News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

THE NORTH 6

Started by Tom Sawyer, December 09, 2017, 01:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brads3

yes but the new grass looking houses override it when added with the North mod.

Tom Sawyer

No, I don't want to scrap any of my existing houses.^^ The very first red ones were recolored vanilla huts and replaced then by the red cottage. They are still in game with vanilla texture.

Both new house types can be single mods then @zak4862. They are not connected with any special production chain or balancing. Only clay will be necessary for the frame houses as not vanilla resource. Turf or peat I will probably keep as a free resource just taken from building sites or from the surrounding area. So the turf houses are made from a few wood and stone but with a reasonable building time. With thatch I'm not sure yet but I tend to keep it free as well. It is nice to have wooden and thatched roofs as F variants.

Is this first stone church something nice and worth to create for Banished @darnokthemage?

zak4862

Awesome news. Thanks.
   Regards   zak4862  :)

Nilla

Quote from: darnokthemage on July 24, 2018, 09:06:29 AM
Earliest Swedish stone house is a small stone church from the 1040s in Varnhem, Sweden. Some of the more complicated stone buildings could maybe need a stonecutter?
One of the program I saw was about this excavation. Unfortunately I don't think there's more than a few walls found, and I don't think they've made any reconstruction. They think that it was made after English model, so if you want to make more Nordic stone buildings @Tom Sawyer , maybe you can look at Britain. The history of Scandinavia and Britain was very much connected at the time of the vikings.

darnokthemage

Tom Sawyer

Hi Darnok, not really something to show yet. I finished the frame houses and a matching storage building. Now I have a couple of workshops in Sketchup for pottery, tailoring and other things to build a Viking town with more diversified professions. Another thing I started is a pagan temple similar to the old stave churches. I will write another diary post then. :)

zak4862

Hi Tom!
These are some promising news. If you have time could you post some pictures of your progress.
   Regards  zak4862  :)

Tom Sawyer

I did right now @zak4862 .. Modding-Diary August 2018

It's about some work in progress, such as pit houses, pottery, tailoring and a windmill. :)

zak4862

Thanks mate!  :)
   Regards   zak4862

P.S. I look at the pictures. Nice work.

darnokthemage

darnokthemage

I would also like to see that we could get a way to produce dried fish and butter, since these were the main produces of medieval sweden. Maybe make it Dried Herring? If we ever get a sea map i would very much like to see a sea fishery.

Tom Sawyer

Thanks for the link @darnokthemage. There are lot of pictures to get some more inspiration.

About the resources: When making the dairy hut I had butter as the simple product before salt is available for cheese making, but changed it to skyr for a more north specific item. I'm not sure if we should have more than 2 products from milk. Actually I try to avoid foodstuff without any different productions or properties. Maybe there can be a difference in gameplay and I don't see it yet. Maybe at least different workshops.

Unfortunately, maritime maps cannot be done. It's alway a kind of valley surrounded by mountains. The only option we can try are fishermen virtually going down the main river by boat and coming back with seafood. Necora did it with this workaround in his maritime set and why not. The thing I dont like with it is that the fishers never really use their boats or leave the hut. Maybe to give it a try and to see how it feels in game. It could be the third fish species connected with the fishing hut I wanted to make anyway. Hering sounds good, or cod to make stockfish in the traditional way.

In general we have to care about the balance between different food types. There are already so many protein items compared to the other types. Even more of them can makes it more difficult to keep people healthy. For now, I put it on the list. :)

darnokthemage

A pretty easy thing i wish you would change is so that if we place several house extensions side by side they won't conflict.

Tom Sawyer

@darnokthemage, can you show a screenshot what exactly do you mean with conflicting house extensions?

Gatherer

@Tom Sawyer Any chance you could separate village shop from Red Cottage mod and make it a standalone mod?
There's never enough deco stuff!!!
Fiat panis.