News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

My tips

Started by grykon, January 11, 2019, 05:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grykon

Greetings everyone, if you are on the Banished Nation FB page, then you will probably have seen these tips I wrote up, so sorry about that. Hopefully someone hasn't and maybe they will help...

One thing in all my playing I tried being minimal on farmers...8x8 only 1 farmer, 15x15 only 2, sometimes 3...There is no such thing as too many farmers. Especially bigger then 8x8 plots. In the start to try and get as many jobs going as possible, but as soon as you can, use as many farmers as you can. I've posted several times about the massive die offs I have experienced through starvation. Since increasing my farmers after the last one I haven't lost 1 bannie to starvation. Try not to grow too much of 1 type of crop in an area as it makes it storage harder.

Herbalists, I have found it is best to only have 1 herbalist per hut...this helps cut down over picking herbs in that area. Also, don't be afraid to buy herbs from traders! Especially if it will put you in over load and your herbalists take a break to help with repopulating the herbs.

LOTS of vendors! As your town grows and spreads out, lots of vendors helps bring goods from far away to your market(s) at this point since I am about 80% use of my land I have like 10 vendors per market. This also helps in starvation and health issues from dietary.

Trading posts...Build trading posts close to agriculture centers so when barns are full, you can transfer food to the posts as extra storage, also keeps lots of traders for each post, I fluctuate between 5 to 10 traders, depending on how far I expect them to travel to get goods. I seldom trade food for things, if I am heavy on say cabbage, I will trade cabbage for food I am not heavy with like peaches. I try to stock all my alcohol in my traders, it has a good price break and I try to buy stuff like coal, coats, tools and firewood with it.

Crops...Balance your early and late crops. Green beans are harvested earlier then Squash, your later crops you should have an extra farmer or 2 on to try and make sure the field is cleared before you start losing crops to the cold.

Workforce...Laborers...You want to keep an ample supply of laborers...If you got 1000 bannies in all other jobs, you should have at least 500 laborers...cause when old age hits...you need the replacements! Your students should be about 250 and your kids about 300 in this case to try and keep up with demand and then when the old age die offs stop, you can replenish your laborers. If the die off is really bad, I try and take from my miners and stone workers first, lowering the count of builders, then I start looking at traders and farmers, hopefully you recover before you get to them.

If possible, keep a full pasture open...that way if you get a pasture with an infestation, you can immediately transfer the cattle from the infected to the empty and not lose any cattle and it ends the infestation fast!

I got this one section of the map that has like 8 plum tree farms. Last night was the 2nd time since I started this town that I had an infestation hit and it swarmed all the farms...As normal I immediately tell them to cut down the trees. Took forever to get them all cut down, so bad that several farms that finished faster started replanting got infected! So after getting it all cleared and cleaned out I moved on. Right after the farms started producing plums again I got another infestation. I had a bright idea and just destroyed that farm. Laid a new farm over it and the problem was over fast and all the other farms got to keep producing, so if you get an infestation and you need a quick resolution...just destroy the farm!

Build a small pasture to act as a holding pen, that way if a trader brings a live stock you want but don't have a full size pasture set up, it'll give you a place to keep them until it's built and you won't lose any, I lost 16 pigs waiting for the new pasture to be built.

Also I've found if you want a huge pasture orchard or crop field do not just outline the site you want, instead use the harvest all tool, the bannies will harvest the resources and clear the land MUCH faster, anything more than about 15x15. It takes FOREVER especially the further from the town it is.

On that last bit, I did some timing tests on that last idea...and I found that it really doesn't matter how big an area is, if there is a lot of stuff to clear before it can be built, it is much faster to just use the remove all tool first, then lay down the farm, orchard, pasture.

Hope you find some value in my thoughts here!

Happy building!
Tim

RedKetchup

@grykon  Thanks you for sharing
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

HannyaCro

Tricky1664

Many thanks for an informative post.

moonbelf

All good tips, thank you

Tar4Myst