Banished Vanilla or with Mods running extremely slow, jumpy, skipping!

Started by Jewels8, July 21, 2018, 04:37:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jewels8

Hi to all, I hope someone could shed some light re my problem that happened about a week ago, have done much troubleshooting and just cannot pin it down to anything I have tried.
I have run Banished Vanilla, Banished with MM alone and Banished with other Mods and nothing changes.
I start a new map and within a few minutes the game starts jumping, very staggered and at all speeds does not make a difference. The music sounds slightly distorted but I may me wrong there. I have uninstalled Banished and reinstalled, I lastly tried cleaning up files in regedit and doing this made no difference..I have checked the settings on my graphics card, it looks OK to me.
I have played modded Banished for years, and would build towns upward of 1000 citizens and at that point it was understandable if the game slowed down, but I hardly get to year 2 and the game is unplayable whether Vanilla or Modded.
I am stumped and have no idea what is going on, except that it is at the point I cannot play my beloved Banished anymore in the current status. If somebody has had any similar experience would love to hear :) Cheers from Down Under!

brads3

fif you do anything to your computer recently,like add anew program? that sounds like a computer memory issue more than the game.you can try to check to see if you clicked the vsync on or off.you  can also use the task manager to see what other programs are running and turn off 1's you aren't using while playing.

Jewels8

Thanks Brad, I have not installed any new programs, windows did do updates as usual but they never really affected my game in the past that I am aware. Vsync has always been selected as ON from the start so I don't think it is that. Going into task manager, I have looked and I am not really sure what programs I can close so I don't. Its just plain weird, I can workout problems with mod conflicts in the past but not this problem, how it started and why??

brads3

i take it you tried to turn mods off and the game still plays slow and jumpy? mine slows down with mods cconsiderably compared to vanilla. at 10x with mods it plays closer to what vanilla 1 or 2x would be. the newest version of the NAT DIV mod is known to do some of what you mention.my bannies would skip instead of walk or run.

Goblin Girl

I wonder if a recent Windows Update is causing this problem indirectly, by not communicating as well as it used to with your graphics card or by creating a memory leak.  Maybe check to see if there's a newer driver for your graphics card, and also try running the game with Task manager open so you can watch what happens to your memory.
Also, if you have Steam, Adobe products, or Microsoft OneNote installed, then check to see if they're hogging resources.  (Hint: they are.) You can shut them down via the task manager and see if that helps.  Adobe subscription service client is a terrible memory hog, so that would be my first place to check. 

Hmm.  Also I wonder if your antivirus could be causing it? 

Jewels8

Thanks @Brad yes as I said I tried running Vanilla and no mods at all and the same problem, added different kinds of mods and all combinations that I was running recently without this current issue.

Thank you @Goblin Girl,  I will take your suggestion and open Task manager and see what is hogging resources, I only have the Windows Anti-virus running which came with Windows 10. Hopefully I can resolve this soon one way or another!

RedKetchup

do you have a meter on your desktop that show all your cores and how occupied they are ?
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

galensgranny

@Jewels8 , I had something similar happen to me a while back, with my screen jumping, etc..  I did some things and now it doesn't do it.   I don't remember which of the following helped the most, but here are things to do:
First, that darn Windows update.  Even if you recently did one, it seems every so often Windows has more.  It seems to me that Windows is always updating!  (I have Windows 7.) If Windows has a new update, even if you have no idea, it will slow things down.  The other day regular internet browsing was getting tedious for me for days and anything I tried do on my computer seemed slowed down.  I checked for Window's updates, and sure enough, there were 5 new ones waiting, sneakily harassing my computer, until I told my computer to download them.  (Long ago I turned off automatic updates since it could happen at any time then automatically restart my computer.)  So, do check again for updates wanting and waiting any time things seems to not be running correctly with your computer.  Of course, you then have to restart the computer.
I have many, many, many mods loaded.  That will indeed slow down loading the game, but also with playing, depending upon your system speed, memory, graphics card etc.. 

If you have Steam, be sure to start in "offline mode".  Also, if you have not already, in Steam under their menu, Steam>Settings>In-game, and uncheck "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game".

If do not have the "no smoke" mod, to not show the smoke coming out of chimneys, I strongly advise you get it:  http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/files/file/20-bl-no-smoke/.

Regarding turning off unneeded programs in Windows Task Manager:I keep having "Java update scheduler"  If you do, turn it off.Turn off anything that says,  "update notifier", even if it is for your antivirus program.  Of course, after you play the game, and at some point restart your computer, it comes back and do it's notifying of you.
Turn off any of the Adobe programs, as Goblin Girl said.  Any Microsoft Office programs can also get turned off (excel, word, etc.)  I have "Malwarebytes" a malware cleaner.  That gets turned off.  I also have CCleaner, to clean out temporary files, etc. and that gets turned off.  Of course, all those programs can still be used if you want to, but they are not taking up memory waiting in case you want them, which you don't when playing Banished.
I have an Intel graphics card.  Things seem better if in the game options I turn off anti-aliasing.  I have "shadow resolution" and "shadow quality" set on low.   

Goblin Girl

I use Malwarebytes too, and it hasn't caused me problems.  But, different machines, with different configurations, so who knows.

galensgranny

It's not that the Malwarebytes causes any problems, Goblin Girl, but rather with my computer with limited memory, that is one running program to turn off so more memory is available for Banished to use.

RedKetchup

with galen's comment ... i am wondering about how many RAM on the PC and also important how much space left on the C:\ ??
> > > Support Mods Creation developments with Donations by Paypal  < < <
Click here to Donate by PayPal .

Gatherer

RealPlayer will also hog resources with it's many processes. When my pc is freshly started up I can see 4 RP processes in my task manager so I always close all of them before playing Banished.
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.

rkelly17

Quote from: RedKetchup on July 21, 2018, 05:18:28 PM
do you have a meter on your desktop that show all your cores and how occupied they are ?

Does Banished use more than one core? I've always assumed that it is a one-core program.

With the kind of issues being discussed here so much depends on what hardware you have. It is hard to suggest possible solutions without configuration information.

Hawk

Quote from: rkelly17 on July 22, 2018, 09:58:42 AM

Does Banished use more than one core? I've always assumed that it is a one-core program.

Here's a screenshot from a quad core CPU. As you can see, it looks like the majority of the CPU usage is on 1 core, even though the other 3 cores show a small amount. The amount on the other 3 cores is really trivial, I would say.
[b][i]Hawk[/i][/b]

[color=#800000][i]Yes, I can multitask. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.[/i][/color]

Jewels8

Had a break from Banished few days, my cat Charlie is in hospital hoping he gets better very soon :(

@galensgranny  I had many many mods at one stage too, until i just decided on the MM8 and RKEditorsChoice mod
I am still stumped, as I believe I have not made any changes to my system, I could easily run a game for many many years and huge populations and built up my cities and no issue until recently, I didn't feel I needed the no smoke mod, I have had a look at task manager when not running the game and then running game to see the difference, not much that I can see that I can actually shutdown and when I do try to shut some processes it doesn't allow it! Have attached some screenshots of task manager while playing to show the resources.
I do run the game offline from Steam, I do prefer it that way anyway. to @RedKetchup I have attached screenshots of my system, I am really not tech savvy at all, just capturing screenshots on Windows 10 was a bit of a challenge :-[ I have no idea about meters?  @Hawk  Cores? this is way beyond me..
When the game started to behave this way I spent much time working out if it was the mods and it clearly wasn't as I experienced same issue playing Vanilla..I recall months ago I had quite a similar occurrence and the only thing that eventually corrected it, was to reinstall Windows fresh clean start, I have found that when the Windows updates happen it does something for sure to gameplay!  Thanks kindly to you all for sharing  :)