News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Nilla- Bowmorettown

Started by Nilla, February 06, 2019, 06:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid1293

Appropriate for kids  ;)

Nice views. Short and well written. I suppose the bear is also happy. :)

I didn't say before. Congrats on grandchild!

Tonje

I prefer stories where kids playing with bears don't get eaten. Thank you!

Nilla

Thanks! My grandson is a bit young yet to listen to stories. But the time runs much too fast, so it will not take long. He develops and grows between each time we see him. (only 4 months old, lives 2 hours car ride away) If the end of the bear in the story was happy, I don't know. Shortly after the last screenshot, I saw him swim away over the lake. It was before I got the idea of writing a story, so I made no screenshot and I didn't follow where he went. So it's up everyone's imagination to figure out what happened. Occasionally I see a bear on the outskirt of the town, maybe it's him. From time to time the hunters bring bear meat. I hope it's not our pet bear. There are still huge untouched forests on this map, maybe he lives there without ever getting close to the settlement. It's up to you.

I've stopped my experiment of registering all the inhabitants. It was interesting but tedious. I counted the living inhabitants one last time. It makes fun to follow the bloodlines. In this settlement, each boy gets the name of the father, each girl the name of the mother. The names of the initial 2 settlers were Asp and Björk. Around year 20 a nomad family named Citron and Dadel joined the settlement. After that nomads have moved in 3 times about every 5th year.

After 35 years we had 150 inhabitants with the following names:
Asp; 36
Björk; 14
Citron; 8
Dadel; 40 (!!!!)
Ek; 6
Fur; 2
Gran; 4
Hägg; 4
Idegran; 2
Julgran; 4  ( :-[sorry Swedish speaking people, didn´t find a real tree starting with J)
Kastanj; 3
Lönn; 4
Mandel; 1 (one old man, so this family will die out)
Nordmansgran; 4
The rest are the latest nomad families.

I find it astonishing how dominant the male Asp and female Dadel are and that the first nomad woman has more female offspring that the initial settlers.

First picture
Sorry, ugly picture. But I have some questions to @RedKetchup:
I've built a Theatre (and an Old Barn Pub). If I understand it right the tickets and the meals are used by the inhabitants like alcohol for (less influential) happiness (unless I use @Tom Sawyer ´s Norseman). But why do the tickets land here? Do the apothecary have any function other than produce potions? Can he use the tickets? Can the potions be used by the Bannis or are they export only?

Second picture
I've expanded the settlement north and made a second working forest, some pasture and an "industrial area".

Third picture
Here's a closeup on the latest industry. I'm pretty sure, you already know @RedKetchup, that all different kind of weapons are called only weapon. I have no real production numbers yet, but it looks reasonable profitable.

Fourth picture
I just saw this. Is this our bear showing his offspring the settlement of the humans?

One question to the meadows. I don't fully remember, but I find there are fewer flowers than it used to be. The output of the florist isn't very high; something between 50 and 100. In my memory, it used to be higher. The output of thatch is high, average double as much as the florist for 1 forester. One more thing; if you clear an area of forest, it doesn't look like any grass or flowers grows unless you build a thatch forester. I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice, if slowly some flowers and thatch would grow there.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on February 12, 2019, 06:58:34 AM
Sorry, ugly picture. But I have some questions to @RedKetchup:
I've built a Theatre (and an Old Barn Pub). If I understand it right the tickets and the meals are used by the inhabitants like alcohol for (less influential) happiness (unless I use @Tom Sawyer ´s Norseman). But why do the tickets land here? Do the apothecary have any function other than produce potions? Can he use the tickets? Can the potions be used by the Bannis or are they export only?

yup exactly, it serves as same thing as vanilla alcohol for the few output if it really count or not. using Tom's mod will count more.
i tried to boost the fodder cause fodder farm wasnt getting much... but i can maybe boost the flowers a bit.
one of the potion of apothecary also act the same way, they all use the new "consume" limit. this is why you can get tickets in apothecary. till we can target raw materials... we need to deal with flags.

Here's a closeup on the latest industry. I'm pretty sure, you already know @RedKetchup, that all different kind of weapons are called only weapon. I have no real production numbers yet, but it looks reasonable profitable.

yeah these are typo errors already fixed. thanks though!

One question to the meadows. I don't fully remember, but I find there are fewer flowers than it used to be. The output of the florist isn't very high; something between 50 and 100. In my memory, it used to be higher. The output of thatch is high, average double as much as the florist for 1 forester. One more thing; if you clear an area of forest, it doesn't look like any grass or flowers grows unless you build a thatch forester. I don't know if it's possible but it would be nice, if slowly some flowers and thatch would grow there.

if i add grass to the forests zone, it happended i noticed there were almost no more spot for food to spawn. so i had to keep the space available.

> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Nilla

I didn´t play so much yesterday but I have noticed a couple of things, that maybe need to be this way, but still bother me a bit.

First picture
The first years the gatherers collected a lot of different berries and other food. Now it´s only the usual vanilla stuff, oats and firewood. Why do the other disappear? It´s a pity when you made the effort of making them there from the start.

Second picture
I´ve noticed, that hops is labelled as "herbs". I don´t think I´m so fond of that. First, it messes the herb limit up. Normally I don´t need much herbs in my settlements but I want to have a small amount if needed and I use the herb limit not to overfill the barns. Now I can´t do it that way. Second, after I´ve built this market for supply and goods all hops lands here. Instead of filling it with needed firewood, the vendor carries the hops away from the breweries to this far away market.

I know it needs to be labelled somehow, and I also know that there´s a limited number of flags. The only alternative I can see is unedible food (I think malt is labelled that way). But maybe that would make the production of the profitable strong beer easier and you might not want that.

If it´s kept as "herb", it would be good to have a cart for herbs along with the others. This way you could try to get some hops in that cart and not everything in the far away shop.

This picture also shows my production numbers. I produce a lot of export goods (and are planning more in my new industrial area) but as it is now, I really don´t need to buy anything. I´ve decided not to expand any food production at the moment, so I will need some food import.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on February 13, 2019, 09:01:23 AM
First picture
The first years the gatherers collected a lot of different berries and other food. Now it´s only the usual vanilla stuff, oats and firewood. Why do the other disappear? It´s a pity when you made the effort of making them there from the start.

all the other food are spawned by the flowers, if you asked to remove all the flowers in that zone.... you fired yourself a ball in the feet.

Quote from: Nilla on February 13, 2019, 09:01:23 AM
The only alternative I can see is unedible food (I think malt is labelled that way).

the unedible food flag doesnt exist. unedible mean absence of edible. i took herbs cause when i researched on hops, they said this plant have energetic and medicinal properties.

Artfactial

You make lovely use of the NMT tiered houses.:)
Making those little courtyards is so satisfying.

Nilla

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 13, 2019, 09:22:24 AM
all the other food are spawned by the flowers, if you asked to remove all the flowers in that zone.... you fired yourself a ball in the feet.

OK, I understand, that´s nice. But I didn´t actually cut the flowers, the forester did. (I admit; I built the forester, so I guess, I´m guilty.  :-[ ) If I understand it right, if you put a gatherer without a forester in an original forest, you´ll get all kind of berries and food for longer. I looked a bit carefully and I see some berry bushes in my meadow. You say they spawn on flowers, that would probably mean, that if I build a gatherer in my meadow, together with the florist, who pick the flowers, there will be a poor harvest. Maybe I´ll try it anyway.

Quote from: RedKetchup on February 13, 2019, 09:22:24 AM
the unedible food flag doesnt exist. unedible mean absence of edible. i took herbs cause when i researched on hops, they said this plant have energetic and medicinal properties.
I´m confused. What about malt? How is it labelled here? I thought it was inedible food; it´s stored in the grocery shop but the Bannis don´t carry it into their houses.

Quote from: Artfactial on February 14, 2019, 12:41:16 AM
You make lovely use of the NMT tiered houses.:)
Making those little courtyards is so satisfying.
Thank, you. I like to play around with different possibilities. These NMT buildings give you so many options. You have probably noticed, I´m not the "designing", "city builder" kind of player. I´m more the engineering kind of person; I find beauty in efficiency. But it´s not hard to build a nice looking (and efficient) settlement with this mod.

So @RedKetchup, you know me; even if I seem to complain all the time, it´s no real complaints, just thoughts. This mod is great! I like it very much! You need no survival skills, it´s easy to produce all basic needs. I thought, maybe that would make me bored after a while but NO! This complexity of production sites makes its own challenge. Different and fun! And if I want a surviving challenge, I can play a Nordic Ironman. ;)

First picture
I don´t think I´ve shown this area after it´s (more or less) finished. I wanted to build something like a medieval block with narrow, winding alleys. I think it could look really nice, to build this way also a bit bigger; not in square blocks, more like a maze.

Second picture
Expanded industrial area. I´m not sure, that the people like the mine in the courtyard, but at least they mustn´t walk far to work! Note all the idlers on the cemetery.  :-\

RedKetchup

gatherers can be put everywhere, not restricted to forest nods i made my best to spreading everything away.
in fact in one of my test someday, if you can have a zone with full of trees and full of flowers, no grass and no herbs.... you can get a 4k food gatherer hut w/ 4 workers.

malt is grain only with no edible flag

Nilla

I haven´t played so much lately but a lot has happened the few years I´ve played. I like very much, that I need to adapt my playing strategies to the situation.

First and second picture
In a normal game, I use to store a lot of food, I admit; too much. As I´ve said before, it´s not hard to produce a lot of food in this game, but I have decided to follow the advice I (and many other experienced players) give to new players: keep the food stores 100*population, firewood 10*population, clothes and tools 1* population. But at this stage of the game, it was no good advice. I noticed, that it took very long to fill the grocery stores in the new parts of the settlement. As I looked around in my barns, I saw that there´s almost no food there. I have quite a few grocery stores and markets, the vendors are very diligent, so it wasn´t much left for the new vendors.

Last year I decided to increase food production. For some years I have produced about 10k less food than needed. I produce so much export stuff, that needs to go away. This year I will produce more food than consumption, and buy some. My goal is now at least 200* population. We´ll see if it works better.

Third picture
I liked the random mine the first time I tried it. It´s really ingenious, a challenge to use the material in a good way. Now there are even more options! :)

First I was a bit careless, using the foundries to make gold and silver (and some iron) to test the best options in the new sites. I noticed, there was tons of copper ore on the piles; so change to copper. Now I must decide what I want to do with the copper. I must also take care of all iron ore. LIKE IT!

I made a mistake. To get firewood good distributed over the place, I want to increase the production as well. So, I built more choppers. As I started this one, I didn´t notice that the default setting is firewood from thatch. As I looked at the store on the screenshot, I wanted to post here, I saw that there´s almost no thatch left. So soon my horses will have nothing to eat.  :'(  @RedKetchup, wouldn´t it be better to have logs as default at the chopper?

RedKetchup

no because people arent able to open the little menu and see it they can do that ! same as the blacksmith. all the time before they were placed at make iron [3 ores] nobody was able to do the first 5 mins of the game : how i do smelt iron if the iron foundry need irons and i have none??

Nilla

Yes, that´s a point! And I have myself to blame not to take care.

RedKetchup

Quote from: Nilla on February 16, 2019, 07:35:32 AM
Yes, that´s a point! And I have myself to blame not to take care.

so this is why i decided the rule: "let player know that thing exist" was more important, here, than select the most evident item by default.

Nilla

:( :'(
This is a bugged game!

I should have restarted it as soon as I noticed, that the merchants turned back the wrong way, went to the end of the map, turned and passed the settlement. It's a known bug, that occasionally happens and it looks like if there's one bug the next will come as well. This is also a bug, that I have had before but only in very large games with several thousands of inhabitants, never in such a small game: no couple wants to move into a new (or free house when someone dies). Occasionally a couple separates and one of them moves into the empty house, the other becomes homeless and the old house becomes empty. After some time however, the empty houses are occupied by new couples but all in all, everything is mixed up and you get a lot of houses with single adults. No fun!

I have no idea what triggers this. It's not the mod. I saw it late in my largest unmodded game, too.

I have started to make notes about the production numbers. But the most interesting; the large metal chain depending on the random mine is hard to calculate, especially after such a short time. My feeling is that the chain is reasonable profitable; it's more profitable to make jewels than weapon and armour, that's more profitable than furniture. But the amount of gems is limited, so the jewel chain isn't overpowered. It's more profitable to produce the most expensive product in each plant but there's also a limited amount of gold and silver. This makes it very interesting. Very interesting to use all these random products in the best way. I do want to play another game and look more into it.

I haven't tried to order any of these raw materials. If it's possible to import the more expensive raw materials, I guess it would be very profitable.

I've also produced beer and strong beer. If you only look at the brewery, it's too profitable. (Each beer a profit of 7, 500 each year gives an annual profit of 3500 for 1 worker. If you manage the logistic, strong beer gives even more) But if you count in the less profitable production of malt and hops, the total chain is more reasonable. And besides, you never know how much your inhabitants drink. The problem is, that it's easy to import malt and hops. Maybe @RedKetchup, it would be possible to reduce the amount the merchants bring, something like flowers, that I have tried to buy.

I've also tried the other new products; pottery, cured leather, shoes, boots, potions. Again I have no real numbers but all of them make sense to produce, if you have the raw material but they are not so profitable, that it gives a major contribution to support your population. I find this good. I like when it makes sense to process material you have without a huge profit.

One question @RedKetchup, how long does it take until you publish your next version of this mod? As I've said, I like the mod and would like to try it once more.

RedKetchup

you have way too many housing when you need none of them :P

patch 1.3 is not ready yet. i am still working everyday on it. i maybe dont work 12-16hrs a day ... but everyday an hour or 2...
i want 1.3 to be the very last one and then pass to something else like rotp