News:

Welcome to World of Banished!

Main Menu

Forest Village

Started by Gordon Dry, September 09, 2015, 09:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abandoned

QueryEverything

For those that aren't subscribed for updates or news, LiF, Forest Village has been updated.
New kid models, which is good, and quite a few other overhauls that are extremely impressive.  The notice is on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/496460/announcements/detail/469904564209620667
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]

embx61

We had this debate before and unless the devs from FV went to Lukes House, started up his PC and downloaded the Banished C++ Source code on a stick it seems very unlikely they have the source code stolen for Banished.

They took a lot of ideas from Banished and copied maybe some Icons and layout and UI stuff but I am quite certain they not have Reverse Engineered the Banished Source Code.

To complete reverse engineer compiled source code is a major pain in the butt if even possible at all. It is faster and easier to just write the code yourself. What you get if you load Luke's code into for example OllyDB is a bunch of Memory Addresses and Assembly code.
[size=8pt][color=teal]My beloved Kathy
As you were you will always be
Treasured forever in my memory[/color][/size]

[size=10pt]For my list of Mods with download links go here[/size]

QueryEverything

I gave Forest Village some game time again today, and I'm still on the fence with it.

I wrote up my thoughts over at BL, but will copy & paste here too.
http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/885-forest-village-mods-and-modding/&do=findComment&comment=7604

Also updating some screenshots I did today of my hill terraform :D

I have a few hours under my belt in the game, and what I can say so far:**disclaimer, I last played: In Dec/January (until today after the update) - In fact I can't even see the 'last played' info on it, and my Son can't see it on my 'Friends' data page on Steam

Better: 

• Night / day cycle: you can actually have a cycle - making it longer gameplay - it also add diversity to what you build, and makes things more usable (lamps etc)
  • Better camera: I think we can all agree that the Banished one needs an overhaul.  You get some really good angles natively, and the First Person 'for the day', is good (though I got severe motion sickness so I won't do that again)
  • Better terraforming:  Says it all really - we got none in the base game, but thanks to some clued-in modders, we got add-ons - which I'm thrilled with - but they have limitations.  I keep cutting my bannies feet on all those hard edges - not to mention the unsightly way the texture is finished (which is why I hope someone puts out a mod that is a ground covering to change the 40x40 hill I collapsed  ).  BUT - whilst it's better terraforming, it also falls into the 'con' category (below);
  • Native flora & fauna, and those amazing bears
  • Initial load time was zippy fast
Con:

• Terraforming:  Whilst its 10x better than Banished (100% better as it comes in Vanilla), it is extremely awkward to use.  It took me a full night/day cycle to level out some land for a new house, only to realise it was out by a 1/4 tile, and my builders wouldn't build there - I had to level it again, then it went too low.  I managed to get it right, but I lost man power, and my food wasn't all harvested in time.
  • Slowness:  Look, Bannies are slow arsed at the best of times, so my 10x speed is 'normal' for me, but, the same has happened to FV.  I feel that it's like walking through Mumma's potato & bacon soup, thick and lush, but, in a game - it's too thick.  I remember in 1st person chopping a log, OMG, was sooooo painfully slow
  • Large, chunky buildings - but this is also personal preference so some may like them this way
Notes:
As for the mods that are out now:
Most I would definitely use.  The game is ...  it is good and I like the graphics, but like Banished, it has it's "Danger Zone", you will be punished swiftly ingame for failing to supply XYZ or you will not get certain resources etc - like Banished - but, I feel that the game had too big a learning curve, and was too slow.  Definitely the wood mods, food mods, and the climate mod. 

In the first few hours I played, it got through to Winter in what felt like overnight, and you had very small chance of getting things done, with what you needed to do so before then.
Some players will really like this style of gameplay - the survival game vs the settlers game; and some will really enjoy the pace, but for me I like to build and explore, and face some night terrors - but I don't want to die within 5 minutes either

I originally wrote about it in December 2016 over at World of Banished, http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1012.msg26540#msg26540 for those interested in seeing what my initial thoughts were.

-----

It took me a good couple of hours to get into the game, I started again today - it's not bad, but, my patience is a little thing.
Maybe in a few days when I'm back in my routine.
[color=purple]~ QE, I query because I like learning new things.  [/color]

Banished pinterest & Banished mod ideas
[color=teal](Gently) Please: if you download mods please rate them, this helps & encourages the modders. :) [/color]