News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Shacking up in boarding houses

Started by kee, September 01, 2014, 09:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kee

Just tried a little experiment with boarding houses: No normal housing allowed. (OK, I cheated a bit, to keep them warm through the first winter I threw together a wooden house while the first boarding house was under construction. Demolished first spring). Now here's the take: It seems that the first generation in this little commune hippied it away like anything, producing quite a litter of flowerchildren but there it ended. No friggin way was there going to be any sweet music with mom listening at the door. So I erected yet an other boarding house- but since the first one wasn't filled up nobody wanted to move in. Ooookay, 'demolish' first house, see what happens. Nothing. Families kept together, Italian style. Hmpf. Well then, let's evict everyone and then open up both houses simultaneously. Whoa, presto! I swear the screen was having rytmic fits!
Edited to add the right screenshot.
Kim Erik

graphite

Interesting ... and without a hemp crop ;)

kee

Wouldn't want them to sit around remarking how groovy those swimming deer are. Of course, said crop could help in some advanced bondage sessions as well, but that is not something I think these banishims would do with mom in the next room.
Kim Erik

A Nonny Moose

Duly noted.  Seems they can't even find haystacks.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

mariesalias

Yeah, you have to evict them to get the adult children to pair up.

A Nonny Moose

Actually, I just dangle a shack and let them move out without coercion.  There is a high demand for shacks.
Go not to the oracle, for it will say both yea and nay.

[Gone, but not forgotten. Rest easy, you are no longer banished.]
https://www.haskettfh.com/winterton-john-hensall/

mariesalias

Ah, I thought you were referring to them living in boarding houses only.

kee

Well, that's what I was talking about, but things soon got out of hand. As is the very nature of the internet phylum of course.
Kim Erik

mariesalias

I am nothing if not observant! ;P

I like to use boarding houses but I can't imagine trying to only use them.

slink

I tried it once, posted the results on SRS forum, and got recognition from someone for, I believe, originality.   :P  I thought it made sense as a method of birth control, generating only one child per couple because that is what happens when you put couples in boarding houses.  My results were the same as the OP.  I wonder if two-family houses are actually possible?

Houses have this description:

ResidenceDescription residence
{
   int _maxApartments = 1;
   int _maxOccupants = 5;

while boarding houses have this description:

ResidenceDescription residence
{
   int _maxApartments = 5;
   int _maxOccupants = 5;

I wonder what increasing maxOccupants would do.

RedKetchup

if you are making some duplex, or triplex .... of course you can put 2 familly and 3 familly :)
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

slink

Quote from: RedKetchup on September 04, 2014, 10:30:42 AM
if you are making some duplex, or triplex .... of course you can put 2 familly and 3 familly :)
Yes, but will their grown children move into another apartment?

RedKetchup

bah if the 2nd floor is free... they will move to the 2nd floor , or if there is also a basement, and its free ... they will move. but the problem i foresee with it, you know very well how the game is intended to not let any house/appartment free ? divorces and breaking familly happends all the time, so if the 2nd floor is free, be sure a familly will breakout and the poor guy, as usual, will be kicked out and will have to pickup this new appartment ^^

but if you do, you will certainly be able to achieve 5000 pop on a small map :)

slink

Except how are you going to designate the second floor as separate from the first floor?  Hostels (the game's name for boarding houses) have 5 apartments, but people stop breeding once they have one child and they don't leave home when they are grown up.

MaxOccupants may be the answer.

RedKetchup

MaxOccupant will define how many child they can get ? where are the famillies with 8, 10, 12 oh god 14 children ?? like back in my mother's or father's familly ?