News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Christmas already?

Started by kid1293, July 20, 2017, 12:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

I have a question that seems to be easy, but...

I am making an update to the Christmas Mod and started with a Candy Store.
I know it is rather hard to get sugar early in the game so - is it common to
replace sugar against honey? I mean, of course you could use honey.
I want the Christmas Mod to be easy/comfortable/fun/nice and sugar does
not fit in. Flour at the baker is not the same. It is available from many sources.

edit - I ask another way. Is it possible to boil down honey so that it crystallizes?

brads3

good question. you could search history on that. i have a maple syrup boiler that boils syrup down all the way into sugar,via CC. as for historically correct,it might be.you do have sugar in the colonial set from sugarbeeets too.

RedKetchup

personally i would go with honey, no matters of historial facts just cause it would be nice to see honey to get another use :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

khemari

Lots of recipes for honey candy on Google - it seems to crystallize the same as sugar.

Great use of honey in the game!  :P

kid1293

Yeah, honey is easily available, so I think I go for that.

@brads3 - does CC have a sugar boiler?

brads3

yes that is what it is called.. it boil sap to syrup and then syrup to sugar.or makes sugar from sugar cane or sugar beets.i keep thinking there is another 1 too.

RedKetchup

oh sugar !
honey, honey.

You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you

:)

kid1293

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 20, 2017, 02:21:02 PM
oh sugar !
honey, honey.

You are my candy girl
And you got me wanting you

:)

:D

grammycat

Honey can be dried into granules which can be used in baking-found it at Wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey
So I think honey would be great to give it another use ingame and because it's historically correct.

ancientmuse

Honey was a very common sweetener for candies and baking back in the day.... sugar was hard to come by and wasn't even available in large parts of the world.

Honey was not only more easily and readily available, it was also way way cheaper too (free if you raised your own honey bees).

I use honey instead of sugar in most sweet things that I make just simply for the fact that it's a lot healthier than granulated sugar.

kid1293

Thanks all! I couldn't find it myself and @ancientmuse - I also prefer honey
because it tastes so good.

kid1293

Another question.
Does anyone have a deco cow?

I mean a model not a mod.

RedKetchup

bah you can take the cows in red creamery:cow and just delete the animation. it will become a deco one.

taniu

@kid1293 :)Sweets of Middle Ages in Europe. Curiosity
Sweets and desserts[edit]
The term "dessert" comes from the Old French desservir, "to clear a table", literally "to un-serve", and originated during the Middle Ages. It would typically consist of dragées and mulled wine accompanied by aged cheese, and by the Late Middle Ages could also include fresh fruit covered in sugar, honey or syrup and boiled-down fruit pastes. Sugar, from its first appearance in Europe, was viewed as much as a drug as a sweetener; its long-lived medieval reputation as an exotic luxury encouraged its appearance in elite contexts accompanying meats and other dishes that to modern taste are more naturally savoury. There was a wide variety of fritters, crêpes with sugar, sweet custards and darioles, almond milk and eggs in a pastry shell that could also include fruit and sometimes even bone marrow or fish.[10] German-speaking areas had a particular fondness for krapfen: fried pastries and dough with various sweet and savory fillings. Marzipan in many forms was well known in Italy and southern France by the 1340s and is assumed to be of Arab origin.[105] Anglo-Norman cookbooks are full of recipes for sweet and savory custards, potages, sauces and tarts with strawberries, cherries, apples and plums. The English chefs also had a penchant for using flower petals such as roses, violets, and elder flowers. An early form of quiche can be found in Forme of Cury, a 14th-century recipe collection, as a Torte de Bry with a cheese and egg yolk filling.[106]
In northern France, a wide assortment of waffles and wafers was eaten with cheese and hypocras or a sweet malmsey as issue de table ("departure from the table"). The ever-present candied ginger, coriander, aniseed and other spices were referred to as épices de chambre ("parlor spices") and were taken as digestibles at the end of a meal to "close" the stomach.[107] Like their Muslim counterparts in Spain, the Arab conquerors of Sicily introduced a wide variety of new sweets and desserts that eventually found their way to the rest of Europe. Just like Montpellier, Sicily was once famous for its comfits, nougat candy (torrone, or turrón in Spanish) and almond clusters (confetti). From the south, the Arabs also brought the art of ice cream making that produced sorbet and several examples of sweet cakes and pastries; cassata alla Siciliana (from Arabic qas'ah, the term for the terra cotta bowl with which it was shaped), made from marzipan, sponge cake and sweetened ricotta and cannoli alla Siciliana, originally cappelli di turchi ("Turkish hats"), fried, chilled pastry tubes with a sweet cheese filling.[108] :P

kid1293

@taniu - You are making me glad with all that information.
I will try to make something special this Christmas.

Candy Shop done.
Christmas pub half done. Will ask @embx61 nicely for his grapes
and we can all have mulled wine done with my spices.
More to come.

@RedKetchup - Thanks for the cow! :)