THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiscoke

Thank you! Was waiting for this :)

theonlywanderer

theonlywanderer

@Tom Sawyer

Did you do something to slow down aging in North 7?  Sure seems like it.

If so, guess I'm done playing the North 7 mod.

Tom Sawyer

In version 7, the Norseman citizen mod is included. Mainly for the happiness change and to avoid useless happiness buildings but since aging is in same code section I had to decide for one or the other setup and so real time became default. You can choose your prefered aging by loading the Speed Aging mod on top. It sets it to vanilla speed but keeps all other citizen properties of the North. You can grab it right below the main mod on download page. I hope you are not done with it, at least not because of aging. :)

theonlywanderer

@Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the quick response.   If that puts aging back to normal, I'll give North 7 another go.   And yes, if I couldn't put aging back to normal, I'd be done with it.   Real time aging makes the game too slow for me and I'm not interested in making each round of Banished into a side career.   I think the original Banished designer saw the same issue and that's why he set the aging how it was.

Doctor_Dodo

@Tom Sawyer

I'm really impressed by the North 7. You've done a terrific job Tom! I love the Meadhall, the Thingstead, the trader buildings, the Stabbur and especially the Norse temple and the wattle fence.

Now, a question that's always comes up eventually, do you think it's compatible with for example Megamod or standalone Colonial Charter? I've been playing Banished in periods since it was originally launched, and I've grown very found of ghosted stuff like animals, lanterns, trees and road signs.

Tom Sawyer

Thank you! Nice to hear that from a true North guy. :)

CC/MM + North or vice versa will not work well. Too different and they would partly remove eachother. Such ghosted and deco items of course are not a problem. Maybe to add DS Fences and Decorations or is not there a MM deco pack? That would not cause problems. Other mods that match nicely are Kralyerg's Mini Buildings, DS Wagon Vendors or EB Oilpress for example.

taniu

@Tom Sawyer :D :D :D thank you for the beautiful mod - I am delighted - there is a great atmosphere - I like all new buildings and surroundings, but this is not an easy game - it's a rather difficult challenge - that's why I personally don't play pure North 7 - I added other mods - to make it easier for me - I'm testing the game -the game works - I can show the mods I've uploaded - I agree @ Nilla - Opinion - There are few animals on the board - I can barely see them - the game is difficult and requires a lot of experience - it can discourage other players. I have a question, but I will ask 2 posts. Greetings

taniu

@Tom Sawyer ;D Tom, you write that the Kralyerg's Mini Buildings mod - works in North 7 - but - there is a mistake - when it wants to run - Town Hall :( - the latest mod "Mini Buildings v 8" @ Kralyerg's - the game hangs - I think there are no options - -other buildings OK ? I put the mod above all mods and below - nothing helps. I have 2 questions, if you would be so good to me - can you make a small separate mod - Workshop building - where "Sauerkraut" is created - I would like to have it in other stories - not only North 7 - I will be very happy. Greetings

taniu

@Tom Sawyer :DI'm glad that I can breed reindeers - I've always dreamed about it - I have a lot of respect for you that you did the reindeer animation, so far we only had decorative reindeers from @ kid1293. I have a huge request, whether you can create a separate mod - reindeer :-[ :-\ breeding, as with "Black Grouse" - I will be very happy - it could be useful to players who have problems with North 7 and have computers with low graphics performance - not all mods can be played - it is now a lot? I am sending a small article about reindeer - if he would like to add some reindeer product, e.g. saddle or sleigh - a cool thing to play is just my idea. Greetings

taniu

Reindeer is not an animal fully domesticated by man, but widely used, among others by Samoyeds, Laplanders, and Tunguzes as pack, saddle, draft animals, providing milk, meat, skins, bones and horns. Caribou have never been fully domesticated [16]. Semi-wild Norwegian reindeer meat has a higher content of vitamin B12, iron, zinc and selenium than Norwegian beef, mutton, lamb, pork and poultry [17].
Reindeer (Rangifer tarandus, and known as caribou in North America), were among the last animals domesticated by humans, and some scholars argue that they still aren't fully tame. There are currently about 2.5 million domesticated reindeer located in nine countries, and about 100,000 people occupied in tending them. That accounts for about half the total population of reindeer in the world.
Reindeer Key Takeaways
Reindeer were first domesticated in eastern Russia between 3000–1000 years ago
There are about 5 million reindeer on our planet, about half are domesticated today
Archaeological evidence shows reindeer were first hunted by humans during the Upper Paleolithic of about 45,000 years ago
The same species are called caribou in North America
Why Domesticate a Reindeer?
Ethnographic evidence from pastoral peoples of the Eurasian Arctic and Subarctic (such as the Sayan, Nenets, Sami, and Tungus) exploited (and still do) the reindeer for meat, milk, riding, and pack transport.
Reindeer and caribou belong to the same species, Rangifer tarandus. Karibu live in Canada, Alaska and Greenland; reindeers live in Russia and Scandinavia.
@Tom Sawyer ;D ;D ;D as you can see they are very useful animals and can occur where it is cold. Greetings

Tom Sawyer

@taniu I think with DS Industry and Mining on top you make your game even more difficult. And I have doubts it works well together. With his latest beta versions he started to make a complete and different overhaul mod that is probably not compatible anymore.

About reindeer, I answered you back then. I don't have the model and also did not make animations for it. Reindeer in North is just vanilla deer with a new texture. I could only create what Kralyerg made with his "Deer as Livestock" mod and this already exists. If I would add my texture there, it would turn all deer on the map into grey animals. Same would happen with a ghosted deco deer mod.

At the mini townhall I will look and try to fix. It should not crash of course. Thank you for reporting. :)

Abandoned

@Tom Sawyer I have been looking at the new North 7 and find some nice new additions and interesting start conditions.  A lot of work went into this, thank you.  :)

On the first test map I had the same problem with mini Town Hall as taniu , the game froze up when clicking on it.  I disabled mid for 2nd test map.  I choose easy start and after 10 years I am still doing a lot of micromanaging, with food and firewood often in short supply but no one freezing or starving.  Health is up to minus a half a star and happiness is down 2 stars but I do not notice any ill effects to game play or production.

Maybe to keep in mind for any future update - the 3 overview windows could use a minimize button.  :)

Tom Sawyer

Good idea, I will look into this minimize button feature. Sounds useful. :)

taniu

@Tom Sawyer ;D ;D ;DYou're right about reindeer - you don't have free models to create reindeer animations - only the deer model - that's why these 2 species are gray.Still testing - 2 mods @ kid1293 must be at the top of the list - Kid Tiny v 2.02 because of Town Hall and Kid Animal Pen v 1.0 - production fertilizer.Regards