News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Exiled

Started by A Nonny Moose, December 31, 2014, 09:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Nonny Moose

I didn't say I was through.  I just got sick of those characters.  Here's the first installment of a new set of loonies.  Shall I continue?

Exiled

Charlie Hanson was depressed.

For the fifth or sixth time he read the headquarters notice, and couldn't find any loopholes in the directive.

To:Commander: Luna Base

Effective immediately, no further supply shipments can be made to support Luna Base. A pick up shuttle will arrive at 1500Z to pick up all colonists. Should any colonists wish to continue the colony, no support from Space Division can be provided.

Charlie put his head in his hands for a moment, then decisively went to the main panel and flipped the public address toggle. "Attention all personnel. There will be a meeting in the assembly hall at 0900Z. This is a mandatory meeting, and all must attend."

Charlie took his place at the podium in the assembly hall and waited until the assembly was complete.

"OK, quiet down please, I have an announcement."

The shuffling and rustling stopped and everyone sat down.

"We expected this to happen, but maybe not quite as soon as this", Charlie announced. "We've been terminated as a colony. The evacuation ship will be here today at 1500 Zulu. If anyone stays after the ship leaves, there will be no supply shuttles nor contact with the Space Division. For anyone staying, it amounts to exile.

Dead silence, followed by a rising buzz.

"But what about my atmosphere plant and greenhouse? Can I take it with me?" asked James Folker.

"Sorry Jimmy, but there won't be room. What's coming is a passenger ship"

Amy White said, "Are you going?"

"No", I said. "We all know we are self sufficient here and have been for some time."

In the general hubbub that followed, it became apparent that no one was interested in returning to a full g field and a rather nothing existence on crowded earth.

"If any of you change your mind, be at lock 1 with your luggage at 1430. Dismissed."
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

A Nonny Moose

The shuttle docked promptly at 1500. Several people exited the ship and stood quietly talking. The skipper came into the lounge and found me. "Brought you some people who want to stay here."

"No one in my crew is planning to leave, as you can see. So, I suppose I'd better talk to these immigrants."

"Welcome to Luna Base, folks. Each of you come up to the desk and register. You know there is no going back once the shuttle leaves."

A very tall man with blue-black skin came to the desk. "I am Alan Jones. I have a doctorate in powder chemistry and I want to pursue studies of the regolith in particular. I hope you can find a place for me here."

"As long as you participate and pay your air tax, we have no argument with new skills. I think we can find a spare space for you in the second ring. You can use the Regolith Lab, and if you need them, print some more accommodations.

"Hello," said the petite blond lady. "I'm Beulah Sanderson, and I cook among other things."

"It is always nice to see someone who might give our chef, Francis, a run for his calories. Welcome aboard."

"Thank you, the two older kids sitting on the baggage over there are my kids, Zarchary and Mehitabel. They want to continue their studies. Zack wants to be a pilot, and Mehitabel is studying biology and already has a baccelaureate."

"We have some large accommodation units in ring 3. If you need more space come see me and we'll see what we can do."

The shuttle pilot came over. "I had hoped that nobody would want to leave. I am staying too, then. My name is Edward Murchison. Where would you like me to park our new ship?"

It took me several seconds to absorb what was just said. "Welcome, Edward. What do you suppose will happen when the powers that be discover they've lost a ship and a pilot."

"The way things have been going down there, I think they will be mightily relieved. There has been a lot of clamouring from the conservative side to scrap this whole program as an unnessary expense."

Swallowing hard, I said, "OK, then, move it over to lock 2 on the alternative pad. I'll have Amy open the lock and landing tube for you. Please come to my office when you are docked."

I put in a call for Amy and relayed the request.

Nilla

I would very much like to read how this very different story will go on. How will you fit power chemistry, spaceships and such things into Banished? Interesting :)

A Nonny Moose

Other than the idea of being cut off from the rest of civilization, I think the ideas of Banished may get a bit twisted.  Watch for the next instalment as the science team have to become entrepreneurs.

A Nonny Moose

The next morning, Murchison arrived at my office with Amy in tow. "I guess I've opened a can of worms", he said.

"No reaction, so far", I said. "But we should be prepared for some kind of demand or retort from Earth. We've tweaked their nose, and that ship is an expensive asset that we have, essentially, stolen."

"By the way, Amy, I forgot to tell you that I've added Port Authority to your duties."

"Thanks a lot", Amy said sarcastically. "Alan Jones was over to see me last night and wants to print some more pieces to add to the buildings. I said I'd see you about it."

"Tell him to go ahead", I replied. "You should look over his shoulder and keep track of accommodations for all the newcomers from yesterday. If possible, I want everyone to be comfortable. Amy, I'd like you, Jim and Sandra to form a development committee for the next month or so until we can see who really needs to be assigned. We need to to get on with forming a government out of all this and not a military command."

"OK, I'll get them together after lunch. I think I'll ask Francis to join the group. We'll need his advice."

"Pilot, I'd like you to be the base of our space transport division. Ask around and see who might be interested in forming a shipping/transport company. Thanks to you, we have a space worthy vessel. You might as well continue as captain."

"Very well. I really am some attached to the old girl, and I can keep her flying."

"If there is nothing else, then I'll see you at lunch."

rkelly17

I get back from three weeks away only to discover that A Nonny Moose has discontinued "Into the Wild,"   :'(  And then discover that he has started a new "soap opera."   :D

Thanks for a fine ride with "Into the Wild."

A Nonny Moose

Thank you.  This is going to be a low gravity sled, with all the problems for the author that you might expect.  I might even have to consult with "Captain Tom".

A Nonny Moose

And now ... back to our story ...

+++

The next day the overnight messaging system contained a request for a flight plan for the returning shuttle. I got hold of Amy and Ed asking them to come to the control center. When they arrived I passed the message flimsy around and looked at them expectantly.

"I will have to answer this in my new capacity, I suppose", said Amy.

"Expect a dead or alive warrant for my body, when they get it", put in Ed.

"Think about this a little more, please. Amy send out a polite no to the flight plan, maybe. What you say in it is up to you. I expected a rather hotter response than this, so I tbink they are doing all their sums again. We've just all become deserters from the Space Corps. and they want to think about this as a mutiny, I suppose."

"They don't have any idea of the current attitudes up here", Ed said.

"No", I said. "Amy, try not enlighten them too much."

Amy said, "I'll let you both see it before I send it".

"I'll call a general meeting for today at 1500. We have to make some collective decisions on what we are going to do as a group and what we are going to be called. 'Luna Base' doesn't seem to be right any more."

+++

In the assembly room, the meeting came to order at 1505. I took the chair, and tapped on the table for attention. "Welcome to the first meeting of our new town, folks. We have to decide what kind of organization we want, and how we will represent ourselves to the outside system. Any suggestions?"

A momentary silence, then from Bill Sanderson, "What have we heard from Earth?"

"So far, only a request for a flight plan for the return of the shuttle. We don't have one since our pilot, Ed, has no intention of returning to Earth. We are expecting something more imperious. I've made an interim appointment of Amy as our port authority along with Jim and Sandra to be out development committee. Anyone who wants to join this should see Amy after the meeting. Ed has agreed to take on space transportation, and will be looking for some help, so if you feel inclined in that direction, please let him know. Anyone about our set up?"

Suzuki stood up and said, "We can't just be a committee of the whole all the time. As people find out what has happened, I suspect we'll have people wanting to join us here."

"True. If you don't object, why don't you take on the duties of immigration officer?"

Suzuki sat down, looking thoughtful.

A Nonny Moose

WNN 20 September 2133: A new crater has been seen on the moon at the site of the former lunar station.  The asteroid strike appears to have obliterated the entire station.  No survivors.

Nilla

Already tired of this story? :(

or are there some surprises?

A Nonny Moose

No surprises.  Just a reality check.  No earth government would let such a colony exist.

irrelevant

The Moon is indeed a harsh mistress.

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on January 18, 2015, 09:57:15 PM
WNN 20 September 2133: A new crater has been seen on the moon at the site of the former lunar station.  The asteroid strike appears to have obliterated the entire station.  No survivors.

Asteroid or "asteroid"?

As you said:
Quote from: A Nonny Moose on January 19, 2015, 07:09:07 AM
No surprises.  Just a reality check.  No earth government would let such a colony exist.

Just because you're paranoid . . . .

;D

A Nonny Moose

Of course it was an "asteroid".  You wouldn't expect the space authority to admit to owning a thermonuclear bomb, would you?

rkelly17

Quote from: A Nonny Moose on January 19, 2015, 12:35:01 PM
Of course it was an "asteroid".  You wouldn't expect the space authority to admit to owning a thermonuclear bomb, would you?

Bomb? What bomb? Who said anything about a bomb?   ;D