News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Looking for: Slowed tree growth

Started by Nicole9, May 16, 2019, 01:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicole9

Hi. I am looking for a mod, i'm not sure if it exists but I thought this would be the best place to ask.

I was looking for a mod that slows tree growth in some scale slower than the vanilla game, so that my villages can practice more realistic forestry coupled with the slower pace of 1 year = 1 year playthroughs.

Thanks if anybody knows a mod like this, and I am sorry if this is in the incorrect place to ask.

Tom Sawyer

In the North things grow slower, forest trees as well as fruit trees. It's about twice the time to grow. Still far from reality but noticeably slower. Fully realistic would be almost unplayable and it also needs a scaling that counters unrealistic area and tree numbers. If you like a small tweaking mod instead, it would not be a big deal to make.

Nicole9

I've tried your North mod - I really love the models and believe they are some of the highest quality released in mods, but I haven't been able to use the full overhaul itself, due to conflicts with a few other mods i'm sure your aware of that can't be helped. So the slowed tree growth  (which I didn't know was included) is something I wouldn't be able to use with the current set of mods I use for most realistic playthroughs.

I was hoping to find a small tweaking mod, I know there are quite a few on steam workshop that mess with food/aging etc, that can generally be used with most mods, but I never was able to find one that slows tree growth (though several increase it)

I understand having it entirelly realistic/1:1 growth would make the game pretty close to unplayable, but I would like to experiment with something like 50% slower growth, but I am clueless on how to use the modkit or mess with the game

Tom Sawyer

I meant it would be not a big deal to make for us. Here is something to experiment with a slower tree growth. It separates a few things of how it works in the North for a bit more realistic forestry and without making the game harder. More changes are done in main mod but that leads to conflicts with other mods. When I started modding for Banished, I made something to simulate forestry even more real but felt back to playable values for the mod. So let me know if you are interested in more experimental stuff. Here is what is included so far and download below:

• Trees need 6 years to mature (vanilla 3.3) and die after about 30 years (vanilla about 16)
  • Cutting down a tree gives 6 logs (vanilla 2-3).
  • Forester Lodge radius increased to 34 like Hunting Cabin to balance depletion
  • Foresters default 2 (vanilla 4)
www.banishedventures.com/downloads/TreeGrowth.pkm

Artfactial

Those changes sound really good! I think they fit well with a one-year is one-year time passing. But I can imagine construction will be quite slow and firewood a very commodity to put much though behind.

Nicole9

I'm trying the mod out now! Really incredible that you would create a separate mod, your a boon to this community  ;D

I'll put the mod through a normal 50~ years playthrough today and see how it works in practice.

I have been interested in having wood become more of a critical resource than it is in the base game, forestry management is an often overlooked aspect of pre-industrial and industrial history. In reality, every tree within a pretty great distance of an urban area would have been forested, but in my "realisim" playthroughs in banished, the forests usually grow quicker than I can cut them, and I end up having dozens of stockpiles and warehouses just to store the excess wood growing into areas that are supposed to be open, without even managing the forests further away.

From what you described in your post, it sounds exactly like what I was hoping to find.

Thanks!

Tom Sawyer

Can be you need to start over with this mod or at least it will need time to see the effect if added to a running game. But wood a more critical resource rather not yet with this tweak. The output of logs over time is the same as vanilla and even more at the beginning. It becomes then equal because of the slower growth and just feels more realistic since you can't watch them growing anymore.

To make it more rare will need extremer values. Up to 10 years to mature worked in my tests. With even slower growth, foresters tend to end up in christmas tree plantages and the radius would have to be extended a lot but maps and walk distance are limited. To simulate what you describe needs a more complete overhaul. In main mod I removed sustainable forestry from early game where you can only build woodcutter cabins that doesn't care about planting plus wood extensive productions like charcoal burning (iron processing) and glass making. Just those things that caused deforestation in history. Together with the DS Industry mod it got even that switch from a wood dominated economy to coal/coke industry and we linked the mods together already but was not really finished.

If you like to experiment with more than this tweak, let me know. :)