News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Happiness (modded version)

Started by Nilla, May 30, 2018, 05:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nilla

First I must say: this is what I think I know now. I don't understand completely, how it works, but I've got an "overall picture" of the happiness system and I can get most of my Bannis happy and I will try to tell, what I know, so far.

1. Everything here is only true, if you use one of the mods "Norseman" or "Ironman" from @Tom Sawyer. They are both real time ageing mods applied to the North, but you can use them in any other game (except together with other real time aging mods). I have only played them with the North, the buildings are "adapted" to this system. My guess is, that it's probably harder, but no way impossible, to get an average of 5 stars happiness without the North.

2. The basic level of happiness is (after a minute or so) 3 stars. Only very special things, like death of a family member without a graveyard (like vanilla) or a very unusual combination of other bad things, makes it drop below 3 stars. If the happiness of a person reaches a certain level, the happiness goes from 3 to 5 stars in "one blow". There's nothing in between.

3. Depending on profession, location, number of idling spots, you lose between 10 and 35% production, if someone have 3 stars compared to 5. It's not primary the time they idle, that causes the production to get down a lot. It's the time on the road between work and idling spot. It pays off soon, to try to make the population happy.

4. There are 5 or 6 different kind of happiness, that can be provided from buildings. I'll quote @Tom Sawyer (with a few comments of mine in ( ):

"Safety" provided by wells to feel save from fire and let's say to have clean water. Easy to build and necessary anyway.
    "Health" or maybe better "quality of life" provided by a sauna in old times and by living in red cottages later. Cheap to build and without ongoing costs. (in vanilla/other mods a hospital with a doctor also provides this kind of happiness)
    "Goods" provided by markets, village shops and trading docks. Also a basic need and covered anyway in most cases. (some markets only bring happiness with a working vendor)
    "Spirit" or "Religion" provided passive by the chapel (the cemetery not in this mod because it already has an important function)
    "Spirit Bonus" provided by a priest working in the church given to members*. It costs a full time worker which makes it only useful in mid and late game. (I don't agree on that a priest pays off pretty soon)
     "Entertainment" by Ale House and Tavern (if alcohol is stored) as final and most expensive aspect with ongoing costs. (It doesn't need a working innkeeper, just enough stored alcohol)

*people don't have to live inside the church circle to benefit from the "spirit bonus" but need to be members of the church

5. There are buildings; mines, quarries, industrial buildings, (also living in the small goathi hut in the North) that detracts happiness. They don't take stars away directly, but each "bad building" takes away the effect of a "good building". And as far as I can see, you can't compensate the negative effect of these "bad buildings" with another "good building" if you already have one of that category.

6. Other things than buildings also have an influence on the happiness; good or bad.
    Good - a lot of different kind of food
    Bad - no coat, no house, starving, freezing, sick without doctor, death of a familymember even with a graveyard
There are probably more and the combination of several of those aspects, can have a large effect, while you may not notice it, if it's only one of them.

How to use this to make your people happy?

1. The house must be inside a happiness circle. The door tile is the important piece, (or rather the center piece at the front). It need to be inside the happiness circle/shouldn't be inside the detraction circle.

2 You need at least 3 of the happiness buildings to see an effect. If you have a good food diversity and nothing bad has happened, you might get a few happy persons with only well, sauna and market. The real happiness boost comes with a priest or an inn with alcohol. If you want everyone to be happy, you'll need both.

3.If something "bad" has happened in the past: a period where some people had no clothes, were sick without a doctor..... you will probably not succeed in getting everyone happy, no matter what.

SUMMARY
Don't bother to understand why 3 person in a family is happy the 4. not, it's only frustrating. Let everyone live inside all kind of "good circles" and as few "bad" as possible. Provide a lot of different food, avoid all "bad things" like starvation and no coats, also right at the beginning (some Bannis never forget), build enough hospitals, let them simply have a good life and (almost?) everyone will be happy.

Gatherer

Very informative, thank you. I've read your town blogs but it's better to have all this useful info in one place.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

Tom Sawyer

That's a nice conclusion @Nilla. I found it only by your mentioning of my nick. For some reason it is not visible for guests and cannot be found in search. Maybe this tips and tricks section is hidden for normal use and not many people will read here. If so, it would be nice a modder would fix it.

Just a small note. The door is only a visual part of the model. If it seems to be the important location for overlapping happiness circles then only of houses where the door is in the middle. The game probably calculates it from the tile in center of the object including road tiles. That would mean a circle has to reach over the half of the house to have an effect.

Nilla

Hm, maybe not so good if it's bad visible. I know, that the "download section" isn't accessable, if you're not a member of this page, and that there's a section for you modder, but I didn't know, that there's also other parts of the page, that can't be seen by everyone.

Quote from: Tom Sawyer on May 31, 2018, 12:35:01 AM

Just a small note. The door is only a visual part of the model. If it seems to be the important location for overlapping happiness circles then only of houses where the door is in the middle. The game probably calculates it from the tile in center of the object including road tiles. That would mean a circle has to reach over the half of the house to have an effect.

I think the important part is the spot, where the Banni goes to eat or stay, when he's ill and there's no doctor. That seems to be at the door, but maybe it simply looks that way because most the buildings have their door in the center. If you look at the picture "circles" at one of the later entries in my blog, that house is well more than 50% inside the circles, only the center front part isn't. I also had a house where the circle from a "black building" was on the whole backside of the house, more than the half of it was covered. I saw no bad influence.

If you want to @Tom Sawyer, you can use these advice on your homepage. You can edit it if you want to. Maybe more people would read it there and try this happiness system. As you know, it´s not so easy to understand everything.

I have a request to you Tom (or some other modder), to look in the code and tell how big the happiness radii are from the vanilla buildings. I started a vanilla game yesterday with Norseman but it's difficult, when you don't know, how big the influence circles are. You can only see it from the market place, the others are hidden.

RedKetchup

there is only 1 subforum that is hidden and thats the Laboratory where we share our code and our files between us, and Tom has access to it.

there is absolutely no other subforum hidden to anyone, i swear it

but this forum has a feature, if you check at top of each section, to the right, you will see an icon " - " (minus) if you click on it, it close the section and the icon change for a " + " . if you leave and close the browser, and comeback later, it will still remember your settings and the section will still be close till you click on the " + " icon.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

No, @RedKetchup! Tom is right, if you haven´t loged in to this page, you can´t see this headline. Just checked as guest on my husband´s laptop.

Admin

Quote from: Nilla on May 31, 2018, 04:51:15 AM
No, @RedKetchup! Tom is right, if you haven´t loged in to this page, you can´t see this headline. Just checked as guest on my husband´s laptop.

Fixed. Now Guests can also see and read the Tips and Tricks board.

TBC

RedKetchup

Quote from: The Big Chihuahua on May 31, 2018, 06:07:45 AM
Quote from: Nilla on May 31, 2018, 04:51:15 AM

Fixed. Now Guests can also see and read the Tips and Tricks board.

TBC

oh that i didnt know !
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .