News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Some odd things

Started by uncajoe, March 28, 2019, 11:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncajoe

Hello.  I've been playing the game a long time and usually have no problems. 
BUT..., here are some items I've recently encountered and have no solution/explanation for:
1) Maximum food ends at 999,999.  That game went along nicely anyway, but I found no way to get around it.  Apparently food production just stops there, and so does the game.
2) Everybody works....except Builders.  They just don't do anything after my game reaches a certain (unknown) point.  I've tried suggestion on the Steam forum, but nothing works.
3) In the current game, which I'm going to abandon, there is the Builder problem mentioned above, plus everything moves exceedingly slowly.  Population over 2,500 so maybe that's it. Possibly my computer has reached its limit (Intel i5 6500 CPU, 3.2GHz, 16 GB Ram, 64 bit).  Don't know.
A solution would be nice but is not really critical at this point; I'm just curious to know if these things are common.

RedKetchup

everything is common except your builders problem.

builders are extremly sensitive to the priority tool. they often go do roads in wait a very new "prioritized" construction site has all the materials.

example to help understand i try to say... :

you place an hunter cabin somewhere and you use priority tool to tell : do that before a lot of things...
it will throw out your builders from their builders jobs they were doing, and go do roads in wait the hunter cabin has everything.

i know it is not ideal but we need to be aware of this.
maybe your problem comes from there.
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

brads3

most computers can't handle the graphics and calculations after about 150 years.most of us crash right around there.so we never hit that high food limit. since you did,you could store some part of the year in a wharehouse.yes you will have to manuually set the wharehouse to take up excess food before harvest and then send it back out after winter as the bannies need it. or do the same thing with a trade post.only way i see you could store more food and still produce.

as for the builder,i wonder if maybe there is 1 item left in his way.if the laborers didn't clear everything for the foundation,the builder can't work. depending on mods,you could be hitting a limit with fodder or logs.or there isn't storage space for the items. if the main work pile is full,this will happen.did you set something out that the builders are stuck opn but can't build due to not having the materials?click the builder from the worker menu and then see where he is assigned to. sometimes the builders are waiting for materials and they walk around more than working.this can happen especially with decorations from CC.

RedKetchup

lol i never never crash  ::)

Nilla

Big towns have issues. Everyone who has built large settlements has experienced some weird thing.
1) maximum food production 999 999. Yes, the food production stops there but why does your town stop, just because the food production stops for some time? I guess you have a lot of farming and no farmer harvest anymore after you´ve reached 999 999 food. So what? You will survive for quite some time with that much food. You say that you have over 2500 inhabitants. A Banni needs 100 food each year, so in theory, with 999 999 you can survive almost 4 years but your Bannis will start to farm again next season.

2) Not working builders. I have seen the same/something similar in very large games. After a certain point, no one changes the profession anymore. I guess that the computer can´t make the calculations after a certain size of the city. My computer starts at about 4500 inhabitants but I guess that´s different depending on what kind of computer you have. I noticed this for the first time because it looked like nothing more was built. As I looked into it the builders lived very far away from the building site and were only walking to work and home again because they were hungry or cold before they could start to work. You can see it by all professions but it´s not that obvious.

Can you do something about it? You can but it´s tedious. You have to reassign the whole workforce manually; so to say do the work the computer does automatically by hand. All professions (except teachers) 0. Assign the workforce in the way you want to make the priority. I can remember in one game I tried this for some time, I started with the builders then the tailors (I had some issues to produce enough) and so on. No fun but possible.

Of course, your builders may strike because of something else. As others have said; there are many known and unknown bugs that preferably strike in a larger settlement.

3) Big game, slow run and lags. You can try to set down the graphic settings, you can use a mod that takes away the smoke and above all; don´t use larger maps than you need.

lasjoss

Yeah my town stopped working around 4500. they walked usually to far for things, and nothing was build almost. And many other problems.. so i guess Layout is importent for later stages.

uncajoe

About the food limit (999,999), Nilla, I reached the same conclusion in that game, but after a while it got kinda boring.  Things were about as good as they were going to get and my map was almost completely full, so I just closed that game out.

The Builders are different.  I've been careful to spread my "villages" evenly over the map, so it's not travel time.  I have enough Builders living in different areas that they can find work.  Laborers have finished all their work clearing land and laying the foundations, but to no avail.  I've prioritized building that are ready (with Builders living nearby) but no response.  I've tried reassigning them and getting new Builders, even eliminating ALL Builders and starting over, but again, no change.  It does seem to have some relation to population size, but in the 3 or 4 games where this has come up, the size varies.  Perhaps is just a flaw in the game.

RedKetuch, I learned the hard way about Builders and priorities, and sometimes it just doesn't make sense they way they behave.  I try to work around it.

As for my computer, I can't afford an upgrade now, much less a new one.  So, guess I'll just limp along with what I've got.

Thanks to all for the input.  I really appreciate it!

solarscreen

This game is a cpu game, gpu really doesn't matter.  I haven't done the critical analysis but once you exceed a certain resource, the proc queue starts growing and the game slows to a crawl, which means its not only slow, but game management like building and gathering commands don't get processed quickly enough and the game mechanics start to suffer.

At least in the vanilla game, too many barns can slam the game performance even at lower populations.  Reduce the number of barns or entities based on the barn to see if you can get some processor cycles back in your game.
Technology - Home Theater - Astronomy - Pyrotechnics

RedKetchup

Quote from: solarscreen on April 01, 2019, 08:52:18 AM
This game is a cpu game, gpu really doesn't matter.  I haven't done the critical analysis but once you exceed a certain resource, the proc queue starts growing and the game slows to a crawl, which means its not only slow, but game management like building and gathering commands don't get processed quickly enough and the game mechanics start to suffer.

At least in the vanilla game, too many barns can slam the game performance even at lower populations.  Reduce the number of barns or entities based on the barn to see if you can get some processor cycles back in your game.

oh yeah right, as i read what you said... i remember 5 years ago we found that, that too many barn was slowing everything up.

irrelevant

What?! I guess I missed this memo  ;)

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on April 10, 2019, 07:53:07 AM

What?! I guess I missed this memo  ;)

yay @irrelevant  who finally succeeded to post something !!

irrelevant

I can only post from work though, so I won't be posting much.

RedKetchup

Quote from: irrelevant on April 10, 2019, 01:37:43 PM
I can only post from work though, so I won't be posting much.

sad