have reason to have one. They come from across the water and are good bear hunters."

We had supper together around the fire, and the children were dispatched to bed. The rest of us broke up into conversation groups and spent some time comparing notes on the last few days.

After supper, I went out to the sheep pasture with a bit of supper for Rudi. "Rudi, would you like to have a donkey to keep you company with the sheep? It would help Shep keep the coyotes off."

"That would be a good thing, but can we afford it?"

Well, there is not much maintenance, and I think Leon can get us a good price."

"OK, then. The ewe is pregnant, and I would like some extra defence"

A Nonny Moose

Continuing the sage of Hereweare, the settlement of outcasts (and others).

The next spring, I sent a message to Leon that we needed a shepherd's donkey, and maybe some more people for the settlement if he could find them discretely.

Leon was a very good agent as well as a trader and when his bateau arrived just after the planting, he came ashore leading as pretty a little jack as you have ever seen. He also had a few extra hands crowding the safety lines. "Ho, Indio", he called, "I've our shepherd's jackass and there are a few people on board who might be interested in settling here with your encampment".

I invited any who intented to stay ashore and to the community fire. "You all are welcome if you pass our inspection. First, tell us who you are and why you want to stay with us."

The group huddled together and looked abashed. Leon stepped in with, "Come, come, now. You have all said you want to settle in a new place. Hereweare is as good a place as any, and there are people here who can help you."

He picked out a likely looking young man, and led him to the fire.

"Name and origin?", I asked.

"Willem from Ochem", said the boy. "My brother, Wilfred is with me."

"How will you improve our settlement?"

"Our parents, dead now, showed us how to mine for ore and coal, but we haven't been able to find work in the local mines. They all say we lack experience."

"Well, we haven't any experience either. Do both of you affirm that you will act as a part of the community?"

Will turned and pulled out Wilfred and they both agreed.

After this start, things proeeded in order of arrival.

There were three women, apparently unrelated. Anastasia claimed to be a seamstress, Francesca a farmer, and Katerina who had been in service would do general labour as assigned. All were agreeable to our conditions, and we set about finding housing for everyone with Geoff's help.

While the settlement made room, I gave the donkey to Katerina as directed her to take him down to the sheep pasture for Rudi. This damsel is very pretty and I had an ulterior motive in sending her along to Rudi. One can always hope...

After the arrival ceremony, if it can be called that, Leon and I retired to our warehouse for a little dickering. Of all things, Leon had some hops seeds, some barley seeds, and some lengths of copper tubing. I was taken a little aback, then thought hard about it. "You don't happen to know any disaffected distillers along your route, do you?", I asked.

"As a matter of fact, I do, and he is aboard the bateau. He didn't want to join the madding crowd."

"Why is he so reticent?"

"He wasn't sure whether this community is wet or dry"

"We are moderate in all things. I wouldn't mind a taste of uisgebeatha after a long day on the fishing dock."

"Well, good news for him. I assume you'll invite him to stay with his family. Now just what was it you want to trade for all this stuff, and what else is there you need?"

We haggled for a while and finally agreed on a cart full of stuff in both directions. We took our goods and headed for the docks.

Leon went aboard to organize the trade and stowage, and came back ashore with a strapping red-headed man of middle age. "This is Patrick ap Conan, your new brewmaster and distiller", Leon said.

"Well, Patrick, if you affirm that you and your family will act as part of the settlement, you are welcome to stay and ply your trade."

"Oh Aye", said Patrick with what could only be an overseas brogue. "We'll be more than happy to settle if those are the only conditions."

He went back aboard and returned with his wife, Deirdre, and a strapping youth of no denying, his son Col.

"Welcome all", I said. "Go up to the central fire and ask for Geoff. He'll see to temporary place for you until your cabin can be built.

Bobbi

I love it! We need a Jackass mod. And did you add the distillery mod to your game?

A Nonny Moose

Quote from: Bobbi on October 13, 2014, 04:19:32 PM
I love it! We need a Jackass mod. And did you add the distillery mod to your game?

Well, it could have been a jenny, but I think jacks are more effective with coyotes.
No, I am running with no mods at all. 

In case you didn't notice my distiller is an Irish Celt.  Very classical, and will be looking around for a peat bog.  His son, Col, is the eldest kid, nearly an adult. ;)

The Windows Executive (wine) on Linux still runs this game at a snail's pace even on 10x.  Takes several hours to get anything done.  There is a problem with the multi-tasking, so I do wish Luke had been more portable rather than stuck to Microshaft.  Good thing I am retired and very patient.