News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Every Nuke Sized Asteroid Strike in the Last 13 Years

Started by solarscreen, June 12, 2014, 05:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solarscreen

Remember the asteroid that exploded over Russia last year?
NO?  Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

That happens more than you think and this video documents these nuclear detonation sized strikes that have occurred just in the last 13 years.

http://vimeo.com/92478179

Video of the day: June 12th 2014

Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

rkelly17

Nice! I spend every Wednesday evening working on an HO scale model of Sudbury, Ontario. The geography and mineral wealth there is the result of a big meteor strike some millions of years ago. The remnants of such strikes are hard to see in most places because the earth has such an active crust, but they are there around the world. Just ask your neighborhood dinosaur!

salamander

Quote from: rkelly17 on June 13, 2014, 08:43:52 AM
Nice! I spend every Wednesday evening working on an HO scale model of Sudbury, Ontario.
The beauty of that area for model railroading is that you save money not having to buy the green, fuzzy stuff for trees.  ;)

rkelly17

Right, @salamader. Just lots and lots of black rocks--turned black from the acid rain. We model the 70s just after Inco built the Superstack, so in the Basin itself the tress had not yet come back. Since the Superstack started sending the acid further East, trees are back in the Sudbury Basin--though there is an area West of town where smelting was done out in the open in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and trees still won't grow there. We also have some lines that are outside the Basin and we do trees there. My personal specialty is dirt, both on the ground and on freight cars. Speaking of fanatical, we actually collect dirt from the sites, sift it down to the smallest particles and use those for scenery. Weird. If you are interested: www.wrmrc.ca

slink

When I was building some Lego dioramas, I looked into model railroading props as a possibility for tarting up my scenes.  After I was recovered, I bought some alternative plastic modelling materials to fill in.

rkelly17

I can't find the link to the website right now, but there is an artist who uses model railroading materials for sculptures. I'll keep looking.