News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

ModKit not producing results

Started by quadgamer, July 02, 2017, 08:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quadgamer

I tried to make a simple Plains mod (it's really gonna be Valleys with less mountains). I followed the thorough, simple directions from this post  http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=959.0

When I started the game, "Plains" didn't show in the list. I checked and rechecked all the files to make sure the spelling was correct and matched. Yes, I used Application-x64-profile.exe and I'm running 1.0.7.

Is the modkit buggy? Is that post old and not the way to do it? Can someone please help. Thanks.

brads3

not familar with that mod. do you have any other mods loaded? when you click mods from the game screen did you enable the mod?you will want this mod closest to the top above any other start mod that changes the start menu.

brads3

once you enable the mod and the game reloads,you do want to exit the game and fully reload it also.

RedKetchup

in your MyModResource.rsc file at the root of your mod you need to call:

ExternalList resource
{
External _resources
[
"Game/Terrain/TerrainList.rsc" //a copy of the original file copied in you mod folder and modified to add your Plains.rsc.
"Game/Terrain/Plains.rsc", //is the new terrain file you created and you decided the parameters to be more plain, less mountain. Both need to be called here.
]
}

Game/Terrain/TerrainList.rsc :
ExternalList resource
{
External _resources
[
"Game/Terrain/Plains.rsc", // you need to call your new plain map here too and add it to the menu choice.
"Game/Terrain/Valleys.rsc",
"Game/Terrain/Mountains.rsc",
]
}

Game/Terrain/Plains.rsc :

TerrainGenerator resource
{
StringTable _stringTable = "Dialog/MyModStringTable.rsc:terrainType"; // your stringtable with the name of the file you decided, MyMod is just an example.
String _text = "Plains";
bool _exposed = true;

// materials
WeakMaterialInstance _terrainMaterial = "Terrain/Terrain.rsc";
WeakMaterialInstance _riverMaterial = "Terrain/River.rsc";
WeakMaterialInstance _lakeMaterial = "Terrain/Lake.rsc";

// size of the map
Feature _features
[
// ------ small ---------
{

you also need to respect the folder integrity. recreate a Game folder, a Terrain folder inside the Game folder. and if you prefer a UI folder, then change the link of stringtable to UI folder  and not Dialog folder in your Plains.rsc.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

quadgamer

Wow, thanks for the replies.
I did enable the mod and restart the game.
@RedKetchup 1st, luv your mods. I don't know if you checked the link in my post, it may be outdated. I noticed it's missing
ExternalList resource
{
External _resources
[
"Game/Terrain/TerrainList.rsc" //a copy of the original file copied in you mod folder and modified to add your Plains.rsc.
[color=red][i][b]"Game/Terrain/Plains.rsc"[/b][/i][/color], //is the new terrain file you created and you decided the parameters to be more plain, less mountain. Both need to be called here.
]
}

Maybe that was the problem?

I do have the Game and Terrain folders, but the tutorial says to do it this way: Banished\modkit\MyMods\Plains\Game\Terrain. Is that up to date?

Thanks for your help.

RedKetchup

Quote from: quadgamer on July 06, 2017, 10:54:44 AM
Wow, thanks for the replies.
I did enable the mod and restart the game.
@RedKetchup 1st, luv your mods. I don't know if you checked the link in my post, it may be outdated. I noticed it's missing
ExternalList resource
{
External _resources
[
[color=red][i][b]"Game/Terrain/Plains.rsc"[/b][/i][/color], //is the new terrain file you created and you decided the parameters to be more plain, less mountain. Both need to be called here.
]
}

Maybe that was the problem?

I do have the Game and Terrain folders, but the tutorial says to do it this way: Banished\modkit\MyMods\Plains\Game\Terrain. Is that up to date?

Thanks for your help.

if "Banished\modkit\MyMods\Plains\" is your mod you are working on

embx61

It should work.

Indeed the Banished\modkit\MyMods\Plains was just my example folders.

I seem to only I missed the extra "Game/Terrain/Plains.rsc.

As the Plains.rsc is called in the TerrainList.rsc I was thinking it was not needed.

[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

quadgamer

For some reason I can't quote. But, @RedKetchup: Something is wrong because it's compiling. In Banished\modkit\bin\WinData there's a file plains.pkm. Everything is spelled correctly. But, when I open the game thru Application-x64-profile.exe or Application-x32-profile.exe it doesn't show.

I tried this about a year ago and had the same problem. I want an xtra large map with 3-5 streams, 2, maybe 3, lakes and only a few mountains. I can't find any so I thought I'd make it. It should be easy.
// ------ xtra large ---------
{
int _mapSize = 640;

// number of flat areas
int _flatAreaCount = 700;

// size of flat areas
int _minFlatAreaSize = 20;
int _maxFlatAreaSize = 30;

// number of areas to avoid
int _avoidAreaCount = 32;

// size of avoidance areas
int _minAvoidSize = 20;
int _maxAvoidSize = 30;

// how many close nodes to connect to
int _flatAreaConnections = 5;

// rivers
int _streamCount = 5;

// erosion
int _erosion = 32000000;

// number of lakes
int _minLakeCount = 2;
int _maxLakeCount = 3;

// lake size
int _minLakeSize = 30;
int _maxLakeSize = 60;

// number of parts per lake
int _lakePartCount = 80;

// part sizes
int _minLakePartSize = 6;
int _maxLakePartSize = 12;
}

*Forgot to say I added the xtra large. It's not the only code in the file.

I copied the Valleys.rsc, changed it to Plains and added "xtra large". I even tried it without it. It still didn't work. I don't know what could be wrong.

quadgamer

My folder structure: Banished\modkit\MyMods\Plains\Game\Terrain. Inside Terrain are the 2 files, Plains.rsc and Terrainlist.rsc.

RedKetchup

put what you have in a .zip and post here, will fix it

not seeing what you made and where are your errors since i dont see your files. you dont give much infos ^^

quadgamer

@RedKetchup That's so cool of you. Thank you so much. Sorry it took so long. It wouldn't upload. Kept getting stuck at 5%.

edited by ketchup

RedKetchup

woah why it is so big ??? did you gave me all your modkit ?

RedKetchup

your plain is working perfectly, thats your xtra large size that doesnt work

quadgamer

quadgamer

oh. huh? did you open it in the modkit or did you add the mod to the game?