Author Topic: Nordic Landscape  (Read 74726 times)

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
Re: Nordic Landscape
« Reply #735 on: August 05, 2017, 12:33:07 AM »
Coal is only a fuel to heat houses in this mod and coal mining follows only the fuel limit as it already does in previous versions. Its completely differentiated from ore and ironworking. Glass and bricks deserve their own flags in my opinion, just like wood and stone. This way you always see the exact amount of stocked building materials in overview without checking any inventories. You also can auto purchase for certain materials you need and both productions can be limited separately. Would not be possible with a collection category for building materials. Same with salt which will be a frequent import and necessary for food processing. Imagine what would happen if salt is mixed with iron ore. Purchasing it to preserve fish would bring ore as well and when salt comes in at the trading post your ore mining can stop because the limit is reached. And a specialized market to support a smelter would be filled with salt which is needed in a salt house at the other end of your town. Those were the problems with vanilla flags and now it can be solved, at least as far as possible. :)

Offline brads3

• Banished Expert
« Reply #736 on: August 05, 2017, 01:55:44 AM »
interesting points. glad to hear the reasons you did it this way.i don't completely agree with CC's way, but then i think all modders would have a different idea.  it does matter to storage and that is the problem i notice.too many items scattered and which item goes where? i do like the idea of giving players more control over with the flags.if CC stays dead much longer, you might want to bring up your ideas to the other modders here and re-debate what flag goes with what items. it would be an interesting idea.

Offline Hawk

• Trader
« Reply #737 on: August 05, 2017, 03:58:51 AM »
Sorry for the long wait.^^ Could not make much last weeks but will come up with version 6 soon.

No problem. I'm patient.

I'm playing The Long Dark right now anyway.
Hawk

Proprietor of The Hawk & Badger Railroad - for all your Railroad Tycoon 2 & 3 needs

My Internet went down for an hour so I had to talk to my family. They seem like nice people

Offline embx61

• Modders
  • Banished Expert
  • You are always on my mind, Forever in my heart
« Reply #738 on: August 05, 2017, 06:03:49 AM »
I agree with about anything Tom did with the flags.

IMHO Custom1 and Custom2 and Custom6 CAN be changed. Forged? Precious? Fabrics items can just be textiles.
Minerals should be given a real Custom flag so coal is just coal again under it's own flag.

I understand that looking in the Townhall can be helpful when certain items have their own dedicated flags but there are quite a few of those and we will never have enough flags/limits to cover them all unless Luke giving us another 10 or even 20 and even if Luke do this it will make the UI too big.

I like the ores to Iron idea (Also realistic) and will maybe implement it later too in my mods.

Custom3 should be renamed to something like Enhanced Fuel instead if Industrial Fuel.
CC is based on colonial times, many, if not about all other mods, are not.

Fuels as Cokes and Charcoal should be added to Custom3 and I already did this with charcoal.

I think the whole Precious flag is a odd one too. Change it to money for those mods which include currency.

What is the purpose of Gold and silver in Banished? Probably just trading materials anyway as I not see Bannies building their homes in Silver or Gold :)
so could easily go into Cutom7(Misc) and free up a flag (Custom6) or leave them in Custom6 but make it money instead. Gold and silver as Trading money was very common I think.

I always tried to be as compatible with CC as possible but modding is an ever ongoing process of evolving and changes.

As brads3 said, maybe it is about time to do something with certain flags/limits as BL is MIA and so far no word in months if they ever return.
Some flags are bound to CC and we "have to" follow but have no real use for about 3 flags. (Custom1, 2 and 6) for us modders.

I am not King of the mountain so other input is of course needed IF we want the flags at all that is.
Modding wise it will be not too hard to adapt some flags IF we decide to change them.

I propose something in the following lines:

Custom0 Crafted/Goods.
Custom1 Forged now, but can be changed.
Custom2 Fabrics now but can be changed. Roll al fabrics items over to Textiles.
Custom3 Fine, but in string table set to enhanced fuel or something similar.
Custom4 Raw materials is fine
Custom5 Construction materials is fine
Custom6 Precious now but can be changed to money.
Custom7 Misc is fine.

CoalFuel (Minerals) Can maybe given a real Custom flag now so coal is separated again.
Alcohol - Luxeries is fine

Reserved 8 and 9 can be given a flag as they are currently not used since Luke gave us the 10 flags/limits.

brads. storage will always be a problem and this is not directly because of the flags used but is because of the enormous amount of resources the game has now.
I can set a barn/market to accept only vegetables. But we never know if that one vegetable you want to be stored in there will be the lettuce because there are many other vegetables out there and bannies store the other vegetables as well till it is full so lettuce not fit anymore and get stored a mile away in another barn.

We have no control whatsoever besides giving it flags.

I personally think it is one of the charming sides of Banished to have to fiddle a bit here and there, but that is just me.
A simulated game where you just dump some stuff on the map and let the game run overnight at 10x speed unintended is not my way of playing a game.

I rather just watch a movie instead. :)

Brings me to the last point and I admit, I am guilty here too :)

Us modders have sometimes that thing to just cram too much into the game. Just create it and add it to the game.
In other words, just add it to the game as filler instead of real purpose.

IMHO CC went really over the top here.

It is a balancing act as we all want too have as much stuff in the game as the engine allows us but with it come storage issues.
Variety is a good thing but I admit that we, players and modders alike, go sometimes a bit over the top with requesting and cramming stuff in the game without really giving it a good thought. :)

Nothing wrong with that but it adds all up to the storage problems explained above.
My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory

Offline Paeng

• Banished Expert
« Reply #739 on: August 05, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
I would strongly suggest to put this into a new topic on the board.

I feel that all these need a lot of discussion and thinking out well   :)

Just sayin'  ;)
Heads are round so thoughts can take a turn

Offline brads3

• Banished Expert
« Reply #740 on: August 05, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
not to be argumentative,i agree with most but not all of that. i think CC did the flags with the purpose to give players more control over the production chains.i haven't seen it work that way though.it may be that i don't play long games enough to be used to the new flags. in theory it would make sence but as i say does it really work right in game? i would like to hear PAENG's opinion on that.
    say you can control textiles and the coats both,then you shuld be able to find a balance where you don't get overstocked with the furs and leather.same with iron ore and iron.EB is correct that we have so many items under the tags that stops us from using them to find a balance. for example: RED's fodder and flowers go under misc. so if i use the limit to control the fodder,like when it overproduced,i stop the chain from making fertilizer or the perfume from working because i have too many flowers.if we had control of the end product like perfume ,then that will stop the chain from working forward and back up the rest.not saying the way RED used the flag is wrong,just using it as a example.since then he tweaked the outputs.
in theory the food limit should stop the fodder and fertiizer chain in the long run.when the food limit was reached,you would still have some fertilizer and some fodder and water. once the limit was raised or the food used up,the chain would continue to function as it did.again that is theory.in practice,the fodder hit the limit and stopped the fertilizer from being produced.the greenhouses kept working until they ran out of fertilizer.to make it work what do we need 4 more flags? water,fertilizer,flowers,and fodder? other than the way RED solved it,i am not sure we could have found a better balance.
     if i understand TOM's way correctly,he sets the end trade item to a limit. so say leather saddles and perfumes would go there along with rugs. now when you hit that limit it would stop ALLthe chains pushing those products out. but it stops them at the same time.and we still have the flags to control the chains. i disagree with putting all of a chain under 1 tags. take EB's saddles. we need control over the leather plus the end product.so i think we use the crafted flag.otherwise when the cured leather hits the limit, the saddles won't be able to be produced.

as to CC. i like much of what TOM has done with the NORTH mod. i also like having the many crops of CC and some pieces. the forts,the exttra markets,mills,candles,etc. i had hoped CC would have kept going and gave us more options to use parts outside of CC.i wish there was a way to use CC under the NORTH. even if it ment an override mod to make the 2 work.i hope by winter,the team returns to the game. i don't think they should dictate to all modders on how to do things and have so much control. though i do like the CC versions,i never played the mega mod. never agreed with the idea really. to me a mega-mod is a mixture of so many mods but crammed together.by doing that i figured it would create conflicts.it took them a lot of months to iron out some of the bugs. i guess they have solved most by now.personally i like being able to move mods in the order and tweak the game.plus i can choose what to add and what not to.
            the precious limit flag is used for gold and silver pfering<coins>. those are used by the fort pieces along with hardtack,tools,muskets to bring different goods. in my case though,the precious tag is not used since i elected for the older style of buildings in the mod.mine still functions under the old tags.

Offline RedKetchup

• Champion
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #741 on: August 05, 2017, 10:34:58 AM »
this is the reason i always claimed i would prefer the ability to target directly the "rawMaterialxxx.rsc file instead of a flag.
having +10 flag is nice... but you could have absolute control if you can target the rawmaterial itself.

you could even control every resource numbers in a market or storage place for example for each resource. like a TP
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:40:26 AM by RedKetchup »
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Paypal Donations < < <
Click here to PayPal Donate.

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #742 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
Still in old times, gold-seekers arrive in the untouched land of the North. They have knowledge not only about seeking gold at river banks and digging for it into mountains. They also know how to survive under tough conditions. How to preserve fish using salt, how to make tasty roast venison and a lot of booze to warm up. They even know how to grow onions in cold climate. ;D

Actually I just wanted to make a terrain facelift for the current version but then added some suitable buildings and resources I already made for version 6 and included UI improvements as well as new animal sounds. It is still supporting 1.0.6, especially for Steam users but interested banished people can download version 5.3 as well. All details as always in changelog.

http://www.banishedventures.com/images/goldrush.jpg
Nordic Landscape

http://www.banishedventures.com/images/goldrush-buildings.jpg
Nordic Landscape

Offline Abandoned

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #743 on: August 12, 2017, 01:21:05 PM »
Oh my goodness, thank you Tom Sawyer for updated North, great sounding additions.  Will certainly look forward to the next trip North.  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:31:49 PM by Abandoned »

Offline Turis

• Trader
« Reply #744 on: August 12, 2017, 02:21:24 PM »
Thank you, Tom! ;D

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #745 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »
Let me know before you start a new story @Abandoned to give you a version with latest content and fixings or compatibility overwrites of mods you want to add. :)

Offline Abandoned

• Advisor
  • Banished Expert
« Reply #746 on: August 14, 2017, 01:40:24 PM »
I will do that @Tom Sawyer .  I have downloaded 5.3 I am eager to head North.  Would be happy to test so when @Nilla returns she can concentrate on the facts and figures of production numbers.  She is so good at that.  :)

Offline Nethanis

• Laborer
« Reply #747 on: August 14, 2017, 11:58:38 PM »
Just wanted to say that I'm glad to see how you are improving and expanding this mod. The way you implement the old times is sort of a dream-come-true to me. :)
I'm excited to see the new things listed in the roadmap and looking forward to new trips North. :)
Your work brings both fun and inspiration. Thank you, Tom. Keep it up. ;)

Offline Tom Sawyer

• Modders
  • Architect
« Reply #748 on: August 15, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
Thank you, too. It was your idea to make such log cabins. Let me know your future suggestions! :)

Offline Nethanis

• Laborer
« Reply #749 on: August 15, 2017, 10:41:06 AM »
I'm happy to help. :) For now I can't come up with anything as good as what you are currently doing and what was already discussed. I will surely give more suggestions whenever they crystalize in my mind. ^^