News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Mark's Ramblings

Started by MarkAnthony, August 31, 2019, 02:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAnthony

Some times I talk to myself. I think it's a normal thing to do, I also think it's helps me to concentrate more on whatever is on my mind.  I'm sure none of you talk to yourself though. Only weird people do that right?  ::)

I thought I'd put up a post for me to say whatever inconsequential things pops into my head and I'll probably just use this spot here to also ask my questions to the general populace. I ask questions a lot and I really do hate bothering people via PM's (private messages). This will be one of those posts where you can just ignore it 99% of the time if you see it in your "Unread Topics" listing, unless you wish to join me here to see what's up.   :)

Today right now, I got about an hour+ before I have to start my 4pm to 11:45pm shift at work. I started a new Necora-based game. Not only does it have Nat Div and New Flora but this time I also thought I'd try out Lush & Green for the first time. So far, I think everything meshed well together but I will know for sure later on.

Anyhow, what I wanted to say was "Gotcha!" or well, at least that is what I did say. This map I am on now started off with two nine year old children so it was a race to get a School built in time. When I did, barely... that's the word that I spat out, "Gotcha!" meaning I got those kids a school to go to before they could run off and become a bunch of unruly brats!

Do you ever say "Gotcha!" when you try to race the kids? I just did, and it felt right at the time!
Sometimes it's the very people who no one imagines anything of
        who do the things no one can imagine.

MarkAnthony

So I am trying out Discrepancy's DS Industry Mining Beta (DSIM) again right now. I haven't even started the game clock yet (so to speak); right now I am just carefully choosing which structures to start with. Emphasis on the word carefully! Because of the more in-depth and longer production chains and the increased value of finished metals in DSIM I need to make sure I am starting off as smart and as cheaply as possible so as to not waste any of that precious metal! So I am going through all of the toolbar buttons trying my best to pick the right stuff to start off with.

Right now I am trying to find me a Seed and Livestock trader to use because I am starting off with a harder start and don't get any to begin with. When I play big themed mods like DSIM, RKEC, North, Maritimes etc., I like to include other mods for support with storage, carts/wagons, specialized traders, some form of tiny mod to get me a cheap stats building and also some additional housing choices. In this game my choices for traders are either DS Thompson Trade Merchants, Vanilla's version, or the versions from the Specialized Traders mod. Well, DS Thompson Trade Merchants requires five different materials three of which are tier two materials - meh... maybe I'll wait on that one. So I then looked at the other two versions from Vanilla and the Specialized Traders mod. Only three materials needed for either, the standard Log, Stone and Iron. Great! Let's do that! Wait... what?:o 40 Iron?  :o You gotta be kiddin' me! I can't afford 40 of my "Precious"!!!  :P

I think I will be going with DS Thompson's version since it only requires 13 Iron but it's construction will have to wait a bit longer than I had hoped since I have to get those tier two materials first. I gotta be stingy and pick my battles!  :P

brads3

good luck. word of advise is to always have a backup WinData folder  FULL copy of the last known working mod order. i not only crashed my game, i have broken it. it will be a few more days just to solve what is going on and fix it.the computer gremlins are in their mood to fight and they are winning.

MarkAnthony

Good luck to you actually Brad, I'll be fine. I have my Banished DRM-Free install file, my mod collection, and my ModMan profiles tucked away for safe-keeping. I'm good, thanks though.

As for you though, you do realize that a mod cannot break the game, right? I mean, none of them can access the core game files or the Windows Registry itself. So you should concentrate on whatever other outside influences you have going on.

• I don't recall if you use Steam or not to play, I'll assume you don't. If you did, uninstall and re-install Steam then patch it fully.
  • I would then completely delete the entire Banished registry entry, it will get rebuilt on a new launch of the game from the .exe file.
  • I doubt you have a computer virus, but you should at least do a malware scan on your system while you're checking everything else.
  • Check your firewalls and router connections to make sure they're locked up tight. I know the game isn't played online but since you may or may not be doing malware/virus scans in your process of elimination you may as well check that you have your doors locked up too!
  • Didn't you also mention that you too sometimes do the multiple-game installs of Banished like TheOnlyWanderer does? Maybe you had a hiccup in that area and got things all BorKEd! (f'd up!)
I don't know what else to suggest but I am confident you'll get it all sorted out. Wait until you are not stressed out before you try to tackle all of this. You could make things worse ripping through everything when you get all frustrated!  I speak from experience.   :D                

brads3

no steam. yep i deleted the registry bout 4 times. my game won't play for 1 month. spent time today trying to narrow down what is going on load and let it  run. soon as it gets to spring it crashes.  it is a struggle to solve when the gremlins get this crazy. like a nightmare.

i scraped 4 days of work this morning and started over. went back to the zoo configuration just to get the game to run to spring. then reloaded a full copy of a windata folder that i had backed up.started weeding files without changing any order. total fail. then started over weeding a few files at a time, to narrow down which 1 or 1's are causing the crash. down to about 3 or 4 files. but it still is weird. seems to play 1 time and the next crashes.

my order has been good for a long time. when it does this,it can be fun to find the issues.costs way too much time and brain cells. been almost a week since i actually played the game. i figure i'll be another 2 days wrestling gremlins.maybe by the weekend,i can start a map.  that is the danger of using any mods together. every now and then they can give fits.

MarkAnthony

What's with you and "Gremlins"? Did you get one wet? You're not supposed to get them wet, that's what the movie in the 80's taught us! Is that why they bother you so much?   :D

This is "Gremlins 101" circa 1985 -- The three important rules that must never be broken: Do not expose the Mogwai to bright lights or sunlight which will kill it; do not let it come in contact with water; and never feed it after midnight!  Otherwise --> this happens!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1AvALOphoaWbxeRa/giphy.gif

MarkAnthony

I did a restart on my DSIM Beta.05 game this morning. Last night's first run got to about 60-ish population at 2x game speed. I decided I wanted to switch up the mods a bit so a restart was required; besides the DS Thompson Seed Trader was being uncooperative and I ended up getting a starvation die-off at this point of 12 perished Banies.

So I am at the initial "What should I start off with?" phase of this new game and I looking through my toolbar buttons for the right choices of structures to start with and also laying down roads to divide up the area into subsections (housing, farming, business, industrial, etc,.) Then I went and deleted all of those roads except for the T-sections. I start my games this way about half the time I think.

So I got all my roads for the settlement area and a bit further out laid down, then deleted them like I said leaving the T-sections in place. Then I decided to change the type of road I used. I initially laid the roads out using the Vanilla Dirt Road option like I normally do 99% of the time but I decided to switch to Necora's PEI Dirt Road (red dirt from the Maritimes Decorations mod); I decided to go with red dirt roads because this is an industrial-themed game. Please ignore the fact that I am using the Lush and Green mod; I live in Arizona and all I see is dirt and gravel everywhere, I'm sick of it - More Grass Please!!!  :P Anyways, so I selected the PEI Dirt Road and clicked on one of the T-sections I had laid with the Vanilla Dirt Road and as soon as I clicked one tile of the Vanilla Dirt Road something strange happened that I've never seen before. ALL of my Vanilla Dirt Roads changed to the red color!  Weird ehh?  :o I mean... I've never seen that happen before and it was actually a happy accident in the sense that I didn't mind... it saved me time changing all the Dirt Road tiles.

EDIT: I forgot to attach the screenshot. That one tile where the yellow arrow is is the one I clicked on to start changing the road type, then they turned red everywhere else too.

brads3

did you get the 1.05 pine mod to work with the RK EC in any way? it appears i somehow replaced the 1.04 pine mod with the 1.05. it actually worked with the setup i had, unti i tried to remove other mods.so that may be part of my problem.

MarkAnthony

I played Necora's Maritimes mods three different ways:

• by themselves;
  • combined with North;
  • and with a mixture of DS Mods + Kids + Red's (w/o RKEC).
I never tried it with RKEC, at least I don't recall doing so.               

MarkAnthony

I haven't resumed my DSIM game from last night yet since I have been doing chores around the house this morning. I am having a lunch break right now and as I eat I am re-organizing my ModMan profiles.

Like anyone else using ModMan I have a profile for every flavor of the game I play. While I often do make profiles for each game I play (because I may change a few mods here and there between games), when those games are done I make a folder for that specific game that includes the saved game files, screenshots, and my ModMan profile specifically used for that game. When everything is put away my ModMan always looks like the first image below.

Image #1 below shows the themed setups I have pre-made such as RKEC or DS or North or Maritimes etc. After I decide what theme I will be playing for the day, I load that pre-made theme and then add a few additional mods for extra flavor.

But above all those "themed" profiles are two others at the very top: Up To Date Current Mod Order and Base Profile. The Up To Date Current Mod Order is just as it sounds. It's a blank (no mods selected) list of every mod I have in my WinData folder and they are sorted according to category: UI mods, utility mods, patch mods, music and sound mods, tweak mods and so on and then the main mods; then below all of that the mods are grouped by specific modder. Every mod in this list is in perfect mod order so that no matter what is selected for use in a game, it's in a good order so that there are no conflicts and everything works perfectly. The only exception is Natural Diversity (Nat Div) because if I play using Necora's Maritimes theme then I have to relocate it below Necora's mods. The Necora Game profile of course already puts Nat Div where it needs to be.

Image #2 below shows how my mods are grouped by category as an example. It's an older version, not what I am using now. Anyhow...

The Base Profile is always in tandem with the Up To Date Current Mod Order profile; meaning whenever I update the Up To Date Current Mod Order profile, the Base Profile gets updated too at the same time so that the mod order is always matching. What the Base Profile is is a pre-selected set of mods that I have in just about every game I play, like 99.999997% of the time. When I am ready to start a new game but am not sure what theme if any I will use, I load this Base Profile that has those pre-selected mods I use in every game and then just willy-nilly like, add some other mods for flavor.

Image #3 shows my Base Profile.

All said above... that's a mouthful way of saying... I just love @JM 's ModMan!

Back to work!

MarkAnthony

If you noticed I had @RedKetchup 's goats and piggies added for every game in my Base Profile -- it's because well... who doesn't like baby goats?  ;D And obviously... bacon is life!   8)

Red keep's turning down my mod requests; he's been really busy lately working on his Rise of the Pharaoh set so I don't take it personally, but I'd love to see Red do a version of his goats with different colored pajamas on!   ::) :P

Kristahfer

You forgot the little pen for baby goats, 'cause every little kiddie in the town will want one ! ;D 
Quote from: MarkAnthony on September 05, 2019, 12:06:03 PM
If you noticed I had @RedKetchup 's goats and piggies added for every game in my Base Profile -- it's because well... who doesn't like baby goats?  ;D  And obviously... bacon is life!   8) 

MarkAnthony

So I got five games going at the same time:

• An older RKEC + DS mix
  • My first Necora's Maritimes game
  • The DSIM Beta v.05 that I'm writing about
  • The DSIM Beta v.05 (stripped down version) that I began last night
  • And now I'm headed back to Egypt to see what Red's been up to! (To be started soon)
All I know is if I don't start keeping notes with my saved game files, I'd have no clue what I was doing within them the last time I played! That is the biggest reason why I play so many games; I take a break from one, go back to it later on but I've forgotten everything about it so then I just trash it.

On my way to Egypt, Red! I won't begin playing right now but I will take a stroll and check out the landscape and more excitingly, the goodies in the toolbars!   :P

Here's my setup for ROTP Beta 2 - the Bare Bones mod setup! All I added were goats, just in case there wasn't any available and of course @kid1293 's new Small Town Hall... gotta have the cheat-sheet!  :P

I wanted to add your RK Carts too but I wasn't sure if you already had some included. Carts were very much a part of that lifestyle and time period. Thinking you would include some carts, I didn't load the mod. Don't let me down Red!  :D

MarkAnthony

Cool new @RedKetchup Community button for RotP, Red - the Egyptian Eye!   :)

Just wondering about your arrangement of the gathering buttons: Is there a reason the Collect Iron Ore and Collect Stones are not next to the first three similar types: Collect Almost All, Collect Copper Ore, Collect Tin Ore? Just curious.

Wow Red! I really like your new home, that lavish looking hostel, and your storage barns and markets! Great job on those, really! That large market and hostel are just fantastic! And your mud pit! I just want to play in it! haha

Looks great Red, weird seeing the unchanged Vanilla stuff in it but I can't wait to try it out.  Is there a terrain and climate group you like best and is there a terrain and climate group you would like us to test this with?

Here's my randomly picked setup:

EDIT: No carts though, I'm gonna have to load those or you're gonna have to stop me! Muahaha! :P

RedKetchup

i let the remove tools there for the moment and will see. people can maybe put this mod second on the list and choose to get iron..... it is not good for the moment to delete those. it made some complications in beta 1.

please report anything unusual. no preferences.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .